2dof Motion Reality Chair with DCS

=DECOY=

So recently i purchased a 2 DOF reality seat for DCS.

I have added the Jetseat motors within the Chair for added effects.

here is a Video of a settings test, if anyone has one of these i would welcome any settings advice :)

Here is the written review on this chair

2 dof review.pdf

2dof review.pdf

Edited by =DECOY=

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this thing really only $1000? It seems that the buyer provides the chair- does it come with a frame on which to mount ones peripherals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, yer the buyer provides the chair but everything else is provided, if you wish to have an extra mount they may charge and extra $50 but so far this set up has been amazing.

I have had this for a month and no problems to date

I'm going to make a review video as not many are out there so hopefully can post one later for you ;)

This looks very interesting! How do the rift sensors keep track with the chair movement?

No problems at all. I have two sensors facing the front of the chair.

Even with one I had no problems at all.

But how does it distinguish between headset movement due to the chair and your movement looking around? or is the sensor mounted to chair so chair movement is zeroed out?

No they are in the room corners. To date I haven't noticed any issues with the chairs movement effecting the headset position.

Normally I'm moving my head so don't notice and change. Although I'm sure it will slightly move.

Hey Ravens, Very nice!

I'm quite interested in this so could you answer a couple of questions?

First off, how do you find the senasation of movement?

Does it take the joystick inputs from DCS and accurately translates this into movement of the rig?

How noisey is it when running?

Did you have to pay import duties? (I'm also in the UK ).

Do you know if it would take a centrally mounted joystick?

Many thanks!

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

No problems :)

First off, how do you find the senasation of movement?

The movement is only slight as you can see in the video BUT the sensation is very realistic, it's like starting in the rift for the first time - you will get motion sickness again :)

But it's a must have for vr, the Emerson is there, I tend to be aware harsh turns will be violent so I try to be as smooth as possible.

Does it take the joystick inputs from DCS and accurately translates this into movement of the rig?

Setup is tricky without a hrlp section within dcs, I'm 98% there and willing to help anyone out. But in short yes it's there (I'm going to do a full video to show this soon)

How noisey is it when running?

This is a bad point for me, the electrics box has two small fans which are set to run at a very high speed, it is noisy. I had to place resistors in the fan loop to slow them down as the speed is way to high.

The noise is now the same as a pc running.

Did you have to pay import duties? (I'm also in the UK ).

Nope ;) nor tax l the way they shipped this was as warranty parts so it avoided these fees which is a great saver, but I advise you mention his when placing an order

Do you know if it would take a centrally mounted joystick?

Yes it will, it comes with various options for mounts, I chose the side mount as it's more comfortable for me

I hope this help but i will make a full review video shortly

Hey Ravens, Very nice!

I'm quite interested in this so could you answer a couple of questions?

Many thanks!

Edited by =DECOY=

No problems :)

I hope this help but i will make a full review video shortly

Excellent! Many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I look forward to your review video!

One quick question, in describing the setup as tricky without having a "hrlp section" in DCS. Is that refering to the name of the unit?

Cheers!

Edited by Ratcatcher

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Hahaha I ment help. My bad spelling ;)

As in help from others who use simtools, the application you use for motion platforms ;)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

LOL, ah that ...helps!

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Will be having another read tomorrow.

Stand by for some more questions! :D

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Will be having another read tomorrow.

Stand by for some more questions! :D

Anytime :)

Hello mate,

First off, having just re read the review, just wanted to thank you again for taking the time to do this. I found it immensely helpful!

OK, on to the questions. :)

1: You say the fans are very noisy ( though must admit the video recording you put up didn't sound too bad ) but hard to judge as to what sound levels your recording at, I'm listening at, etc. The swapping out to quieter ones, is that pretty straight forward? ( I have done own builds of PC's but am not the most talented DIY'er by any means ).

2: The connections to the PC, how long are they? Just thinking about how much space I can set this up in and how close it needs to be to my PC.

3: The Chair - I was thinking of buying a car bucket style seat ( hopefully second hand ) how easy is it to fit the chair? Do you need special brackets, etc?

Right, I think that's all...for now ;)

Hello mate,

First off, having just re read the review, just wanted to thank you again for taking the time to do this. I found it immensely helpful!

OK, on to the questions. :)

1: You say the fans are very noisy ( though must admit the video recording you put up didn't sound too bad ) but hard to judge as to what sound levels your recording at, I'm listening at, etc. The swapping out to quieter ones, is that pretty straight forward? ( I have done own builds of PC's but am not the most talented DIY'er by any means ).

2: The connections to the PC, how long are they? Just thinking about how much space I can set this up in and how close it needs to be to my PC.

3: The Chair - I was thinking of buying a car bucket style seat ( hopefully second hand ) how easy is it to fit the chair? Do you need special brackets, etc?

Right, I think that's all...for now ;)

1 Yer the fans are easy to change within the box it's simply a case or removing the positive and negative wires from the psu and adding the new ones :)

2 the cable is 3 meters. But you could extend or simple use a longer cable. :)

3 all depends on the seat. The bottom of the seat will need to be flat to fit on the frame, normally a car seat rail is needed. (Also allowing seat adjustment)

But you can simply use a few

Strong metal u brackets from your local diy store if you don't have the rails

But I would advise using the seat rail.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Certainly does, thanks again!

Thanks for this review and heads up on the product, couple questions:

In your video, when making those 90 deg banks, the chair only moves 10 or 15 degrees, is that very noticeable, or is your mind tricked with VR?

When you accelerate or decelerate on the runway, does the chair pitch forward (simulate decel) and pitch back (simulate accel and g force in crease) while the image in VR stays flat? this is how real full motion simulator fake acel and decel

You went with 2 DOF, do you reget not getting 3 DOF? Do you think it would add more or not?

Does motion sickness come from latency or just from moving?

When doing dog fight maneuvers (fast rolls and sharp moves) does the chair keep up, or does it feel off? Is it better for more benign maneuvers versus acrobatic/dog fight?

Thanks!

[sIGPIC] "GOONIE" [/sIGPIC]

"GOONIE"

CSG-1 VFA-25

Thanks for this review and heads up on the product, couple questions:

In your video, when making those 90 deg banks, the chair only moves 10 or 15 degrees, is that very noticeable, or is your mind tricked with VR?

When you accelerate or decelerate on the runway, does the chair pitch forward (simulate decel) and pitch back (simulate accel and g force in crease) while the image in VR stays flat? this is how real full motion simulator fake acel and decel

You went with 2 DOF, do you reget not getting 3 DOF? Do you think it would add more or not?

Does motion sickness come from latency or just from moving?

When doing dog fight maneuvers (fast rolls and sharp moves) does the chair keep up, or does it feel off? Is it better for more benign maneuvers versus acrobatic/dog fight?

Thanks!

Hi capthaltli yer the chair only moves a small amount but the feeling feels much greater in VR, it certainly feels like your banking harder than the chairs movement.

Regarding the acc / decelerate, this is the surge part of the axis> when you accelerate or decelerate the chair pitches on and down slightly - giving the feeling of motion

The only difference between the 2dof and 3dof is a (loss of traction motor) this pivots the back of the chair left of right. the only thing i feel this could add is the rudder effect or if your in a chopper, the helio swing motion (rudder)

Do i regret not getting it. Not yet but i will I'm sure, however you can add the 3rd motor with an addon pack. I believe its $499. i may get this in the future but im happy with the 2dof for now :)

The motion sickness was purely down to the chair movement, or the brain believing your motion is great than it is

In regard to the chair keeping pace, this is a tricky one, the tuning and smoothing of the sim motions is a rather tricky for me. im 90% there, nut having to learn the program aswell.

If i fly the mirage with its high turn rate over say the L39, you do notice a slight motion lag. BUT only if your out of Vr,

Once your in VR even the slightest lag isn't noticeable.

However tuning Simtools is a totally new arena for me and I am always tweaking to get the setup better and better, others have simply told me it takes time to setup. its not an out the box setup. much like chasing fps i guess :)

IF a database of settings existed for DCS, life would simply be easier for tuning, however we dont have one yet, but im willing to share my findings with anyone :)

also i forgot to mention you can increase the bank angle of the chair, still awaiting new on the max degrees possible. once i learn the program for this i will be doing it :)

Thanks for the update and info.

Also, thanks for being a trail blazer using this technology and tweaking the system settings. I may be next.

Trying to understand the surge part. When you are on the runway and go from zero to Afterburners lit, the seat will surge up (vertical up movement) to simulate accel. Similar for decel but with serge down?

Keep us posted on the max bank news (is it for both axes, or just roll?). Maybe a video from take off, dog fight, and landing would be good to show extent of ops and how it performs. Of course I know it will not speak to how it feels in VR and agree once in VR with slight motion the brain is going to do the rest of the work.

[sIGPIC] "GOONIE" [/sIGPIC]

"GOONIE"

CSG-1 VFA-25