Best trainer for wife?

colyoap

The A-10C is the only choice and the closest thing we have to a high wing Cessna. It's S-L-O-W and less likely for her to get behind the aircraft. Post a picture and I may teach her for you and prevent your future divorce. :D

But seriously, girl power baby! Don't get mad when she proves to have superior motor skills and finesse than you do.

Patty Wagstaff is one of the greatest aerobatic pilots to ever jump in the cockpit.

TRIM - TRIM - TRIM! Not just a double entadre... ;)

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think that the A10 is the best choice here. Seriously, I know that the A10C has a lot of fans, but it practically flies itself. With that said it still an intimidating plane. His wife will probably learn how to taxi, take off and land the plane in an hour, however she won't have a clue as to what she is doing and why.

I think the L39C is the better choice here. Before you bring out the pitchforks and torches let me explain why I think that is.

It has a simple and well laid out cockpit. Instead of starting on the runway, you can go ahead and start from the ramp. Teach the person about the basic instruments that every plane has, without the distraction of a hundred switches, MFDs, combat capabilites, cluttered HUD, etc. Show her how to start-up the plane, and what each switch does in relation to the airframe and the avionics. It's simple enough to grasp without going into the manual.

It has an enjoyable flight model (IMO, probably the best FM ever made so far in DCS) and it's simple to fly, however it's relatively low engine power requires a basic knowledge of flying principles, and will quickly seperate the wheat from the chaff. That is to say, if the person in question has any aptitude and interest in flying (even virtual flying) he or she will quickly take to it. In the A10C, it's intimidating systems will quickly discourage anyone who doesn't have the patience to delve into them, once they get past the initial hurdle of getting the plane into the air and on the ground again. It might even permanently ground someone who actually has an interest in flying.

Im not saying you can't do it in an A10, Im just saying that it isn't the best module we have in DCS for this kind of thing.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

For a moment, I thought you were looking for a way to tell her that she was starting to pack on the weight.

In that brief moment, the bravery of the Apollo 11 crew seemed pale when compared to yours.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I don't think that the A10 is the best choice here. Seriously, I know that the A10C has a lot of fans, but it practically flies itself. With that said it still an intimidating plane. His wife will probably learn how to taxi, take off and land the plane in an hour, however she won't have a clue as to what she is doing and why.

I think the L39C is the better choice here. Before you bring out the pitchforks and torches let me explain why I think that is.

It has a simple and well laid out cockpit. Instead of starting on the runway, you can go ahead and start from the ramp. Teach the person about the basic instruments that every plane has, without the distraction of a hundred switches, MFDs, combat capabilites, cluttered HUD, etc. Show her how to start-up the plane, and what each switch does in relation to the airframe and the avionics. It's simple enough to grasp without going into the manual.

It has an enjoyable flight model (IMO, probably the best FM ever made so far in DCS) and it's simple to fly, however it's relatively low engine power requires a basic knowledge of flying principles, and will quickly seperate the wheat from the chaff. That is to say, if the person in question has any aptitude and interest in flying (even virtual flying) he or she will quickly take to it. In the A10C, it's intimidating systems will quickly discourage anyone who doesn't have the patience to delve into them, once they get past the initial hurdle of getting the plane into the air and on the ground again. It might even permanently ground someone who actually has an interest in flying.

Im not saying you can't do it in an A10, Im just saying that it isn't the best module we have in DCS for this kind of thing.

I agree 1000% on what you said.

Ask yourself: would you learn how to drive in a brand new 4x4 which trigger sounds when you are too close from the car in front of you, turns lights on when it's dark, has a back camera to help you park your car etc... or a simple small car ?

Between the A-10, and the L-39, it really this kind of deal. Wth the L-39 you can better feel that you are flying, not managing it.

+ with the L-39 you can do acrobatics, which is nice.

Kind regards,

Vince

PC:

i5-7300HQ@2,5GHz | nVidia GTX 1050 Ti | 8Gb RAM | 256GB SSD for Windows+DCS | Windows10

Modules:

Mirage2000C | AV-8B N/A | MiG-21Bis | F-5E | L-39 | Gazelle | FC3

Combined Arms | Supercarrier

NTTR | Persian Gulf

Ask yourself: would you learn how to drive in a brand new 4x4 which trigger sounds when you are too close from the car in front of you, turns lights on when it's dark, has a back camera to help you park your car etc... or a simple small car ?

Depends... If I plan to drive a big 4x4 with ADAS and gadgets, I would favour the 4x4 without need for conversion.

If I want to learn driving different cars, I tend to a more seat of the pants driving ( flying ) with less assistance... :dunno:

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Make sure she doesn't get a trainer that's too good looking.

ryan-kowalski-700_0.jpg

That pretty much only allows the pour old ugly A-10.....:cry: Great personality tho.

On a serious note. A-10 or the L-39

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

...Wth the L-39 you can better feel that you are flying, not managing it.

+1. It's kind of difficult to understand unless you get a trainer. I had the same approach as others - why to get a trainer if there is no penalty for crashing in a PC a game. After getting L-39 I really regret that I didn't got it before MiG-21 as it would be a great progression experience.

