F-16 MFD Readability

USA_Recon

Thank you for the official response NL. My concerns have been allayed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Hey guys, we are aware and have answered this in other threads. We plan to implement brightness, sym brightness, and contrast. Also, have the option to remove reflections.

Can that be a global option? There might be a special place in hell for the guy who insists on baked on cockpit reflections in all DCS modules. There is time yet to repent.

Edited by ///Rage

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

We plan to implement brightness, sym brightness, and contrast. Also, have the option to remove reflections.

Just an FYI, I don't think anyone's noticed that the MFD brightness rockers are already functioning as of the most recent update. Current max brightness is still inadequate, it should probably go up to 11. :smilewink:

An option to remove reflections (MFD's and canopy!) would be fantastic. Baked reflections became obsolete the day head tracking was invented. A dynamic reflections option would certainly be welcome.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Hey guys, we are aware and have answered this in other threads. We plan to implement brightness, sym brightness, and contrast. Also, have the option to remove reflections.

Wow, that sounds great. Although I'd love to see realtime reflections there (guess that's something for the next iteration of the rendering engine). I'm glad we will at least be able to switch off the static one.

By the way, we'd still very much appreciate to have a hand shadow feature to block off the light causing those reflections. I mean, we do have hands already in VR... they could cast shadows...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Are you guys saying that even zoomed in you can't read the MFD's? In Wags videos it looks easy to read them when zoomed in. Also, is this just a VR problem or even without VR too?

I'm worried about this as i'm only a couple of days from buying the Viper and my vision sucks.

Buzz

Are you guys saying that even zoomed in you can't read the MFD's? In Wags videos it looks easy to read them when zoomed in. Also, is this just a VR problem or even without VR too?

I'm worried about this as i'm only a couple of days from buying the Viper and my vision sucks.

I would wait until they implement brightness and contrast options if you have vision problems but per the man himself, there is no timeline for that so you will be waiting a while. My vision is fine but it strains the hell out of my eyes.

GTX 1080ti FTW3, Intel I7 9700k 5.0Ghz Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Z370, Rift S

BuzzU, I do not have VR, zoomed in they are difficult to read.

So much so that I only go sight seeing.

I would wait if I were you, I wish I would have waited...

aka Badger

X570 Aorus Master, Ryzen 3700X @3.8, 32GB DDR4@3200,RTX1070 Super, GTX 1070Ti, Win 10 Home, HOTAS Cougar, and some other DoDads

This is what confuses me. Look at Wags mini update when he zooms in. I can read it easily. Is he using some fix you guys don't have yet? Yours doesn't look this good?

Its zoomed in and can be post proccessed.He probably can run on higher settings too in a pretty sterile environment for demonstration purposes.

GTX 1080ti FTW3, Intel I7 9700k 5.0Ghz Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Z370, Rift S

I'll wait. I'd hate it if it's a problem to read the MFD's. I'm still flying the Viper in the other sim. I have been for a decade, so it's not like i'll miss flying it in DCS. I still have the Tomcat to try.

As a fellow 20 year "other sim" flyer, I can say quite confidently that you'll be disappointed with the current look of the MFD's. I have a Valve Index and a Samsung 49" 144Hrz gaming monitor and both are very hard to read. It was easier to see before the release of TWS and Link16. With these features all hostile contacts are red and it's not possible to see their vectors without zooming in. So if you're used to seeing something along the lines of the below screenshot which shows exported MFD's and gauges using Helios and YAME, you will be very unhappy. Keep in mind that the screenshot below is not using the native graphics for the other sim but photo realistic images supplied by YAME. I will also say in ED's defense that the rest of the cockpit in VR and on a monitor blows the other sim out of the water.

6C8F238D-5939-4D72-A035-93A9F85ED988_zpsxstoudur.jpeg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Wicked...........Actually, I don't see your screenshot well enough. I'd have to zoom in. My vision is really poor and not getting any better at my age. Even as good as the DCS Hornet is I have to zoom in for everything.

How does the DCS Viper look zoomed way in? I'm used to zooming in and it wouldn't be a bother to do in DCS Viper as long as it's clear zoomed in. I use Trackir and a 1920x1080 single monitor. I use mostly all high graphic settings.

I wear glasses and can't use the Trackir zoom because then my glasses would be out of focus, so I have to use the sim zoom.

Buzz

Wicked...........Actually, I don't see your screenshot well enough. I'd have to zoom in. My vision is really poor and not getting any better at my age. Even as good as the DCS Hornet is I have to zoom in for everything.

How does the DCS Viper look zoomed way in? I'm used to zooming in and it wouldn't be a bother to do in DCS Viper as long as it's clear zoomed in. I use Trackir and a 1920x1080 single monitor. I use mostly all high graphic settings.

I wear glasses and can't use the Trackir zoom because then my glasses would be out of focus, so I have to use the sim zoom.

If you have trouble with the Hornet and need to zoom in to see clearly, it will be so bad in the Viper you may not be able to use it. At least for the MFD’s. I can see the Hornet DDI’s and MPCD clearly at a glance. I don’t need to lean in at all. Whereas on the Viper I almost always have to zoom to see the vectors of the contacts. Even zoomed the lines and characters are faint. The only time I’ve seen them come close to the way they look in Wags videos is with the sun behind me and zoomed in. Even then they are still faint.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you’re using 1920x1080 res for your monitor it might not be as difficult to see. I use 3840x1080 on my monitor which crams more detail into a smaller space. 1920x1080 gets less into the screen but makes what you do see larger so it’s possible it will be ok.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the link. I’ll install and try it tomorrow.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is what confuses me. Look at Wags mini update when he zooms in. I can read it easily. Is he using some fix you guys don't have yet? Yours doesn't look this good?

I'm also confused by this, because I'm running DCS on a full HD screen (not VR), with all settings maxed out and the F-16 MFDs doesn't look anywhere as clear as they do on Wags video. I really hope they have improved readability on their internal version that Wags was using when making this video, so that it will improve for us as well with the next update.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm using TrackIR with an Acer Predator X34P and have no issues, whatsoever, to read the MFDs, leaning in a bit.

Testing a Rift S I was annoyed by its low resolution, but leaning in certainly didn't have any problems reading the MFDs, either. Given that the RL MFDs are only 4''x4'' and basically mounted above your knees I think they are pretty spot-on.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

I'm using TrackIR with an Acer Predator X34P and have no issues, whatsoever, to read the MFDs, leaning in a bit.

Testing a Rift S I was annoyed by its low resolution, but leaning in certainly didn't have any problems reading the MFDs, either. Given that the RL MFDs are only 4''x4'' and basically mounted above your knees I think they are pretty spot-on.

So your MFD's look like this? This is a real F-16, the camera used for the picture looks to be on top of the helmet and therefore not at true eye level.

Take a look at the second pic. Again another REAL F-16 though this one has the older monochrome MFD's. This one is on display at the Smithsonian. The camera used to take this pic is obviously older as there is blooming on the text in the MFD. Regardless it is VERY bright. If your system looks as clear as these please share you voodoo graphics settings because I can come nowhere close to the brightness and contrast of the MFD's in these pictures. Also would you mind posting a screen shot of your cockpit?

Thanks

IMG_2064_zpsxzjyr4gz.jpg

IMG_2067_zpsvjip9uso.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My MFDs look like the do ingame right now. Could they use more brightness / contrast? Maybe. All I'm saying is "I don't have readability issues with them, and judging from the real displays I saw sitting in a real F-16, they seem spot-on to me".

Will post a leaned back and leaned in screenshot with some action on the MFDs if I find time besides trying out the JF-17 tonight :D

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H