Aiming sights?

gdotts

Been watching all the Kiowa videos out to date and trying to catch a screen shot of the aiming used in Kiowa rockets or guns. What I have seen so far is pretty much the NAV display "black" with no TV or FLIR and no crosshair as your are shooting rockets or guns. How do you aim the weapons??

Thanks!

The site for the Hellfire is similar to the one posted above. There is a rocket and gun page that uses the MFD to shoot, but no one uses it. Either a grease pencil mark on the windscreen or your favorite bug splat and then adjust off of that. Ill see if I have any pictures.

For guns and rockets: Sharpie crosshair on the canopy glass.

For Hellfire: Mast Mounted Sight

Edit: It wasn't a sharpie, but a grease pencil as barundus explained below.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The weapons symbology in the MMS was designed predicated on a 50ft stationary hover. No other ballistics calculations are performed by the aircraft. So for running/diving fire profiles for the ballistic weapons (gun; rocket), the symbology is not good for targeting.

The gun/rocket symbology will provide some aiming information, provided the left-seater is observing the intended target with the MMS. However the ballistic solution will not be correct if the aircraft is moving and not level.

The KW was designed with the Fulda Gap scenario in mind; observe and shoot the oncoming Russian horde from behind a mask position.

The software was never designed to accommodate dynamic firing profiles.

The Hellfire/Stinger symbology are reliant on the MMS and NAV system to provide steering and range information for the missiles.

For guided weapons you just have to point in the right direction.

The workaround firing technique used to aim the gun/rockets was a ballistic reference mark (grease pencil mark) on the windscreen to provide a general reference where the rounds would fall.

Each pilot would have a different mark, and aiming was entirely reliant on the skill and training of the pilot.

Edited by barundus
refined information
  • Thanks 1

How much does a Kiowa cost..... and the United States Army uses for its rocket and gun aiming device a sharpie!! That's a third world country technology.

You can see it here on the pilot windscreen IRL:

And here in DCS:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

As promised in my earlier post...

Gun.jpg

Gunsight

Rocket.jpg

Rockets

In the Rocket and Gun you can overlay the MMS feed in the background and there are multiple ways besides the laser to choose your firing/azimuth constraints.

Hellfire.jpg

Hellfire

Hellfire would typically have the MMS image overlayed in the background. There are multiple ways to determine where your missiles will look/ fly to then look for properly coded laser energy to home in on.

As has already been stated these modes were intended for shooting from a hover while hiding in trees in Germany as the Soviets advanced. By the time of GWOT the idea of hovering fire was the equivalent of suicide' there are no trees to really hide in, staying still gets you killed and we didn't have the power in many of those places to execute hovering fire. I have seen and used hovering fire for a Hellfire engagement, but running Hellfire engagements were not uncommon and the -64 uses this as a technique as well. The only time I have ever seen or used hovering fire was in a training event because "we have to teach you this, but you won't use it." Running/ diving fire keeps you alive and helps your ballistics.

Edited by Coota0

Sharpie?! You mean grease pencil!

TC 3-04.44 4-97

c. Aerial ballistic reference mark (ABRM)/visual engagement:

(1) Priortoflight:ABRM-pilot/co-pilotmeasuresfromthebottomseamofthewindscreen(wherethe riveted metal strip meets the windscreen) and marks a point 24 inches up with a grease pencil. Then measure from the center seam of the windscreen outward 12 inches. This is the center point of the ABRM. Mark the point and make parallel 3/8ths inch wide by 3 inch long horizontal and vertical lines. It should look like the outline of a plus sign. To improve visibility during NVG operations fill the outlined ABRM with “red” grease pencil.

Chapter 4

(2) In flight: Place the ACP master arm switch in the arm position and the gun switch to the armed position. Fly the aircraft to align the ABRM or visually align the aircraft to the target and engage by depressing the weapons fire switch. When using the ABRM mark do not move your head to move the mark onto the target but attempt to use the mark as the center point which aligns the helicopter with the target. Note the impact point of the rounds in relation to the target. Make adjustments as required to effectively place rounds on target.

i7-6700k| 32GB ram| GTX 2080 founders edition| Oculus Rift 2

My WIP Youtube

How much does a Kiowa cost..... and the United States Army uses for its rocket and gun aiming device a sharpie!! That's a third world country technology.

It's a JetRanger helicopter with a big delicate camera mast on top, not exactly well armored. I think the primary attack profile is with hellfires from behind cover, if you're close enough to use a gun or rockets, you're probably too exposed. It makes sense to me why the rocket and gun aiming system would be an afterthought.

Sharpie?! You mean grease pencil!

TC 3-04.44 4-97

I already corrected myself days ago:

For guns and rockets: Sharpie crosshair on the canopy glass.

For Hellfire: Mast Mounted Sight

Edit: It wasn't a sharpie, but a grease pencil as barundus explained below.

Tornado3 small.jpg