980ti > 1080ti ... questions

Anybody here who upgraded from 980ti to 1080ti? I have a serious itch to upgrade but I do wonder if GPU upgrade is enough. My CPU is i7 4790K and I'm gaming in 3440x1440 resolution.

All reviews I saw about 1080ti put it well ahead of 980ti. The question I have is: does this apply to DCS too? Will I see similar increase in fps as in other games? I would like to see steady 60 fps at 3440x1440 with 2 AA and high/ultra presets. This is not achievable with 980ti in all situations. I see drops at certain places and situations.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

I went from a 980ti to a 1080ti - Nice boost if the cost doesn't bother you. I play in VR so my direct observations are probably not that relevant, but I am sure you will have an increase in performance in DCS. The extra Vram will help as well with textures etc.

DCS does have a little issue with utilising hardware fully at the moment it seems, I haven't seen full utilisation of my GPU, or any of my HW while playing DCS actually, even thou I am dropping to 45fps over Nevada in places. I think there are some improvements expected in that area with 2.5.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I went from a 980ti to a 1080ti - Nice boost if the cost doesn't bother you. I play in VR so my direct observations are probably not that relevant, but I am sure you will have an increase in performance in DCS. The extra Vram will help as well with textures etc.

DCS does have a little issue with utilising hardware fully at the moment it seems, I haven't seen full utilisation of my GPU, or any of my HW while playing DCS actually, even thou I am dropping to 45fps over Nevada in places. I think there are some improvements expected in that area with 2.5.

Thank you for the answer! Do you know how much fps you got approximately, even in VR?

I should get about 50% increase in other games, but I would like to know about DCS mainly as that is what is worrying me the most. :)

Even if you could afford the cost of the 1080ti, I would wait that the new Nvidia Volta GPU are out: the new AMD RX Vega is nearly out and on Q4 2017 nvidia will release the new GPU generation.

Hopefully, with the battle AMD vs Nvidia, we'll get a price reduction policy (as happened with the launch price of the Intel's i9-7900X after the good selling results of the AMD's Ryzen).

Just my 2 cents :smilewink:

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

Thank you for the answer! Do you know how much fps you got approximately, even in VR?

I should get about 50% increase in other games, but I would like to know about DCS mainly as that is what is worrying me the most. :)

Sorry I can't give any specific improvements in DCS in VR as I run it with pretty low settings to try and maintain 90FPS, and I didn't really make note of the 'specific' improvement. but I know there was one, the upgrade did make a noticeable difference to the ability to run PD 1.5 and AA etc. It is a bit of a beast and worth the upgrade, but as Automan mentioned if you can wait for Volta then that could be a plan. Personally I will enjoy the 1080ti now then flog it off on TradeMe at a minor loss and grab a Volta when it comes out :thumbup:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even if you could afford the cost of the 1080ti, I would wait that the new Nvidia Volta GPU are out: the new AMD RX Vega is nearly out and on Q4 2017 nvidia will release the new GPU generation.

Hopefully, with the battle AMD vs Nvidia, we'll get a price reduction policy (as happened with the launch price of the Intel's i9-7900X after the good selling results of the AMD's Ryzen).

Just my 2 cents :smilewink:

Yes, I will definitely wait for Vega reviews. It may reduce the prices or even make me buy one.

Waiting for Volta, well that is tempting, but the problem is that the type of card I would be interested in will not be released even remotely soon. If I would buy Volta card it would be again Ti equivalent and that will take at least year from the mainstream Volta release.

Don't get me wrong, 980Ti I have now is very much capable of running DCS without problems. I do have some fps drops here and there but nothing really serious that would hamper my game play. Its just the "itch"to buy something new ... :)

I have a 980GTX for 1440p and see no reason to upgrade. With 4k there is a reason but below that a 980GTX-Ti is plenty.

Once the maps are merged and 2.5 is stable and performance optimized things might look different...but that is like 6-12 months from now. By then a 2080GTX-Ti and new AMD card will be on the horizon already.

You also need to look at the chain of dependencies. A moderate CPU will not unleash the full power of a 1080Ti GPU. You need to seriously pass the 4GHz marker to make that happen or be

satisfied to max out the 1-core and underutilize the GPU.

- If your GPU is usually at 99% and you want still more fps, go 1080Ti

- If your GPU is usually not at 99% your CPU lacks behind and is causing the fps cap.

my way of understanding dependencies in DCS ( and general gaming ).

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

From what I saw, the 2.1 version is able to utilize GPU more than the 1.5 version, but the 2.1 is also more demanding.

Seems like the best will be to wait it out as the only reason I would want to upgrade is DCS which is constantly changing, at least until we will see 2.5. Then I will be able to do some decent tests and see what I need for my needs.