Real life radio call signs used by the super carriers ?

Badger633

What are the real life super carrier radio call signs for each of the carriers provided in DCS currently

Thanks

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Despite that we don't have SC versions of Stennis and Truman yet, I went ahead and included them. Anyone please correct me if these are wrong. I also added the flag codes after the callsign (all U.S. Navy ships begin with 'N' which I have omitted), personally I use these for the TACAN codes.

CVN-71 "Rough Rider" NTR

CVN-72 "Union" ABE

CVN-73 "Warfighter" NGW

CVN-74 "Courage" JCS

CVN-75 "Lone Warrior" HST

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Are these the actual callsigns used over the radios though?

My understanding is that radio call signs were (and are), technically assigned to radio stations on the net, not individual platforms or people (the pilot/aviator "callsigns" are something different, more like a nickname).

So a carrier and a carrier group would have multiple different callsigns depending on whom you are talking to --- traffic control, fighter/operation control, etc.. Is that correct? Of course, if you only talk to one station on the carrier (e.g. the traffic control), then there is only one callsign for the carrier. E.g., I recall that off Yankee Station "RED CROWN" was the callsign of the fighter control, but it was based on a different ship. You talked to traffic control at and after take-off, then you switched to Red Crown.

https://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/cvn71/Pages/TRADITIONS.aspx

RADIO CALL SIGN

When TR was commissioned, Captain P.W. Parcells requested that the TR be given "Big Stick" as her radio call sign; however, that call sign belonged to the White House and was not available. He then requested "Rough Riders" instead of "Old Soldier" which had been arbitrarily assigned by the Navy bureaucracy. He was told "Rough Rider" had already been assigned to USS LOS ANGELES (SSN 688). With that in mind, Captain Parcells armed himself with compelling logic and convinced the LOS ANGELES' Commanding Officer to swap call signs.

So it is that USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT is known throughout the fleet as "Rough Rider."

I'll see if I can find more

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Are these the actual callsigns used over the radios though?

It can be heard occasionally over the Marshal frequency. In the video below you can hear the pilots and marshal controller use the carrier's callsign (1:45 as an example, callsign for CVN-76 is "Freedom").

I would imagine if you ever had multiple carriers performing launch or recovery operations in the same area, using the callsigns helps deconflict.

• Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I use these for the TACAN codes.

CVN-71 "Rough Rider" NTR

CVN-72 "Union" ABE

CVN-73 "Warfighter" NGW

CVN-74 "Courage" JCS

CVN-75 "Lone Warrior" HST

Per ACP 113(AI)

CVN-71 "Rough Rider" - TR

CVN-72 "Union" - TB

CVN-73 "Warfighter" - GW

CVN-74 "Courage" - JS

CVN-75 "Lone Warrior" - KU

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you all for your input. Just what i needed. Writing a campaign using the Abraham thought I’d try and get the call sign correct.

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.