F-16 Emergency Hook

Nightsniper_1

Will the Viper have a functioning emergency tail hook? Don't know if this would be a wish list thread, there are pictures and articles online showing the tail hook, it would be interesting to land the viper on the Stennis :D:D

i5-7600k @ 3.8 GHz, Strix 1050ti OC, 16 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 Ram, Corsair H110i, 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Windows 10 64-bit, Track IR-5, Saitek X-56

F-15C, A-10C, F-5, M-2000C, UH-1H, F-86F, AV-8B, F/A-18C, F-14 A&B, F-16, F-15E, F-4E, P-47, Tornado, F-111, Mirage F-1, A-29 :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wonder how many - 'will we get a hook, can we land on the carrier' threads the Viper will generate over its lifetime...we are off to a good start, yes it's been raised already https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243094&highlight=hook

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Will the Viper have a functioning emergency tail hook? Don't know if this would be a wish list thread, there are pictures and articles online showing the tail hook, it would be interesting to land the viper on the Stennis :D:D

The F-5 has the hook and can be landed on the carrier. I don't know if they will model it with the F-16 or not.

I hope they do, I'd love to attempt a few carrier landings.

The Hook will be there (it's there on the F-5 and on the F-15 too).

Is it intended for carrier landings? No!

Will people try to use it on carriers anyways? They sure will, as they always do...

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It’s be great if it had an accurate damage model and just ripped right off of if and when used on the carrier, along with the landing gear collapsing.

What we do need is runway arrestor gear at military airfields so we can use the hook for its actual purpose when you have hyd faults or gear problems.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

It’s be great if it had an accurate damage model and just ripped right off of if and when used on the carrier, along with the landing gear collapsing.

... and the airframe itself also being ripped to pieces probably. From my understanding the entire subframe needs to be reinforced for Naval aircraft.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Even if you COULD potentially stop a Viper in the space of the deck of an aircraft-carrier, the bird would never fly again even if it actually stopped and didn't rip itself to pieces before heaving itself off the flightdeck.

The hook on a Viper isn't strong enough for that amount of stopping-power. If a Viper takes the arrestor-wire on a normal airfield, it will be in the hangar for a LONG time afterwards for structural checks.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

If they do model the hook, I wonder how many tread we will see about it not going all the way back up. The tail hook is extended by the same nitrogen accumulator that extends the Landing Gear in an emergency. But the actuator only goes one way (down with the hook) A spring raise the hook of the ground when there is no pressure on the actuator, but the only way to stow the hook is by manually raising it by ground crew. The hook also has a shear bolt, allowing the hook to sway left to right if needed. This normally has to be replaced after an barrier engagement.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I found it interesting that they also use the hook when ground testing engines. I knew they tied it down but was unaware the hook was used in that test. Interesting that the F-15 and F-22s have the "standard" retractable ones like the Navy and marines use.

A nice little read on the hook:

https://flyingwithfish.boardingarea.com/2012/12/26/reader-mail-why-do-air-force-jets-have-tailhooks/

I found it interesting that they also use the hook when ground testing engines. I knew they tied it down but was unaware the hook was used in that test. Interesting that the F-15 and F-22s have the "standard" retractable ones like the Navy and marines use.

A nice little read on the hook:

https://flyingwithfish.boardingarea.com/2012/12/26/reader-mail-why-do-air-force-jets-have-tailhooks/

In the F-117, you did not use the tail hook for maintenance runs. You had to used cables attached to the main landing gear.

This website also states:

When a pilot deploys the hook a pneumatic system disengages the pin and thrusts the hook down, keeping the hook approximately eight inches from the ground to catch the raise arresting cable.

This is also incorrect.

Many U.S. Air Force runways have an emergency arresting cable hidden in a recess of the runway surface. Should an aircraft suffer a hydraulic problem, brake failure, or need to abort a take off on a short runway, among other potential situations, a pilot will call “cable, cable, cable,” alerting the tower to raise the arresting cable from its runway recess.

This is not true either. Runways with the cable barrier, the barrier is there and there are warning how it can strike low aircraft like the F-16 if you go over the barrier going to fast. On some runways, the cable will get installed or removed depending of the direction of takeoff or landing to try to avoid cable strikes on aircraft. But the tower does not "raise" the cable what ever that means.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

To whom it may concern,

This is not true either. Runways with the cable barrier, the barrier is there and there are warning how it can strike low aircraft like the F-16 if you go over the barrier going to fast. On some runways, the cable will get installed or removed depending of the direction of takeoff or landing to try to avoid cable strikes on aircraft. But the tower does not "raise" the cable what ever that means.

There are variations around where the tower can control the height position of the cable. Stowed position and up position for landings.

The F-5 has the hook and can be landed on the carrier. I don't know if they will model it with the F-16 or not.

I hope they do, I'd love to attempt a few carrier landings.

Geeeze...You Air Force guys need to stay away from our Navy Carriers...We don’t really need a bunch of burning airframes cluttering our deck.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

There are variations around where the tower can control the height position of the cable. Stowed position and up position for landings.

Learn something every day, never saw that.

To whom it may concern,

Geeeze...You Air Force guys need to stay away from our Navy Carriers...We don’t really need a bunch of burning airframes cluttering our deck.

Speaking of carrier decks, it would be cool to add the safety barrier to our ships. If they model the tail hook on the 16 with no real purpose for DCS, the the catch net would be no problem (I kid).

Yes it will be there (Wags confirmed if you pay attention or watch his academic videos released so far for the Viper). As others have stated - the Viper would disintegrate upon the wheels touching down / hook grabbing arresting cable.

And correctly pointed that if by some miracle that didn't happen - it would never fly again. If you managed to land it on the carrier, and grab a cable - then do subsequent repairs - how do you plan on getting back off the deck? No launch bar.

There are several threads about this nonsense already, let's use the search feature rather than create a bunch more fantasy threads.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Yes it will be there (Wags confirmed if you pay attention or watch his academic videos released so far for the Viper). As others have stated - the Viper would disintegrate upon the wheels touching down / hook grabbing arresting cable.

And correctly pointed that if by some miracle that didn't happen - it would never fly again. If you managed to land it on the carrier, and grab a cable - then do subsequent repairs - how do you plan on getting back off the deck? No launch bar.

There are several threads about this nonsense already, let's use the search feature rather than create a bunch more fantasy threads.

Cheers,

Don

Miracles abound I guess. Wonder why you test a system that would destroy an $18 million plane that would never fly again?

Miracles abound I guess. Wonder why you test a system that would destroy an $18 million plane that would never fly again?

What? I don't understand what do you mean?

Are you referring what daarseth posted? If so, I think he meant the F-16 on a carrier (daarseth: please correct me if I wrong) The stopping distances and force are very different. Airfield barriers/cable are not at the very end of the runway ( on most cases) So the aircraft has time to slow down a bit and the barrier it selt takes much longer to slowdown the aircraft when compared to carrier systems. IIRC, in Aviano AB, Osan AB, Kunsan AB, Eielson AFB, Luke AFB and Holloman AFB the cable barrier was move to the opposite runway from landing. So, for example if they landed on 18, the barrier would be on 36 side or end, hope that makes since

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

Wonder why you test a system that would destroy an $18 million plane that would never fly again?

Your video clip is of a runway barrier arrestment, a completely different beast to a carrier trap.

No F-16 was ever carrier-capable, not even the USN (T)F-16N.

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb

Here an example on OSAN AB. The video is about U-2, but on landing (@2:40) the chase car start at the end of the runway. Note that you don't see the first barrier until 2:48, and there is not cable across the runway. Second barrier station at 2:58, no cable across runway. Crash recovery installs or removed the cable across the runway as needed IIRC.

qjqAOu7zHyY?start=160

To whom it may concern,

Yeah that is an emergency arresting cable test, completely different than a carrier arresting cable assembly/system. Plus the rate of fall is drastically different. F16 landing gear and airframe CANNOT handle carrier landing. Period.

That video is comparing an apple to an orange. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria