Upsizing of DCS World Installation to Larger Capacity SSD so Have Larger Capacity SSD

INFORMATION: Currently DCS World is installed on dedicated Samsung 256GB SSD; which is not my C drive.

As DCS plan to release in future more aircraft modules and maps this drive will eventually not be big enough in capacity.

I plan to purchase a Samsung 512GB SSD and then copy my current DCS World installation onto this larger capacity SSD.

QUESTION: Can you tell me is this possible to do; and will DCS World still run without issue on the replacement higher capacity SSD?? I will use the same Computer drive letter so that my current Desktop shortcuts to either update or launch DCS World still work...Is this correct Need help about How to do this correctly. Thanks...Gary

Edited by gary palmer

• ED Team

Hi

Thanks for the email,

Once you have your new drive you can simply cut and paste your DCS install to the new drive.

You will have to update any shortcuts to point to the new location however.

Hope that helps

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
Thanks Bignewy...

As I will be using the same drive letter with the new bigger capacity SSD would that mean that I would have No need to update the shortcuts to the new directory location. It is the shortcuts thing that is confusing me. Thanks Gary

If the drive has the same path you wont need to update the shortcuts.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi Garry,

no problem with the email, all OK

Step by step:

1. Reassign a new and available drive letter for your current DCS drive.

2. Shut down PC and put new drive in.

3. Start PC and wait for the popup to show up to initialize a new drive.

4. Follow that guide, use NTFS as FileSystem and assign the original drive letter of your DCS

drive to the new drive.

5. Done :)

If you run into problems, msg me here or via email

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanking you Bitmaster for your reply.

As I will be using the same drive letter for the new bigger capacity SSD, would than mean that I would have No need to update the shortcuts to the new directory location?? The shortcuts I use to launch, update or repair DCS World. To the best of my knowledge as the new drive will have the same drive letter as the old SSD (which I will remove from PC) there should be no need to update the directory target paths of the current shortcuts. This is the part of the change I am a little unsure about.

Thanks for your help...Gary

Bitmaster replied via personal email with following information:

Hey Gary,

Nothing needs to be edited if you keep the same drive letter.

All your shortcuts will continue to work.

You can keep that drive in the system unless you have other plans.

It could be used as a dedicated swap file drive with 32GB fixed size and the rest of the drive could be used to store your files or programs. There is no technical need to

take it out. All motherboards have at least 4 ports at least, maybe more. All you would need is a Sata cable and a free 12v power connector.

Write me if you need further instructions

Lars

“Bitmaster”

... All motherboards have at least 4 ports at least, maybe more. All you would need is a Sata cable and a free 12v power connector.

Be sure that the drives are in sata format, as many modern ssd drives are actually in M2 format.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I assume Gary refers to a 2.5” SSD. If it’s a M2 drive it depends on how many M2 slots the board has but the rest remains valid and the same.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The replacement larger capacity SSD I will be purchasing shortly will be a Samsung SSD 860 PRO 2.5"- SATA III 512GB - MZ-76P512BW. The Samsung SSDs are great - durable and fast.

Thanks all for your help. I like being thorough and doing my homework on things before making a change. As the greek philosopher Socrates said: 'Knowledge is power'. Cheers Gary

A very good choice, I run 850 Pro's in all our computers but my 970 Evo NVMe.

Install the latest Samsung Magician Software and check for Firmware upgrade once installed and running.

My personal choice is not to use any of the Samsung profiles if that is of any importance for you.

Let me know how it went :smilewink:

Well, my 2 cents here:

I have a sandisk 480GB ultra, endurance is ok, cache slc is too limited.

I have an old transcend which worked well but too small now (240GB)

I have a samsung 840evo 240GB. Had Written very little amount of data those past 3 years (test system only) and showing already 95% remaining life... it’s well known now that this serie is flawed and has the worst tlc controller ever produced.

My main drive is a 970pro 1tb. Works at standard speed with windows drivers, works at 1/4 of speed (in synthetics tests) with samsung drivers.( 700MB/s). 7PB are already written on chip life, and every dcs update rise its temps at 90deg celsius which is very hot.

But saying samsung is the best, I have some doubts.

Now for DCS, even if, right now as a translator, I have access to the majority of modules, and not counting futures modules/ maps not yet implemented (and there are many) my dcs install folder is about 200GB. Next map will increase it by 25GB, then 2 more maps will come, then more modules, etc. Plus the open beta install, plus the release install... mhhh

My guess is, if your just using a ssd for dcs, go for a tlc ssd cuz you’ll mainly read data, and take 1TB.

Cheers

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Afaik 860 Pro, as well as 850 Pro, are TLC drives. The Pros iirc have more cache and more reserve cells to counter the wear. Also the 850 Pro comes with a 10y warranty, havent checked the 860 Pro's warranty tbh as I dont own one or havent sold one recently, most opt for a 970 Evo or Evo Plus these days.

The Samsung 850Pro comes with a 10year warranty and the Samsung 860Pro comes with a 5 year warranty. The change in warranty period is a business decision by Samsung, and does not reflect that the 860Pro is less durable/reliable. For reliability/durability they are equals. Gary