Reputation System

NineLine

• ED Team

Today we have disabled the rep system. As time has gone along we have notice the system getting abused more and more. We have received a number of complaints and have decided to disable it. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns on this.

Thanks!

NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

That's kinda sad, it's good because there will be no abuse, but it's bad because I no longer can give a feedback on people's post.

To me, abuse is the only one cons here, there are many benefits of having a reputation system on a forum like this. This is a forum for discussions, and having a way to see if someone has a good or bad reputation helps a lot.

In theory, it works almost like a democratic system, if the community likes what you do, you have a good reputation, if they don't, it's the opposite and it is in fact quite simple.

Without any reputation system, you no longer can give or receive a feedback, you no longer know if you were too rude, too aggressive or something similar.

If the community does not like the way you talk, the way you treat others, you'll have a terrible reputation, I don't think anyone here wants that, therefore you need to be polite and respect others. Obviously, there are rules covering that.

I've been here for a few years and I like the system, so if you could, please consider bringing it back. Please.

Removing it completely might not be the best solution, perhaps improving the system will make it better, and we will not feel the lack of it. It's important!

So if I had to say something, it would be; bring it back with improvements, labels giving you instructions on how it must be used, and a rule covering the system, in case of abuses.

Thanks.

+1 Vítor.

Dont remove the system, improve It. If people abuse the system find better ways to implement it.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

How about just positive reps? That way "we the people" can approve/like a post, but cannot wreak vengeance on someone who makes an honest mistake.

I'd bet most of the complaints are about negative reps, yes?

Exactly. Banning or removing something from a specific group, people, community or whatever it might be isn't really the solution. There are many ways to solve the issue, I could make so many analogies here from real life. But that would be a topic for other thread.

IMHO removing the rep system causes more than it solves the abuse issues.

... it's bad because I no longer can give a feedback on people's post.

I understand your reasoning, but you can still give feedback on a post simply by writing it on a following post on the same thread.

... having a way to see if someone has a good or bad reputation helps a lot.

True, but it helps only if the reputation is real and not the result of some abuse.

This community isnt really that large and after a while you start to remember who are the people that really contributes and help others

... and if I ever interact with someone who is "a dick" then I still have the option of puting him (or her, who knows) on the ignore list and never see his posts again :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• ED Team

1.1 and 1.2 rules are pretty important to this community, and were getting ducked around by using this rep system to do so. I liked this system myself, but again, it added a layer of headaches for all around.

I did talk to our web guy about options, and that when the forum is upgraded at some point, we could look at new mods or addons to the forum. I think something that only allowed postive feedback would work better, but when we get there we will see.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Thanks, it doesn't have to be now obviously. But as long as it comes back in the future, that's fine. Will it be missed? hell yeah, but I can get used to it :)

I love this community and I am not leaving it just because of that. Of course not.

About the forum upgrades, oh yeah it definitely needs a few, such as a mobile version for our smartphones (ED is aware of it I think).

This community is full of ideas, so don't hesitate to ask us. ;)

Today we have disabled the rep system. As time has gone along we have notice the system getting abused more and more. We have received a number of complaints and have decided to disable it. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns on this.

NineLine, to be able to give (constructive) feedback, we would need to know in what way the rep system has been abused and what the complaints were about.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

The reputation system was a nice low effort way to show support or displeasure at someone without making it obvious with a PM or public with a simple reply. It was also low effort on the receivers part because it was mostly a tacit reminder of what people think about you. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I once had a whole squadron negative rep me, when stuff like that happens you just gotta laugh it off at the absurdity of it.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Most of my rep points where awarded for helping people and writing guides. I am a bit miffed TBH that the rep system has been pulled. I was never aware of abuse of the rep system. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to the specific reasons behind the descision

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
NineLine, to be able to give (constructive) feedback, we would need to know in what way the rep system has been abused and what the complaints were about.

Its been used to use inappropriate language towards someone, and abuse comments of all levels. I dont want to list specifics, but they were bad enough to warrant action. With PMs, they can be reported, so for now if you want to thank someone in private, that is the way to go.

64Sig.png

Feel like this is a blow to the guys who actually spend time trying to write out well thought out and helpful posts, seeking to make a good impression with the community. Rep gave us something measurable in that regard.

Now, there's no consequence to being a general hooting *obscenity* as long as you follow the rules.

I've always thought the DCS community to be full of outstanding individuals, and I personally thought that rep was a good way to reward those individuals. After all, if you were a person who cared about rep, you probably made a conscious effort to make posts that would get you rep. You know, the kind of posts we want to see on these forums. Constructive, helpful, and well thought out.

Ugh, I have mixed feelings about this.

The rep system really helped giving the so needed appreciation to the people, who were some of the bright stars on this forum, helping others, making guides and so on.

But on the other hand I understand why disabling it would considered. A lot of people had gained rep slowly, trough the years, from random posts, not really living up to it.

I've had 4 or 5 neg reps(red), and 70ish percent of them were revenge rep, because I criticized someone and they were salty about it, downvoting a post of mine, witch had nothing to do with the topic and no arguments what so ever.

But at the end of the day, we don't really need the rep system I guess. We know who the good guys are, and I believe that they don't do it for the rep

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Its been used to use inappropriate language towards someone, and abuse comments of all levels. I dont want to list specifics, but they were bad enough to warrant action. With PMs, they can be reported, so for now if you want to thank someone in private, that is the way to go.

I see, but it does not quite make sense. Why could you not report inappropriate language in the rep system since you could always take a screen shot of the rep history? That tells exactly who said what.

Personally, I liked the system to thank you to people and keep their motivation up for the things things they do for the community.

Insulting people is a no go, of course. But again, this can be reported in the same or similar way as a PM with offensive language.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

They should be punished for their actions, not us. This affects the entire community I believe. As Cibit said, people here and I am included took years to build some rep in the community, I mean, some green boxes and a random number might be nothing to you, but I have received many good comments from people I like, it was a pleasure, it was an honor sometimes.

Just because a minority abuses and uses the system in a wrong way, it doesn't mean the entire community should be suffering from it too.

I believe most of us here are adults. A label explaining how you must use this feature wouldn't hurt, a rule enforcing that too.

I thought I was done about the topic, but sorry, I am disappointed. I agree with Cibit, I feel like everything I "made" was taken out of me because a small part of the community used it in a wrong way.

In Spanish has a prase with can understand that situation.

-"Pagar justos por pecadores" or equivalent "The innocent pay for the sins of the guilty"

Now we need pay for the actions of a minority with abuse with the reputation system with bad intentions. The bad part.... our reputation has actually zero.

Dear ED. I agree with alot of your decisions in the past but I cannot say the same about disabling the system in total because there are people that abuse it to insult others.

The punishment on those who commit the crime not on those who enjoy expressing their appreciation towards other community members by adding a bit more reputation.

Not the way to go in my opinion and I hope ED reconsider.

(ps) Nineline I really have to get used to that name :)

g8PjVMw.png