Your Harrier on AWLS

Captain Orso

... :huh:

I know I should not think too much... maybe at all, but between the Pocket Guide and Chick's Guide and simple logic... I have a headache.

So I have a couple Excedrin Migraine-Strength questions.

Channels: Are these an invention of DCS, or are they a real thin in the AV-8B? What really has me asking this question, is that it seems so completely ridiculous to store every piece of information, except the runway heading. Or am I missing something?

Okay, that's enough for the moment. I'll probably come up with some other questions, but not more time right now.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Channels: Are these an invention of DCS, or are they a real thing in the AV-8B?

Yes, channels are a real thing.

Radio channels are setup per briefings, flight plans, SOPs, etc.

AWLS channels are similarly configured but AWLS in the real AV-8B is the same as the Hornets ICLS - not compatible with civilan ILS and used to land on the Tarawa in Case II or Case III landings, etc.

ICLS uses higher radio frequencies and a narrower beam width than "normal" ILS.

The AN/SPN-41A Instrument Carrier Landing System is a pulse coded scanning beam (PCSB) emitter that transmits elevation and azimuth guidance signals to appropriately equipped Navy and Marine Corps aircraft.

The AN/SPN-41A radiates two coded microwave beams into the approach volume behind the ship.

The signal coverage from each beam is approximately 20-degrees to either side of centerline and 0 to 10-degrees above the horizon for a range of 50 miles

It is not compatible with ILS as found at Batumi, Kobuleti, etc. so you won't get localiser or glide slope indications.

What really has me asking this question, is that it seems so completely ridiculous to store every piece of information, except the runway heading. Or am I missing something?

AFAIK the 'real' AV-8B has a +200 point data library that is used to store GPS coordinates for Nav aids, divert airfields, etc. and the info can be copied/pasted to tactical waypoints if needed.

I don't think the AV-8B MPCD pages have a 'divert' page like the A-10C that lists all the nearby airfield information, if that's what you are expecting.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

For one, the Pocket Guide says that all you need to enter is the AWLS CH channel, which Chuck's Guide says you have to enter everything, including the course. The Pocket Guide doesn't even have entering the course as an option.

The Pocket Guide say that Ils_az_os and Ils_el_os in 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit\Scripts\RadioNav\AN_ARN128_config.lua'are azimuth and elevation offsets in feet from the runway to the station, but they are all set to 0, so that is wrong, otherwise the TACAN sender would be right in the middle of the runway.

I watched a tutorial today in which it was shown that to line up with the localizer you don't steer towards it, but steer the localizer toward the velocity vector. But you steer the velocity vector toward the Horizontal Glide Slope reference bar. Neither guide says anything about how to do it. But it seems crazy to do one thing for lining up with the runway, and another to remain on the glide slope.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I watched a tutorial today in which it was shown that to line up with the localizer you don't steer towards it, but steer the localizer toward the velocity vector.

Wasn't this long time ago identified as a bug (or am I remembering wrong)? I agree that this is totally counter-intuitive from a pilot's perspective.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I watched a tutorial today in which it was shown that to line up with the localizer you don't steer towards it, but steer the localizer toward the velocity vector. But you steer the velocity vector toward the Horizontal Glide Slope reference bar. Neither guide says anything about how to do it. But it seems crazy to do one thing for lining up with the runway, and another to remain on the glide slope.

If it's the same video I watched (Redkite's?) then disregard that piece of info - it was a bug, the localizer behaves properly now - thank god.

What I've found out: everything but the channel are options.

Push AWL on the UFC, push ON/OFF to turn to ON, push CH on the ODU, input the channel number on the UFC, push ENT on the UFC, switch HUD Mode to VSTOL and you're in business.

All the other inputs, as per Chuck's Guide are optional, and from my understanding absolutely unnecessary or actually detrimental, other than perhaps changing the glide slope if you wish.

Yes, the localizer is now to be chased.

I really need some practice on this system. Once you hit the entrance to the glide slop, depending on the angle you enter, you could be oscillating back and forth with the localizer until you settle down on the glide slope. I guess to use it optimally, you should have two waypoints ahead of the glide slop to get you pretty much lined up with it first.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler