Stick In Front of HSD

hellking

Can somebody explain why the stick is right in front of the HSD and blocking the HSD view in normal trim? I thought this could be a bug, but then I noticed something similar in cockpit photos of real F-14's.

To see the HSD I am having to pull the stick back and pull 5 G's :lol:

Can somebody explain why the stick is right in front of the HSD and blocking the HSD view in normal trim? I thought this could be a bug, but then I noticed something similar in cockpit photos of real F-14's.

To see the HSD I am having to pull the stick back and pull 5 G's :lol:

Just tilt your head left or right if you have track IR or VR. If not, then maybe ask Heatblur to implement a hide stick option like there is for the F-18.

I agree. I always wondered how they designed this for the real planes (f18, F14 etc)

I have to tilt my head and yank the plane left to look from the right. it's the stupidest thing.

again, not heatblur, but actual plane design.

hide stick will be very helpful lol

I almost wouldn't mind if the screens were the other way around, and the attitude indicator/TV were at the bottom - those screens I only really need to see the middle, not the very bottom of the screen so I could probably cope with that being obscured. Can't for the life of me understand why they'd design it so the TID/HSI is obscured when you need to see the entirety of the screen for it to be useful. Maybe we're just spoiled being used to looking at the full screen and maybe the F-14 pilots of old would just trust that their RIO knew what was going on and wouldn't bother watching the TID.

I always wondered how they designed this for the real planes (f18, F14 etc)

Having two eyes in real life allows you to see around the stick much more easily. It's like aiming down a rifle sight with two eyes open.

This goes for a lot of target-obscuring cockpit elements that are less troublesome in real life, but unless we can convince developers to use some very fancy transparency to emulate the effects of binocular vision, we're stuck.