Move Radio & Message windows near Right screen mod

Snacko

This mod is for triple screen users with a screen res of 5760x1080. There are only 3 files updated. If you want to modify this for your screen res search the LUA files for my comments with the name 'SNACKO'. You will find the lines that I changed. In general, the game defines a 'draw area' where the Radio or Message windows can be drawn in, and then it defines their locations within these areas. It's a bit confusing, but if you remember that, it will help.

This mod moves the Radio and Messages windows to the right side of the center monitor on triple-screen setups. It also makes the text larger.

This is for use with JSGME, but if you manually install this, please backup your stock files.

>> Get it here! <<

11/28/16: Updated for DCS World 1.5.5

Edited by Snacko
  • Like 1

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

This is a GREAT mod for triple screen users - well done Snacko!

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

• 1 month later...

Excellent idea, but there are one or two problems. One I have been able to fix, the other I'm still looking for a resolution, so if you have any ideas that would be great.

1. My tripple screen setup uses bezels (150 per intersecting screens), so I've added a bezel to your mod.

Simple fix really:

Line 58 added:

TDbezel = 150 --TD add bezel width

Line 60 modified:

window:setBounds(2*(main_w+TDbezel),0, main_w, main_h) -- SNACKO CHANGED: GAME MESSAGE DRAW 'AREA' STARTS ON 3RD MONITOR.

2. There are 2 types of radio messages in the game. Those that stem from the trigger "RADIO MESSAGE" and those that stem from the trigger "AI PUSH TASK" + selected message.

The problem is that these types of messages get superimposed with your fix.

This I have not been able to fix... See image

There is a thrid issue too, also related to the "AI PUSH TASK" messages: they get too wide. When they are displayed on the 3rd monitor, the fact that the text spans almost all of the screen width (0.8* the width in fact, line 82 in the original file) makes them hard to read. It would be great to keep also these to 600 pixels.

But the fix for the problems 2 and 3 are really to push down the Radio Message window calles "pLentaTrigger" as long as a message windows called pLentaRadio is open. And to make pLentaRadio 600 pixels wide too.

I just don't have the skills necessary for this.

Capture.thumb.JPG.2b13cae4bd9294363ec9f9575235fbfc.JPG

If those msgs you are talking about are the msgs from the tower, air, awacs, etc.. I did not move those. And the other msgs are on the right. For my triple screen setup they don't overlap. So I'm not sure what is happening for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

• 11 months later...

Yes, I found that out last week. I hope to fix it soon.

I think it's fixed.

Get it here.

Snacko, I wouldn't ask if I didn't already spend hours trying to do it myself, but is there any chance this mod could be tailored for single monitor?

In any event, thanks for what you have already provided.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Where would you have the radio and messages moved to on a single monitor?

I think in the stock game they're ok for a single monitor. It's with my triple monitor it puts them way over on the right which doesn't really work..

I run a 65" curved 4k monitor. These old eyes struggle with the Radio Comms and Mission Texts.

I've been using an old multiply patched mod that center tops and enlarges the radio menu. I've managed to keep that one working.

I also run the Chat Enhancer/Text Enlarger Mod (just the Text Enlarger component) to enlarge the mission texts that appear on the upper right corner. That one has been borked by recent updates, just as described by AuntyStatic in post #5. It can probably be fixed with your most recent update. Sorry to say, I have not been able to sort it out, nor have I been able to convert your mod to single monitor.

Bottom line is that I'm happy with larger fonts in the aforementioned config (although center top Mission Texts as well would be even better).

Being able to consolidate with just one mod would be awesome. I'm not looking for a customized mod but would truly appreciate a tweakable Fixer-Upper.

Thanks again for any advice.

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Being able to consolidate with just one mod would be awesome. I'm not looking for a customized mod but would truly appreciate a tweakable Fixer-Upper.

