would it be possible to take over development of the Hawk?

upyr1

No. The Hawk source code is the intellectual property of VEAO. A different developer would have to start from scratch.

To the best of my knowledge: after the Hawk disaster ED modified the 3rd party contracts to include a transfer of the source code to ED if the 3rd party goes tits up, but don't quote me on that.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, VEAO refused to give up the code to ED. If the rumours are true, thats maybe a good thing. VEAO's code was supposedly a complete and utter mess.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
(...) but i think VEAO can negociate a compromise with RAZBAM (...)

VEAO can't do anything, since the company no longer exists. If you want a trainer, pick up the L39 or C-101 next time there is a sale. Forget the Hawk. It's dead, and it's not coming back.

In all honesty, the C101 isn't as nice as the Hawk was. It's textures are about the same, it's flight model isn't as good, and all around, it had more problems than the Hawk did (at the time). I can't understand why the Hawk got such a bad rap and the C101 seems to be praised. The Hawk was a better module.

What? The Hawk was an awful module in every regard compared to the others. Yes, the C-101 was very basic in its early days. Not broken, but basic. The Hawk broke every other patch with bugs that literally made it unflyable (the stuck on the ground bug immediately comes to mind) The reason why people praise the C-101 nowadays is because Aviodev actually made a decent module out of it, even though they took their time. The Hawk was an absolute turd, and you can't polish a turd.

• Like 2

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

What? The Hawk was an awful module in every regard compared to the others. Yes, the C-101 was very basic in its early days. Not broken, but basic. The Hawk broke every other patch with bugs that literally made it unflyable (the stuck on the ground bug immediately comes to mind) The reason why people praise the C-101 nowadays is because Aviodev actually made a decent module out of it, even though they took their time. The Hawk was an absolute turd, and you can't polish a turd.

Agreed. The C-101 is top-notch in every aspect nowadays. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

It's just a shame they can't turn out over to a freeware developer who might be able to do something with it.

Sorry that is not going to happen.

I have deleted most of the source material on so much that it no longer exists and what does is being used on other projects and is no longer in any way compatible with DCS.

Everyone from VEAO has moved onto other projects now I am afraid.

Pman

Well those who bought through the DCS e-shop had the refund, I bought it on steam, then I linked the serial on my DCS e-shop account and even so I didn't have a refund ..... Deadbeat VEAO + Steam .... never again I bought nothing from DCS on steam only at the E-shop

System:

Asus TUF Z390-Pro Gaming/ Intel i5-9600k@ Coffeelake 9a Gen/ Water Cooler Corsair Hydro H45/ Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32Gb 3200Mhz/ EVGA GeForce RX 2070 Super 8Gb Gddr6 256Bits/ 1 SSd M2 3gen 1Tb Xpg/ Headset Corsair + SoundCloud BlasterX Pro Gaming AE-5 / Corsair HX1000i W Plus Platinum/ Case Corsair Gamer Series Obsidiam 500D/ LG 32" 4k Monitor Dp/ Track Ir5 w/Clip Pro/ Saitek Hino X56

VEAO refused to turn over IP. So development and support ended at that point.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Well those who bought through the DCS e-shop had the refund, I bought it on steam, then I linked the serial on my DCS e-shop account and even so I didn't have a refund ..... Deadbeat VEAO + Steam .... never again I bought nothing from DCS on steam only at the E-shop

Actually only those who bought after a certain date. The rest of us just got screwed and it won't even work on 2.5.3 now like ED said it would .

• Like 1
In all honesty, the C101 isn't as nice as the Hawk was. It's textures are about the same, it's flight model isn't as good, and all around, it had more problems than the Hawk did (at the time). I can't understand why the Hawk got such a bad rap and the C101 seems to be praised. The Hawk was a better module.

You could fly Hawk only in two phases.

1) In Early Access phase before they broke it.

2) Just the last final version that they left it.

Between those two it was broken by textures or something else. And even the final version was that you could achieve Mach 6 speeds etc with it.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

//Thread Closed.

Reason, Drifting Off Topic and It OO Qiestion was answered.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 years later...
On 3/5/2020 at 12:40 PM, MrDieing said:

The Hawk was an absolute turd, and you can't polish a turd.

Sure you can. The MythBusters did it.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2020 at 6:12 PM, Pman said:

Sorry that is not going to happen.

I have deleted most of the source material on so much that it no longer exists and what does is being used on other projects and is no longer in any way compatible with DCS.

Everyone from VEAO has moved onto other projects now I am afraid.

Pman

Hi,

Would you be willing to support the freeware AuthentiKit project with some CAD from the Hawk? It doesn't have to be particuarly advanced, just STL type exports. We'd like to create some replica flight controls and it would help a lot to have some 3d of the throttle/stick etc as a reference. You may have seen our work for the Spitfire MkIX which is now used by the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight in a MkIX simulator they have at Coningsby. There's a blog entry on Authentikit.org about it. The Hawk controls would be done on the same basis - free to download for the community to 3d print at home.

If you aren't able to do this (you mentioned deleting source materials) would you be willing to allow us to use something like RenderDoc to grab some STLs?

Thanks for considering this.

Phil Hulme

AuthentiKit Founder