Have the Hornet devs moved back from the Viper?

Arctander

Such a shame when a post like this appears. It serves to casually disregard all the ongoing work since the Hornet entered early access, the near fortnightly effort to update the module, and the depth of systems already available. It’s disappointing for the team working on the Hornet to read.

That's because you're not considering anyone else's point of view.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I think he is right,because don't buy a early access product,when you don't know what it means.

It is Final when its final and should cost 99$ then.

And please ED,don't put EA Products on Sale anymore, before the actually Product is Final.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

No I think he is right,because don't buy a early access product,when you don't know what it means.

It is Final when its final and should cost 99$ then.

And please ED,don't put EA Products on Sale anymore, before the actually Product is Final.

I think everyone knows what an early access program is, and that there are implicit risks. What we didn’t see coming was a deliberate decision to launch another EA product and then proceed to divert staff from this project to that project.

That is where the ire comes from, at least from most of what I am seeing, not strictly a ‘this is taking to long’ but the why. If things are taking a long time but every effort is being made then so be it, that is not the case here. We all know that this isn’t down to individual devs, nor the public faces of the company, we appreciate their work, many of us do not appreciate the decisions made above them.

I think everyone knows what an early access program is, and that there are implicit risks. What we didn’t see coming was a deliberate decision to launch another EA product and then proceed to divert staff from this project to that project.

That is where the ire comes from, at least from most of what I am seeing, not strictly a ‘this is taking to long’ but the why. If things are taking a long time but every effort is being made then so be it, that is not the case here. We all know that this isn’t down to individual devs, nor the public faces of the company, we appreciate their work, many of us do not appreciate the decisions made above them.

This is the main point indeed after we were told the one wouldn’t impact the other. I think it is also that we are seeing some systems working in the Viper before the Hornet (like TWS and Nav aligning).

And I also think once a certain level of weapons are available for A2A and precision ground strike focus switches to ‘gaps’ in system implementation, like avionics, sub modes of weapons, and other quality of life builds to ‘core’ systems instead of building more and more incomplete weapons.

I think the model of ED putting out a system incomplete, and then moving on needs to change if possible. I’d like to see systems put out with all modes available before moving to the next. Hopefully the upcoming pipeline/roadmap will help with understanding.

Edited by Arctander

Yes me also and I love Eagle Dynamics Simulations since the beginning of LockOn,because anything else on the Software market, brings me so close to one of my passions. I test all other Simulations and spend a lot of money for FS Planes and Maps,but nothing compares with Lomac or DCS for me.

I hope also for a completed FA/18,but I also own the F-16 and like to fly them today as it is.

But hey,why they work on the FA/18 before they complete my Mig29, with a proper Pilot Body?

Edited by TOYKILLA

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

Yes me also and I love Eagle Dynamics Simulations since the beginning of LockOn,because anything else on the Software market, brings me so close to one of my passions. I test all other Simulations and spend a lot of money for FS Planes and Maps,but nothing compares with Lomac or DCS for me.

I hope also for a completed FA/18,but I also own the F-16 and like to fly them today as it is.

Same.

The reason I voice concern on here though, is because ED needs to keep the more casual player happy. They can't only rely on the fanatics like us!

I think a lot of us probably feel like that tbh...

Agreed. I think they need an income stream separate from planes and maps to be able to find improvements to the core sim, and remove the reliance on pumping out EA module after EA module.

It would require I think a ‘major version’ paid update. You can choose not to update and still fly all the planes you have purchased. Paying for the update is the for the core sim, any planes purchase are licences you you for any major version release. I would expect MP servers would update to the latest versions

Anything is better than this ‘robbing Peter to pay Paul’ EA focus.

Thats definitely the wrong way and would reduce the Community dramatically.

ED Knows best. They are not nearby's in this Game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thats definitely the wrong way and would reduce the Community dramatically.

ED Knows best. They are not nearby's in this Game.

So what would be your solution to stopping the need for ED to continue releasing EA modules and reducing support on previous ones, or are you happy with the status quo where (for example) ED takes 6 years to make Huey have multi crew support, or are unable to work on two high fidelity jets at the same time?

ED knows best and I think they don't need our help to continue the work. I think they do they best,to keep us all happy and make DCS better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok - so you see no issue with the situation where ED are forced to push out more ea products than they are capable of supporting at any given time in order to stay profitable (as admitted bu Nick Grey, the owner).

See this link in case you were not aware:

So what would be your solution to stopping the need for ED to continue releasing EA modules and reducing support on previous ones, or are you happy with the status quo where (for example) ED takes 6 years to make Huey have multi crew support, or are unable to work on two high fidelity jets at the same time?

What I'm hoping is that this is the 'getting worse before it gets better' phase.

I think instead of developing individual modules, they're spending more time working on core functionality that can be transferred from one to the other (TWS between Viper and Hornet for example). That's going to require some patience now, but should allow faster development in the future. Fingers crossed anyways.

What I'm hoping is that this is the 'getting worse before it gets better' phase.

I think instead of developing individual modules, they're spending more time working on core functionality that can be transferred from one to the other (TWS between Viper and Hornet for example). That's going to require some patience now, but should allow faster development in the future. Fingers crossed anyways.

That is the party line ED are taking, yes. Quite why they are doing that foundational work on the second module (Viper) now and not in the first I do not understand.

Ok - so you see no issue with the situation where ED are forced to push out more ea products than they are capable of supporting at any given time in order to stay profitable (as admitted bu Nick Grey, the owner).

No, or did ED announced another EA Module ?

Wat do you actually want? The F-16 brings more new players to or Multiplayer Servers and this is a Win win Situation for all of us. They said it's a EA with mutch to do,but here you can fly it already now. The systems are not the same like TWS,but similar and can develop for Both planes.

In the Time we write here our emotions down,we can also Fly on a good Server,and have fun while playing DCS.

Edited by TOYKILLA

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So a new weapon and datalink pod isn't even considered a minimal update?

No one ever wanted a Walleye to begin with. The TGP is a hot mess and lacking 80% of fucntionality, radar is buggy and half finished, JDAM launch zones, GBU-24, proper INS/GPS simulation etc. The list goes on and you get the point. I guess people are generally upset with the way things are progressing due to the lack of focus on systems people actually want. Just my take on it.

I tend to give a lot of slack to games developers of niche products like hardcore race and flight sims. My gaming history goes back to the 90s and products from the likes of Microprose, Spectrum Holobyte & Papyrus. All studios that were closed down as gaming moved into more profitable ventures and "hardcore" titles fell out of favour.

There have been a number of approaches by studios to be able to achieve their aspirations to make titles for a niche market. Enthusiasts creating products for enthusiasts and making it somehow viable when the big publishers no longer have any interest. Be it subscription models, crowdfunding, corporate projects to fund consumer products, early access and so on.

Innovative approaches to be able to create the products we, as enthusiasts, wish for. Created by enthusiasts for whom the work is as much a labour of love as a means of making a living.

It is perhaps something of a romantic notion but the enthusiast community and enthusiast developer relationship does exist to some degree. Unfortunately as with any forum there is some degree of hostility from paying customer towards their service provider's development progress. Personally I think this can somewhat lack the understanding that the alternative may well be a lack of viability and just like the demise of Microprose, Spectrum Holobyte, Papyrus, Sierra etc. we only appreciate how fortunate we were for their existence after we mourn their loss.

I am not suggesting we shouldn't keep ED and others on their toes with our insatiable desire for more content and high quality products but we have to appreciate viability has to remain of paramount importance as without it we would be much sadder!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

No, or did ED announced another EA Module ?

Wat do you actually want? The F-16 brings more new players to or Multiplayer Servers and this is a Win win Situation for all of us. They said it's a EA with mutch to do,but here you can fly it already now. The systems are not the same like TWS,but similar and can develop for Both planes.

In the Time we write here our emotions down,we can also Fly on a good Server,and have fun while playing DCS.

What I actually want is for ED to remain a sustainable business AND to complete products without taking resource off it to release a new product.

That they cannot develop the F18 and the F16 together at the same time indicates that they are trying to do too much (plus the Jug, Hind, Mosquito, A10 retexture and upgrade to the Hokum).

So what I want is to know - in the future - if I were to purchase an EA module (but that will never happen) - that ED work on it WITHOUT slowing production.

What I actually want is for ED to remain a sustainable business AND to complete products without taking resource off it to release a new product.

That they cannot develop the F18 and the F16 together at the same time indicates that they are trying to do too much (plus the Jug, Hind, Mosquito, A10 retexture and upgrade to the Hokum).

So what I want is to know - in the future - if I were to purchase an EA module (but that will never happen) - that ED work on it WITHOUT slowing production.

I can understand you,but I'm happy with my DCS and been every day Online the last days. I use a fantastic running HP Reverb,a 2DOF SCN5 Motionsim with Lince 2.0 for DCS and today I paid and received Simshaker for my 4-Channnel Setup and this runs absolutely astonishing. Man with this Hardware combination, it's an

unbelievable Home Combatflightsimulation and really a Dream come true. Yes a feature complete FA/18 would be great,but for now, it's ok to have some fun with it and live the Dream in my F-16 also.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You REALLY just deleted a comment because it mentioned another sim!?!? seriously? :megalol:

I´m not a moderator :music_whistling:

Really? You cannot mention another company that makes flight sims as well or it will get deleted?!

Wow. That’s bad form. Hell. Not even Star Citizen or Elite:Dangerous do that!!

check the rules, that is a DCS forum.

https://forums.eagle.ru/rules.php#en

1.15 Discussions of other game companies products are not recommended as they can create personal friction with users who enjoy such products and potentially create issues with competitve manufacturers which is not helpful. We do not allow the reviewing of, or direct comparison of other competitive software here. Posting news updates or advertising other products or games is also forbidden (unless approved by an admin). Abuse of other companies and/or anyone related to those companies will not be tolerated. ED also reserves the right to remove any thread or post about another game or company it deems doesn't comply with this rule.

And about WW2, can talk with KickStarter WW2 1944 backers members over "freezze" all WW2 modules and WW2 assets pack.

Edited by Silver_Dragon