Thrustmaster Warthog combined joystick problem

Gents,

out of nowhere I ran into the following problem...

When using TM Warthog joystick and throttle without running a TARGET-profile, I used to have a separate joystick and a separate throttle in DCS.

When using TM Warthog joystick and throttle running a TARGET-profile, I used to have a combined controller in DCS.

But now, when I run my TARGET-profile, I have my combined controller plus a separate joystick and a separate throttle in DCS.

So most of the axes and buttons are occupied twice. E.g. pressing the autopilot button resolves in a key-command by the combined controller and a DX-command by the separate throttle.

I could delete all buttons and axes of the separate controllers in DCS, but that is not how it meant to be.

Any ideas?

I already reinstalled TARGET-software. Firmware is up to date...

Cheers,

Monty

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

OK, life is so simple.

Plugging the controllers out and in again, resolved the problem... Have done that before, so don´t ask what happened :doh:

EDIT: Problem is coming back, I have to unplug and replug the controllers... Any ideas why?

Edited by MadMonty

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

Thrustmaster makes great hardware and TARGET is great, but the FAST service that Thrustmaster uses as the device middleware (for TARGET) is unstable garbage. Many times, I find that simply rebooting the computer clears all of the crud that destabilizes FAST after a while (especially when starting and stopping TARGET profiles).

I'm not sure if the FAST service is responsible for the issues you're having, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Edited by Home Fries

I was able to isolate the problem to the rudders - by deleting the profile. I may have solved it by increasing the dead zone by a little more and that seemed to solve the issue. I still need to do a more thorough test.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Do you have win10? If so, your os is most likely doing you the delightful favor of powering down usb devices it thinks you are not using via the USB Power Management system. There's a way to disable this 'feature', solution 2 here:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-issue-after-upgrade-system-to-windows-10-usb-ports-dont-work/

Thanks for your help, but that made no difference to my problem. I am just wondering, since it came out of nowhere... It even makes no difference after a reboot and a first profile loading via Target...

Gents,

But now, when I run my TARGET-profile, I have my combined controller plus a separate joystick and a separate throttle in DCS.

Do you have any "mode" commands in your profile?

Like this?

// Configure(&Joystick,MODE_FILTERED); // Filtered, can disable original in int EventHandle()

Does the issue happen with a plain, simple .tmc file running in the script editor?

• 8 months later...

Has anyone determined a solution for this? I am getting same symptoms. In Windows 10 "Game Controllers" I see both the "Thrustmaster Combined" controller and each individual controller ("F16 MFD 1" "F16 MFD 2" "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog"). This is after running a profile in the script editor. Prior to running the script I see only the discrete controllers. Of course in DCS, then, I see the same situation.

Been seeing the same thing recently. Figuring it must be a windows update that caused it to start happening.

Also noticed a significant delay executing the script now as compared to before.

Edited by txmtb

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Been seeing the same thing recently. Figuring it must be a windows update that caused it to start happening.

Also noticed a significant delay executing the script now as compared to before.

I have the same problem.

Current specs: Windows 10 64bit, i7-7700K @ 4.8 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, 1 To SSD, RTX2070-Super, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog, TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

• 3 months later...
I have the same problem.

I'm suddenly having the exact same problem. Just suddenly started today. :no_sad:

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

When you load a profile check the joystick controller tab at the bottom right to see the joysticks windows sees, if it shows Thrustmaster Combined and separate sticks then stop the profile and restart it (you might have to do it a couple of times)

Thanks for the tip, Crash. I’ll give that a go tonight and report back.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

I'm having the same problem, only I use the T16000M HOTAS intead of the Warthog. It happens all the time if I have Teamspeak on while I load a profile. Without Teamspeak it also happens, but not 100% of the time. Sometimes I can get rid of it by closing all programs, disconnecting and connecting the HOTAS, then opening TARGET again and loading the profile again. Sometimes I can't. I have no idea what's going on, I didn't have this issue before.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread. I have the same issue.

Every now & then, when I start my profile, I have the Thrustmaster combined input, and the stick & throttle still there too.

This is creating issues inside DCS.

