KH-66 GROM Not locking or following beam

Realmslayer

Not sure if this is actually a bug, or if the fix was finally implemented.

The radar should not be able to enter a locked state in fixed-beam mode. You have to fly it on by keeping the pipper on the target now, as you would need to in a real MiG (albeit one with an RP-21 radar, as the 21bis' RP-22 isn't actually compatible with the Grom at all, but was handwaved to give us more toys to play with). The ability to lock the beam before was not a realistic feature, and could actually be exploited to act as a boresight lock for air-to-air use as well.

On a real bis your fixed beam is for slant ranging during A/G attacks.

• Like 2

The radar should not be able to enter a locked state in fixed-beam mode. You have to fly it on by keeping the pipper on the target now, as you would need to in a real MiG (albeit one with an RP-21 radar, as the 21bis' RP-22 isn't actually compatible with the Grom at all, but was handwaved to give us more toys to play with). The ability to lock the beam before was not a realistic feature, and could actually be exploited to act as a boresight lock for air-to-air use as well.

For me it is definitely not locking on ground, never tried KH-66. I didn’t know the locking on an air target with fixed beam was not real though, that used to be my go to, but I can live with it if it’s for a good reason:)

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

On the other hand "in firing of the gun and launching of rockets at ground targets...in the GYRO, AUTO mode:...© check to ensure the radar range-finder has locked onto the target, referring to illumination of the LOCK-ON indicator light;"

I'm guessing that the radar doesn't lock onto a point of the ground angularly but instead is body-fixed to the automatic pipper location or is gyroscopically free to maintain the same spatial angle. It does say the lock on light should come on for rocket attacks with the RP-22 radar. But perhaps it's best to replicate the RP-21 since that's what any actual Kh-66 operator would have to deal with.

For me it is definitely not locking on ground, never tried KH-66. I didn’t know the locking on an air target with fixed beam was not real though, that used to be my go to, but I can live with it if it’s for a good reason:)

I actually flew the module for a full year and a half before I found out about it (by being told) :lol: It was like discovering a whole new plane. R-3R as a dogfight missile was hilarious.

I actually flew the module for a full year and a half before I found out about it (by being told) :lol: It was like discovering a whole new plane. R-3R as a dogfight missile was hilarious.

It's like playing darts at 1100km/h. And the dartboard is on a wind turbine.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Just tested the kh-66, seems that it isn't going for the radar beam at all. It just launches and goes into the ground. I guess we need to know the new procedure.

• Thanks 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

The AA missile type preference switch has nothing to do with delivery of an AG guided rocket. You don't even have to be in AG although you should really be in whatever state is normally appropriate to deliver S-24 rockets. As long as the radar is in fixed beam mode (locked or unlocked) and the Grom comes off the rail it will guide. You can even use the emergency launch button under the red cap on the dashboard.

I recommend setting the AUTO/MAN sight switch to MAN and setting the angles knob so that the movable pipper overlays the lower standby pipper X exactly. Alternatively you can use the lower X on the standby reticle. Then you will have a radar boresight reference for delivery. If the switch in AUTO the moveable pipper will fix to the zero degree position which is not the fixed beam radar boresight.

No. Im on OB. Have you guys checked that "lock" command is working. In controls list does it go to lock command when you press it. In cockpit you can see the lock button move on flight stick ( just below trim).

You have realistic ASP pipper enabled?

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

Oh, so "realistic ASP" is the change mentioned on the first page? I guess its working then. With realistic off you can lock, with it on you cant. I usually used Auto mode and it seemed to work for giuded delivery but it doesn't work with realistic ASP. Setting it up manually as mentioned above worked well.

I do not find this to be true. I have realistic pipper set to on and I lock the ground just fine. As far as I know the only thing that this option affects is whether the pipper floats around when AA missiles lock on to airborne targets or not.

Can you record a track with the realistic setting not working? I'm curious.

Locking in realistic mode didn't seem to be working because a) the pipper no longer stays on your target like in non real mode, and b) in auto mode the pipper marks wrong spot. Like guided delivery you have to use manual mode and lower pipper.

So those are the differences when using realistic ASP. Use Manual mode only and the pipper doesn't stay on target when you lock.

Edited by cthulhu68

Just the got the GROM working again by activating the "realistic ASP pipper" AND(!) "experimental features" under special options. Now the pipper won't lock onto the ground, but the GROM will go were you locked the radar beam. For targeting i use those small crosses of the fix net HUD.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Just the got the GROM working again by activating the "realistic ASP pipper" AND(!) "experimental features" under special options. Now the pipper won't lock onto the ground, but the GROM will go were you locked the radar beam. For targeting i use those small crosses of the fix net HUD.

Experimental features only affects realistic SPO-10 simulation

Maybe i just needed to disable and enable the realistic pipper to make the missile work again. More important, i can deliver the GROM onto targets again.

• 2 weeks later...