Use the fact that you have someone to fly with in the same cockpit. It'll be much more fun and at the same time easier to learn then flying separatelly. If the person starts from ground zero the trainer will allow to focus on basic procudres, aerodynamics and flying the thing, making sure to learn the good habits. Learning navigation, VFR, IFR, approach patterns, reading the plate and approch charts, ATC comms, how the aircraft reacts to different configurations, etc, etc... is actually more difficult in a plane full of different systems as there is just too much distractaction and you'll end up focusing on learning how to manage the systems and rather than flying.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

You guys are being dim. I don't know anybody who learned DCS on the L39 or Hawk or C101. What plane did you learn on? My guess is SU25T or A10C.

I get the feeling a lot of answers here are aimed to 'make it easier' for the woman to learn because the manly A10C is too much machine. Its not. The A10C is piss easy to fly.

• Like 1

You guys are being dim.

The problem with this reasoning is that right there at the begining of our (well mine) adventures in DCS there was nothing else to choose from!

You had the Ka50. And then you had the A10C. Nowadays you have a choice. If I imagine myself starting out today, I would definitely NOT pick the A10C as a starting plane. Especially as I was always more interested in the flying aspect in the beginning. I didn't even want to do combat that much.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

You guys are being dim. I don't know anybody who learned DCS on the L39 or Hawk or C101. What plane did you learn on? My guess is SU25T or A10C.

I get the feeling a lot of answers here are aimed to 'make it easier' for the woman to learn because the manly A10C is too much machine. Its not. The A10C is piss easy to fly.

Yep I agree, very nice to just fly the A10, remove all the weapons, turn off the MFD's to cancel the distractions and intimidation, then she becomes the perfect slow VFR trainer aircraft. She will have plenty to learn too once she learns the basics, perhaps stick with and go on and do the Training Qualification campaign or the other great campaigns available. You pretty much set her up for years of fun.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I get that and you may be correct in that a trainer is better for training (Who'd a thunk eh?).

However

1. The difference between the A10 with the MFDs switched off and the L39 (or F5) is pretty slight.

2. He probably has the A10C already. Most people do.

I'm just pointing this out.

In fact I did learn on the L-39? It was a great think to be familiarized with clickable cockpits with an easy one, not full of screens and buttons everywhere.

After mastering the L-39, was able to switch to the Mirage2000 or MiG-21 without any problem.

My gf is also currently learning how to pilot with the L-39, and she finds it very very funny, an simple. She can have fun with smoke pods, and take many screenshot, as the L-39 is a rather beautiful aircraft.

It has nothing to do about "the manly A-10C. It is just that the A-10 cockpit looks a lot more scary than the L-39 in my opinion; I mean that it makes you feel like "if you want to be a good pilot, you will have to master every single button of that cockpit".

One may have the same feeling about the L-39, the difference is that there are way less buttons and switches in the L-39.

And yes the A-10 is easy to fly, as is the L-39 !

Kind regards,

Vince

PC:

i5-7300HQ@2,5GHz | nVidia GTX 1050 Ti | 8Gb RAM | 256GB SSD for Windows+DCS | Windows10

Modules:

Mirage2000C | AV-8B N/A | MiG-21Bis | F-5E | L-39 | Gazelle | FC3

Combined Arms | Supercarrier

NTTR | Persian Gulf

I think a trainer is the best way to go as I have a tendency to be HUD focused. Flying the F-5E and the Hawk have helped a ton getting me to focus on other instruments instead. It was and still is a hard habit to break. This way she won't start with that bad habit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You guys are being dim.

No, we're not. The L-39ZA is a trainer, true, but it's a capable COIN aircraft as well. So you can train with it AND use it in anger too, y'know ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

_joking on_

Sounds like you are using a highly sophisticated Assault Rifle to club your enemies dead? :megalol:

_joking off_

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Yes. I'm putting the "stick" back into "stick & rudder man."

Clubsmanship is a dying art, you know.

:megalol:

Shagrat

Hey all im wondering if anyone has any input for which trainer I should get with the Easter discount. My wife has an interest in taking part in my obsession but she has virtually no flying experience other than what I've talked about during chores. Eventually she'll be on the hawg but I'd like to train her on flight fundamentals in a less complicated aircraft. I'm not necessarily looking for the "best" aircraft but rather the best to teach in that mimics the a-10's characteristics to a point. Thanks for any input!

FW-190 is a good one. 2nd choice would be Bf-109.

Both are finicky to learn and do well with.

Then go from there.

I started with the A-10C when it was a CD purchase locally, then transitioned to the Ka-50, BS1 I think.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i don't know which is best but if you buy a huey, she certainly divorce you :D

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Well I can vouch for the F-5. My 6 year old daughter had a go on the simulator for the first time yesterday and put on an air show .833fd8263b4421ed6678e981b515f903.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Err ... those don't seem like they mimic the A-10's characteristics very well.

: )

Used to be, real-life, guys trained on prop jobs first. Maybe that has changed.

Learn to operate an aircraft in simple terms, then advance in stages.

A-10C is a complicated aircraft for a beginner.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]