Seeking advice on modules (A-10C, AV-8B, Su-27), sales & using miles

With the sale going on, I thought I might grab some modules that interest me. My main goal with DCS is learning to operate the Hornet, so if I buy any of these, they'll be on the back burner for a while.

I have 14K miles in the E-shop, but I'm not sure if I can use them during a sale. Not a problem if I can't, since 50% off is pretty sweet. Do sales happen often, especially 1/2 off? If this is a rare, one-off sale, I'd try to grab all three, but if they happen a few times a year, I'll put off purchasing one of them.

Starting with the A-10C: I do have the A-10A, and I've enjoyed the little bit that I've played it, but I'm wondering if the C model offers such a different experience that it's worth purchasing. I'm really more into fighters, so I'm not sure just how much I'd play it. This is obviously the module I'm considering putting off until another sale, as it'll give me time to discover if I really enjoy the A-10A. If the sales are rare and it's miles ahead of the A-10A, I'll try to grab it, though.

The AV-8B sounds like a lot of fun, and it's certainly an interesting aircraft. I'm really leaning towards buying this one. Is this a finished module, or is it a work-in-progress, similar to the F-16C? That's in no way a deal breaker, though, as it's such a unique plane and I'm willing to deal with ongoing development.

As for the Su-27... I have the Su-33, so does the Su-27 offer any meaningful differences that I should consider buying it, as well? It is very cheap, but if it's basically the same aircraft, I can pass on it.

Any thoughts on these questions would be appreciated.

The A-10A and A-10C are completely different experiences, not only because the A-10A is FC3 level (versus a full DCS level A-10C), but the employment is different. The targeting pod and integrated avionics make it a precision targeting aircaft best employed at high altitudes (versus the necessity of flying low with the A-10A). If you like the A model, the C is a no-brainer (though you can still use it like an A model).

The AV-8B is a very mature module, and I have no qualms recommending this. The avionics are closer to the A-10C, though the HOTAS is more streamlined (just not as many options) and the targeting pod is not fully integrated into the HOTAS (as in the Real AV-8B N/A due to budget limitations). I actually prefer the Harrier to the A-10C due to the streamlined HOTAS.

Finally, the Su-27 is a lot of fun to fly, but there are IMO no earth-shattering differences between the two if you already have the -33. I have them both as a FC3 owner.

With the sale going on, I thought I might grab some modules that interest me. My main goal with DCS is learning to operate the Hornet, so if I buy any of these, they'll be on the back burner for a while.

I have 14K miles in the E-shop, but I'm not sure if I can use them during a sale. Not a problem if I can't, since 50% off is pretty sweet. Do sales happen often, especially 1/2 off? If this is a rare, one-off sale, I'd try to grab all three, but if they happen a few times a year, I'll put off purchasing one of them.

Starting with the A-10C: I do have the A-10A, and I've enjoyed the little bit that I've played it, but I'm wondering if the C model offers such a different experience that it's worth purchasing. I'm really more into fighters, so I'm not sure just how much I'd play it. This is obviously the module I'm considering putting off until another sale, as it'll give me time to discover if I really enjoy the A-10A. If the sales are rare and it's miles ahead of the A-10A, I'll try to grab it, though.

The AV-8B sounds like a lot of fun, and it's certainly an interesting aircraft. I'm really leaning towards buying this one. Is this a finished module, or is it a work-in-progress, similar to the F-16C? That's in no way a deal breaker, though, as it's such a unique plane and I'm willing to deal with ongoing development.

As for the Su-27... I have the Su-33, so does the Su-27 offer any meaningful differences that I should consider buying it, as well? It is very cheap, but if it's basically the same aircraft, I can pass on it.

Any thoughts on these questions would be appreciated.

Su-27: What about just buying Flamming Cliffs 3? You will get whole package of those birds. Much cheaper than buying single modules one by one.

The A-10A and A-10C are completely different experiences, not only because the A-10A is FC3 level (versus a full DCS level A-10C), but the employment is different. The targeting pod and integrated avionics make it a precision targeting aircaft best employed at high altitudes (versus the necessity of flying low with the A-10A). If you like the A model, the C is a no-brainer (though you can still use it like an A model).

The AV-8B is a very mature module, and I have no qualms recommending this. The avionics are closer to the A-10C, though the HOTAS is more streamlined (just not as many options) and the targeting pod is not fully integrated into the HOTAS (as in the Real AV-8B N/A due to budget limitations). I actually prefer the Harrier to the A-10C due to the streamlined HOTAS.

Finally, the Su-27 is a lot of fun to fly, but there are IMO no earth-shattering differences between the two if you already have the -33. I have them both as a FC3 owner.

I hope Dr_Wigglespank would not mind if I add my question instead of making another thread as it is similar problem: What to buy (if anything). I have A-10C, FC3, Mirage 2k, Mig-21, F-86 and some frontal and roof propellers ;) and Nevada map.

I was thinking about learning Mirage, but that last changes and some bug debates confuses me a little. Anyway I am looking and those jets at 50% and try to make some list. And avoid excessive overlaps in poperties. So:

F-18 vs F-16 F-18 would be easily the choice as more refined module as well as universal land, navy A2A, A2G platform.

F-16 - our air forces are about to buy them and I do not expect to be at this price for 2-3 years. Otherwise I'd remove it from my list - but well this makes it valid candidate

Harrier Always loved that bird. Just it is something like: Oh, more power than A-10 ... wait, why not to step even further and buy F-18?

Viggen Same love, woud fit Cold War theme, just I am not sure

Mig-19 Thinking about it, love the bird, once again, Razbaam, complains about overpowered bird, too easy to fly and risk of the major rework = necessity to re-learn

F-5 Probably not. Pure dogfighter and coming from propellers I was always rather bomber-fighter

Maps: Persian Gulf or Normandy if I cannot have both of them? For now Gulf has upper hand for me.

So if you can (or anybody else) make some comments, I'd be glad. I am thinking about 1-2 planes and maybe 1 map.

Home Fries, thank you for the info. With the A-10C being much different than the A model, it does sound like it's worth buying. The Harrier sounds like a better purchase for the time being, and I'll pick up the A-10C at a later date.

Mungo13, I don't mind at all if you (or anyone else interested in modules/maps) add your questions. I'm also considering the Persian Gulf map, so any thoughts on that would help me, as well.

As for buying FC3, I had purchased the A-10A & F-15C several years ago during a Steam sale, but found that my old joystick didn't work, so I never played the game. I recently DL'd the non-Steam version and was able to transfer the keys for those planes. The Su-33 came in a package with the Hornet & Supercarrier (heck of a bargain there. Seems to have been taken down, though). I wasn't really interested in the Soviet planes, but the Su-33 has been fun, so I grabbed the MiG-29, as well. Just didn't see the point in grabbing the Su-27 unless it was quite different.

The Mirage is an excellent aircraft for learning DCS. It's clickable, but most of the switches are "set and forget," and it has an excellent autopilot to keep the plane in the air while you're messing with the systems.

One more thing about the Harrier: the training missions are the best of any of the DCS modules. Baltic Dragon really raised the bar both with the content and volume of the training missions, as well as the option to fly abbreviated missions in different circumstances (e.g. night, crosswinds, etc.) to try different things.

As for buying FC3, I had purchased the A-10A & F-15C several years ago during a Steam sale, but found that my old joystick didn't work, so I never played the game. I recently DL'd the non-Steam version and was able to transfer the keys for those planes. The Su-33 came in a package with the Hornet & Supercarrier (heck of a bargain there. Seems to have been taken down, though). I wasn't really interested in the Soviet planes, but the Su-33 has been fun, so I grabbed the MiG-29, as well. Just didn't see the point in grabbing the Su-27 unless it was quite different.

Obviously than you have the majority of the planes there and it makes no sense to buy the package - no bargain for you anymore. Maybe SU-25 could be still interesting for you, just it is opposing direction as A-10 to A-10C.

Myself I also made my first purchases on Steam then I transferred licenses to DCS stand-alone. Now I'd like to learn at least 2 planes to operate on ordinary level. A-10C or Su-25 unless I'll take Harrier plus one fighter. I've to systematically start somewhere as I have already forgotten more than once what I had learnt.

One more thing about the Harrier: the training missions are the best of any of the DCS modules. Baltic Dragon really raised the bar both with the content and volume of the training missions, as well as the option to fly abbreviated missions in different circumstances (e.g. night, crosswinds, etc.) to try different things.

This info sold me on the plane, as good training missions are exactly what I need. Surprisingly, I was able to use my miles with the sale.

Thanks again for the help.

I'd think about Flankers' roles and their use in missions rather than capabilities. So 27 as more of an interceptor and superiority fighter and 33 as a naval striker. You have different campaigns for them if you value SP.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I'd think about Flankers' roles and their use in missions rather than capabilities. So 27 as more of an interceptor and superiority fighter and 33 as a naval striker. You have different campaigns for them if you value SP.

You make a really good point. I'm generally into SP games/missions and I don't see myself getting into multiplayer for a very long time, if at all, so those missions will be valuable to me.

That's definitely something to consider, especially since the plane is so cheap. I appreciate the suggestion.