2080Ti and VR Benefits

hansangb

So I did some testing today with the latest beta patch. I wanted to check out the new P51D textures. So I flew the P51D Instant Take off mission in NTTR. I flew ground level through downtown Vegas.

In FA18 Take in PG Map. Instant action missions Take off & VFR Landing. Also flew at ground level through downtown.

The picture is terrible because I had the Rift on and wanted to take it while in VR (Pic of the desktop).

And I got pretty much solid 45FPS. It might have dropped off to 38 for a second here and there. But almost always at 45FPS. I believe I turned on all the things that eat FPS (shadows, SS/PD 1.8/MSAA 4X) and it was just fine at 45FPS. Anyway, just wanted to provide another data point.

Settings were

Oculus Tray Tool. Super sampling 1.8. ASW Off.

DCS Settings:

Terrain HIGH

Texture HIGH

Water Med

Vis Range HIGH

Heat blur Low

Shadows HIGH

Res of Cockpit 1024

MSAA 4X

Depth of field OFF

Lens Effect None

Blur and SSAA OFF

Slide bars, you can sorta see. Tree and Grass were maxed out

Anistropic 2X

Terrain Obj Shadows Default

Cockpit Illum On

RWc2N9U.jpg

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

What CPU and what clock speed?

VR is historically CPU bound, so that will go a long to to interpreting these results. What GPU Core Load % were you holding while flying? What did it drop to (or did it not drop?) when you saw the FPS come down to the 30’s briefly?

Thanks for the results and enjoy the new card man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Also, it’s best to bench in a premade mission with a ton of units on the ground. VR becomes a problem when unit count goes up (like MP or elaborate SP missions), so that’s where you’ll want to see how it’s performing.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

The system specs are in the spoiler alert. :D

Edited by FragBum
<typo>

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

What CPU and what clock speed?

VR is historically CPU bound, so that will go a long to to interpreting these results. What GPU Core Load % were you holding while flying? What did it drop to (or did it not drop?) when you saw the FPS come down to the 30’s briefly?

Thanks for the results and enjoy the new card man!

I can try a mission if there's one for me to download. HW Spec in .sig, and it dropped for a second to 38.

However, when I landed in the FA18 BFR mission in NTTR (I think it was), I went into the concourse area of LAS airport. By where the 727's were hanging out. And as I taxied in between the commercial jets, the FPS dropped to 28.

I'm going to do some more testing. I use Instant Action because everyone will have a the frame of reference.

If anyone wants to give it a shot and post the FPS, maybe we can get some comparison going. It will help those shopping for VR/GPU/CPU.

I'll see if I can get more detail via third party software on GPU/CPU usage. But no promises since I have a new CNC to play with LOL.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Don't think its just a 2080Ti benefit. I've noticed significant improvemenst in Caucaus F18 free flight through the valleys with maxed out MSSA, SSA and anisitropic filtering hitting mostly 45fps whereas before 2.5.4 things would be at a crawl.

i7 7820X OC @4.8GHz | Dual GTX 1080Ti | 32GB DDR4 3000 | Samsung 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64 | Samsung Odessey | TM Warthog | TM Pedals

Don't think its just a 2080Ti benefit. I've noticed significant improvemenst in Caucaus F18 free flight through the valleys with maxed out MSSA, SSA and anisitropic filtering hitting mostly 45fps whereas before 2.5.4 things would be at a crawl.

I've tried that in the past, maybe two updates ago?, and I didn't really have any issues with maintaining 45FPS. Even when I had the 1080Ti. The only one that caused issues, this is a while ago, was the CAS Insant Machine in Normandy. It's gotten progressively better where maintaining 45FPS was doable. It would dip to high 30's though. I'm going to test that next.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Try the 'Sitting on the Ramp' Hornet Persian Gulf Mission. Look at the (horrible) fps immediately, go to runway, look to the left at the other parked hornets (see the drop?), take off, fly to 300, go to sea, then turn and fly over all the populated areas at low altitude, rolling 45 degrees left and right.

That is the real test!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Try the 'Sitting on the Ramp' Hornet Persian Gulf Mission. Look at the (horrible) fps immediately, go to runway, look to the left at the other parked hornets (see the drop?), take off, fly to 300, go to sea, then turn and fly over all the populated areas at low altitude, rolling 45 degrees left and right.

That is the real test!

Will give it a shot today/tomorrow. Yesterday, I tried everything I mentioned above using 1.2PD. Saw no difference. I'll give 2.0 PD a whirl. I'm glad it's performing well at 1.8 since I expect my Pimax 5K+ in a month or two or three :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Did the Ready on the Ramp, PG. Without shadows, solid 45 to 90FPS.

I did your route. look at the parked FA18s, Went to the sea, over the containers, over the palm island. jinked towards Burj Khalifa, came back, made a left to the air strip and landed.

With shadows on HIGH/DEFAULT, 28 FPS when looking at the other planes.

Solid 45 to the see, over the containers. At see, hit 90. But then when you start jinking left and right, the shadows sweep across the cockpit. And the FPS drops to mid to high 30's then settles down to 45 when the shadows stop moving around.

I'm going t download FCAPS VR from NVidia and see how many frames are getting dropped.

The above is all with PD of 2.0 (up from 1.8 of my original test). ASW is default.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---