Is there any solution that has been found ? I've been looking all over, but nothing was really conclusive.

I updated TARGET, made sure that windows cannot put the USB devices to sleep.

Help is appreciated :)

i7 7700k • 1080Ti • 32GB @ 3200 MHz • 525GB M.2 • Oculus Rift

Warthog + Pro Flight

I had the same problem since the Win10 Creators update got installed and then Thrustmasters DeviceManagementApp.exe had a problem with some Windows program.

The thing is I can’t quite remember but I now found this far back in my Windows System Log.

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_...\WinStore.App.exe with process id 12220 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_044F&PID_0404\00000040.

I think this is what it was, and since I removed the WinStoreApp I hand no more problems.

Check in your Windows log first…

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, Channel, Sinai

Tech: WWII Assets Pack, Supercarrier

I kind of solved the issue by preventing all the Thrustmaster USB controllers to go to sleep.

Since that the issue seems gone

i7 7700k • 1080Ti • 32GB @ 3200 MHz • 525GB M.2 • Oculus Rift

Warthog + Pro Flight

I had a similar issue, I found a solution on the BMS forums. I'll paste it here since you have to register to view their boards.

Issue:

The Teamspeak Joystick and Gamepad Addon prevents Thrustmaster's target software from working properly. The teamspeak addon prevents target from hiding the physical devices from windows, thus preventing target to function properly, even after Teamspeak is closed.

Solutions:

1, By removing the Gamepad / Joystick addon from teamspeak target works properly. 2, Hard reboot the system start target and run your profile before opening teamspeak. Both solutions have been tested effective on the latest version of target across multiple systems.

Background

Thurstmaster Target Principles of Operation: Target functions by creating a virtual control and hiding the physical devices (joysticks) from the system. This allows the user to program the joystick to any number of virtual functions, keyboard commands, axis modification, ect.

Since the Teamspeak Joystick and Game Pad addon prevents windows from hiding the physical devices, a profile will not work properly. You end up with phantom joystick buttons, ect. It fundamentally breaks target. The problem continues even when Teamspeak is closed. I don't think the joystick addon ever fully shuts itself down when target is closed. Disabling the addon doesn't seem to help either.

The problems began to appear a few patches ago when the addon was bundled with the basic install. It got worse with the latest release.

How to delete the Teamspeak Joystick Addon

Open Teamspeak, select tools->Options->addons (it's on the left sidebar), Select the Joystick and Game Pad addon and delete it. Restart teamspeak and run your profile.

If you need target and joystick push to talk, I would recommend Discord, it functions flawlessly with target.

^^ That explains why I had so much problems with TARGET when I was using Teamspeak. It started when I started using the push-to-talk button in Teamspeak and never ended anymore. Nowadays I just don't use Teamspeak.

I guess TARGET doesn't really do a good job at hidding the controllers in Windows, does it?

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

• 2 years later...
I have the same problem.

Same here. I only started to use my T16000 HOTAS combo yesterday and so far it's been a nightmare, to the point where the Stick is not even appearing in the event tester and device analyzer.

Windows starts related services just fine, it's just that it is Thrustmaster FAST service is not detected by the package, I don't use Teamspeak yet.

I have written a ticket to Thrustmaster support with a little detail: I had Error Code 0x000000E7 saying that Thrustmaster FAST service didn't start, when in fact it had and was running properly, I can't expect a reply before 15 days max du to the pandemic I'll keep you posted...

If there is an alternative way to set up this OTAS I'll use it.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Yeah, thanks!

I figured it out and have tested it in Strike fighter, it works just fine!

I didn't install Joystick Gremlin and I'm not sure it is needed, also, I used Strike Fighters 2 as Benchmark simply because I didn't finish to upgrade my PC, I received my new graphic card but there is no cable for it and I'm waiting for one to be delivered.

Once everything is running perfectly I'll be able to start DCS without crashing out, which is caused by my actual graphic card.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

This thread may help those with the combined controllers and or the long delay.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=232737

In short Microsoft Windows Store is a culprit most of the time. There are a few ways to handle the store, depending on what you want to accomplish e.g. uninstall, kill it until restart, etc.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP