DCS World 2.5.2 Freezes & Crash to BSOD

Top Jockey

Hello everyone,

I already know my PC specs are somewhat limited, but other forum members assure they can play version 2.5.2 with specs below mine and recomended me to post the issue here.

Updated from version 1.5.2. to 2.5.2. a couple days ago but with little success.

- I have all my graphic settings on LOW or OFF, and preload radius at 150000 (the maximum);

- the in game FPS : oscillate around 60;

- at NVidia control settings; VSync - ON; Energy management - allow maximum performance;

- I'm using old flat screen display of 1280 x 1024 at 60 Hz.

- after 2 minutes or so of flight in Caucasus with MiG-29A, with only my aircraft in the air (no other aircraft or ground units), it sudenly freezes;

- after some moments the PC crashes to BSOD;

Sometimes, there's a slight warning of a 3 seconds freeze, and the game proceeds, but in about 2 minutes or so it will freeze permanently.

The game also freezes at mission editor.

CTRL + ALT + DEL ;

ALT + Enter ;

Windows key ;

Esc key, etc

All that have no effect whatsoever when the game freezes.

After that the PC goes to BSOD.

Yesterday managed to fly for brief moments without allowing it to freeze, got out of the sim and checked HW Monitor for GPU and HDD temperatures and % of utilization:

- GPU -

Max. temp - 65 ºC

GPU utilization - 100 %

Frame Buffer - 31 %

Video engine - 0 %

Bus Interface - 11 % (not sure)

- HDD -

Max. temp - 43 ºC ; never had this high temperature before, even on other sims.

Which makes me believe that even the HDD was being pushed to his limits...

- CPU -

Curiously, the CPU i7 4790 K, was being less used than in other "lighter" sims, go figure :

I already know I must get a more powerfull GPU and an SSD also.

Still, is thre anything I can do to avoid the freezes and crashes with my current PC ?

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I would try to drop the preload radius by at least a third . That's about where mine is . You could probably raise some settings after doing that . Assume you do not have pagefile disabled ?

Re mission editor , i'm reading it's generally bugged right now . 2.5 certainly does need more resources than 1.5 , but it runs well enough on my modest rig-at least in sp .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I would try to drop the preload radius by at least a third . That's about where mine is . You could probably raise some settings after doing that . Assume you do not have pagefile disabled ?

Re mission editor , i'm reading it's generally bugged right now . 2.5 certainly does need more resources than 1.5 , but it runs well enough on my modest rig-at least in sp .

Thank you for your attention Svsmokey.

If you mean windows pagefile, I believe it is enabled.

Well I believe the problem was the fact that I really was noob...

The process was: version 1.5.2, then installed version 2.5.2, got freezes and crashes, and yesterday reverted to version 1.5.8.

To my surprise even version 1.5.8 kept having the freezes and crashes... so I decided to create a new mission instead of playing the old ones, and with that there was no more freezes and crashes.

So I believe maybe it were the old saved missions that migrated from version 1.5.2 to 2.5.2, that were causing all the problems.

Unfortunatelly, didn't remember to try creating a new mission before reverting from version 2.5.2 to 1.5.8...

If problem persists however, I'll report here.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

• 6 months later...

Hi Top Jockey, did the problem persist for you? I’m getting the same problem albeit I’ve only ever been on DCS 2.5. I’m also using a rift and I:getting the BSOD with a suggestion that the nvlddmkm.sys might be associated with the failure.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Hi Top Jockey, did the problem persist for you? I’m getting the same problem albeit I’ve only ever been on DCS 2.5. I’m also using a rift and I:getting the BSOD with a suggestion that the nvlddmkm.sys might be associated with the failure.

Hello,

No, as I've stated in bold at post #3, the cause of that problem really appeared to be:

- I copied old saved missions from DCS World 1.5, and was trying to play them in DCS World 2.5.

(Because all the times it crashed, I was playing those precise same missions.)

After that, completely deleted DCS World 2.5 (or whichever version), defragged disk and installed a clean version 2.5.

Even with 8 GB RAM and old GPU, it ran without crashes.

Stutters yes frequently, but crashes no.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system