I tried buddy lazing for the first time and I have some questions about the laser.

ZeroReady

Sometimes it just won't fire. Latch or no latch, it just doesn't fire sometimes. Sometimes even with latch on it only fires for a second then turns off. Everything is on and ready. If I can see the target in the tgp can the laser still be masked? That's the only thing I can think of.

What is the T symbol on the bottom of the display next the flashing L?

Can the laser get too hot if left on for too long?

What's the max range to laze?

Thanks!

If I can see the target in the tgp can the laser still be masked?

Yes. Not all sensors in the TGP sit in the exact same spot. The laser may be obstructed while the CCD is not.

I believe the TGP even takes into account what's loaded on all other stations (according to DSMS) and will prevent lasing through neighboring weapons and their racks/launchers. These masks may not be 100% accurate.

Also check the TGP indications. If anything changes to INR and you get an "M" indication, it means the TGP is masked and switches to inertial tracking and will also prevent the laser from firing.

What is the T symbol on the bottom of the display next the flashing L?

It means you should look it up in the manual. :thumbup:

(Truth be told, I just did that because I didn't know the answer; but this is the one question that's fairly well explained in the manual IMO, while most of the others are not, or are not as simple to look up.)

Can the laser get too hot if left on for too long?

Not that I know of.

What's the max range to laze?

That is a good question!

Never ran into any issues with this, because if I'm too far out for lasing, I can't see crap on the TGP anyway and if I want to buddy lase a football stadium from 20 miles away, he could just drop ballistic anyway. :smartass:

In other words: I don't actually know, but I can't recall a single instance where me or a buddy would have found the range to be a practical limitation.

Maximum laser range is roughly 8 nautical miles (slant range). This applies to all designating lasers in DCS. If the designator is too far away, the tip of the laser beam will be suspended in mid-air (it's a DCS-level issue, the simulation is incorrect).

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Let's be more exact. I fly quick mission and set TGP AG and area track and see this text:

Laser safe

AREA T 5.8

Laser arm

AREA L T 5.8

Laser train

AREA TL T 5.8

The middle text is "", "T", or "TL" based on laser. Options are "", "TL", "L", "P", "TB", "B". Letter T with no space before L or B indicates training wavelength. No such thing as "TP" because pointer is always eye safe.

The right side text "T" spaced several character is distance measuring is by T method.

Distance measuring methods by letter

Blank, slaved

"E", slew

"T", track

"L", laser

Presence of additional "M" flashing or not indicates approaching or inside masking zone.

Distance measuring methods by letter

Blank, slaved

"E", slew

"T", track

"L", laser

Yup, that's the one I think ZeroReady was talking about. The manual calls this "Range and source".

@ZeroReady if this didn't answer your question, now might be a good time for a screenshot with a very clear description which letter "T" exactly you refer to. :smartass:

Some of the switches on the A-10 are messed up. This module REALLY needs an overhaul. You may be in training, but the switch might show wrong.

Wait, what? Since when?

The mod you refer to flips the right/left click behavior for improved consistency across modules. Are you sure there's a switch in the A-10C cockpit that actually points in the wrong direction (e.g. it shows "ARM" when the system is in fact in "TRAIN" mode)? If so, which one?