INS Drift in-flight fix?

BonerCat

Pretty much what the title says.

Is it possible to fix the INS drift mid flight? I know you can change your coordinates in flight, cause i've already accidentaly done that, and did more harm than help.

If it is possible, is it implemented, or planning to be implemented in DCS (and if so, any clue when we might get it?)?

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

It is very much possible and already implemented. There are different methods to do it:

- Radar fix (pretty difficult due to the nature of the Tomcats radar, unless you use a small island in the middle of the ocean ;))

- Visual fix (works like a charm if you have a good visual reference)

- TACAN fix (works like a charm if your MagVar is accurate)

- TARPS fix (not implemented yet)

I recommend you read up on it in the game manual: http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#navigation-fix-update

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

One additional way that my RIO and I have taken to, and I'm not sure if its advisable nor in the book is using the LANTIRN's self contained GPS to update your position.

That's not very precise though (unless your RIO types them in very fast).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes and no, because the CAP has you enter Lat / Lng separately with commit steps in between you immediately only have to get one in at a time before its too far off, and even at a reasonable cruising speed only the last 2-3 digits are going to change with any kind of speed.

Agreed its not super accurate - but it is simple and compared to most of our other options on the table it cuts a nice balance of accuracy vs complexity to do, particularly at night when visual is less an option.

Agreed its not super accurate - but it is simple and compared to most of our other options on the table it cuts a nice balance of accuracy vs complexity to do, particularly at night when visual is less an option.

Try a TACAN fix, it's super easy and doesn't depend on visibility ;)

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thank you very much for your help! It's much appriciated!

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430