It sounds like you just want to merge your mods into one? You can always copy them into one jsgme folder unless they use the same files. That's where you need to look at the differences between the files to merge them. I use a Compare Plugin with Notepad++ that compares files side by side so you can see what's changed. Very handy and necessary..

If you zip them all up and post them to me I'll take a look. If there are not too many files I will try and merge them. I won't be moving any menus or text since I don't have your resolution/setup. But I can try and merge what you have got. It may look funny on my rig, but if I can get it to just display, that's the best I can do. No promises.

I made my mod for the same reason. I'm an old geezer too and can't keep cranking my head around on my triple screen to read that tiny text. :cry:

It sounds like you just want to merge your mods into one? You can always copy them into one jsgme folder unless they use the same files. That's where you need to look at the differences between the files to merge them. I use a Compare Plugin with Notepad++ that compares files side by side so you can see what's changed. Very handy and necessary..

If you zip them all up and post them to me I'll take a look. If there are not too many files I will try and merge them. I won't be moving any menus or text since I don't have your resolution/setup. But I can try and merge what you have got. It may look funny on my rig, but if I can get it to just display, that's the best I can do. No promises.

I made my mod for the same reason. I'm an old geezer too and can't keep cranking my head around on my triple screen to read that tiny text. :cry:

I could combine the mods no prob. The reason why i have not is that it makes makes it more difficult to trouble shoot after updates. I think if I had your mod converted to single monitor, i would be ok.

JUST CHOPPERS

Could you mock up a screen so I know where you want things? My mod splits the radio menu and messages on the right side of the center screen and left side of the 3rd screen. I can't just move 2 screens to 1 screen. I'm not sure where you think things would go..

This is what I got currently. The mission text would be showing higher up in the right corner if the radio comm menu wasn't showing at same time.

Having the mission text centered would be ideal but this current location is ok if cant be easily changed.

Getting the mission font enlarged is the priority.

455376403_TEXTENLARGEPIC.png.87a884cabe48c1dceebc2ea524666efb.png

JUST CHOPPERS

This version centers the Radio menu on your screen, and moves the messages to the right side of the screen. You might want to rename the mods folder name since it is describing my other mod.

In the download is a test mission that displays a large message in-game so you can see the size of the message window and that it is working.

Cheers,

Snack

Snacko, that rendition puts the Radio Comm and Mission texts in good position but the font sizes are not appreciably larger. I tweaked the Radio Comm fonts to optimal size for my setup but I don't know where or how the Mission Message Font sizes are changed.

JUST CHOPPERS

Drop the attached gameMessages.dlg into the UI folder of the mod.

Lines # 292 & 336 (fontSize) were added to adjust the messages font size.

Cheers :smilewink:

I also updated the normal Triple Screen mod so that you can also change the Font Size to whatever you like.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2019016/

• Like 1

My Man! I'll test it tonight.

JUST CHOPPERS

Worked out great. Critically important to my sim experience.

I'm truly grateful for your responsiveness and your time.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 3 months later...

Hi Snacko,

Those who are having a VR seem to have issues with the menu. the size of the menu panel is too small, and text is cropped from the menu panel if the amount of menus is too large.

Would you be able to do something on this by making the menu panel larger?

Sven

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

Hi Snacko,

Those who are having a VR seem to have issues with the menu. the size of the menu panel is too small, and text is cropped from the menu panel if the amount of menus is too large.

Would you be able to do something on this by making the menu panel larger?

Sven

Are you talking about the Radio menu? Or the Message window? Main Menu?? Not sure which one. I have an Oculus Rift and the menus look ok for me in VR.

Do you have a screenshot?

EDIT:

I took this screenshot. it does not do the VR view justice. In VR it is readable and looks ok, but maybe a bit too far off to the right.

411288989_VRRadioMenu.thumb.png.dd64362b784009fb706d3b4f33b5da2e.png

Edited by Snacko

• 4 weeks later...

That clock?

I didn't even know it existed.

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk