More help for Newbies

112th_Rossi

I don't consider myself a newbie to flight sims, it's been my choice of game type ever since Falcon 3.0.

Even though DCS A10C is arguably the best flight sim ever produced and even though theres a wealth of information to read on the forums and via other media, I still think that there should be more help for new comers.

I'd like to see more hints and on screen help for those that need it, which can be turned off easily from within options:

1. When ATC says you are cleared to Taxi to runway XX, a FSX style dotted line would help guide them to the right position. I have seen so many near misses and collisions because people are taking off from the wrong end of the runway.

2. When landing, some kind of inflight 'hologram' project at the correct side of the runway, indicating the correct end to land on. EF2000 had this ability and it was great. This can be switched off in options obviously. Or alternatively, ATC reminding the player that they are approaching from the wrong direction. At the moment they dont seem to care.

3. More choice over labels. Perhaps the following combinations: Friendly Aircraft Only, Friendly Ground Units Only, Enemy Aircraft Only, Enemy Ground Units Only, Wingmen Only, All.

4. When using the Auto Start up procedure, automatically move the view to the area that is being 'switched on' and highlight the switches so the user can learn.

5. A Tutor mode/First Person View. A player can allow another player to view his/her cockpit if they are having problems so to help guide them through procedures.

I appreciate the sim is quite complex and theres a lot to learn, but I still think we could do more to help the newcomer.

• Like 1

Yeah this looks good. I think No.5 is especially useful. 1. would be less important in my opinion since it's mostly only one runway (two directions) and you can just zoom in and out from F2 view to check or look at a compass but why not add it.Good ideas.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Yes in sim mode. Theres still the need for assists. You have to admit the learning curve is quite steep and so any OPTIONAL assists for the player would be welcomed, especially for training flights.

This wouldn't make it arcadey for anyone since they have the option to have those on or off and no other player would see these. Then as the player learns they can turn them off. Since this is a cooperative game for the most part, anything to help must be welcomed.

Also the assists are purely visual and do not affect systems or flight mechanics in anyway

Edited by 112th_Rossi

I'd agree, not in sim mode. Such things in my experience only serve to damage the learning process. People use them as an alternative to learning how to do things properly much like labels, then find themselves up **** creek without a paddle when they find themselves in the multiplayer environment and such crutches are not available.

Learn to do it right from the start, you'll save yourself a lot of work in the long run. If you don't want to learn all this stuff, well that's what the game mode features are for.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I would include these assists in multiplayer, in the same way that labels are allowed in some missions. Have the options forced on or off depending on the mission design. I disagree that it would harm the learning process as having a hint to show you how to do something is not deterimental to learning. Learning by example or assisted learning works.

I think that some people are protective of the pure nature of the simulation and look down upon assistance in anyway and think it may affect their game, when it won't.

Having the options in game mode only would be utterly useless. Making the sim less intimidating can only serve to help bring new people in and not scare them off due to its complexity. Like I said, the additions would be purely visual to the player the options turned on (like labels are at the moment) and would not affect anyone else. It could also be forced off via the server options of mission design.

• 2 weeks later...

I do agree with what you say . I sometime have issues with the sim and your ideas are amazing but the things that i have the most problems with is with the weapon system and the radio . I do have alot of things to learn and with these steps you could help me forward very very fast ! Thanks for the post !

1. When ATC says you are cleared to Taxi to runway XX, a FSX style dotted line would help guide them to the right position. I have seen so many near misses and collisions because people are taking off from the wrong end of the runway.

Diagrams of the different airfields are easily obtainable. Like any real-world pilot, have it handy if you're in an unfamiliar airport. Simply orientate the diagram with your current bearing & badda bing.

Second, reinforce ground school. A period of instruction can be easily done to familiarize a pilot with all the neat things found in an airport.

2. When landing, some kind of inflight 'hologram' project at the correct side of the runway, indicating the correct end to land on. EF2000 had this ability and it was great. This can be switched off in options obviously. Or alternatively, ATC reminding the player that they are approaching from the wrong direction. At the moment they dont seem to care.

I think everyone would like ATC to be more intelligent.

3. More choice over labels. Perhaps the following combinations: Friendly Aircraft Only, Friendly Ground Units Only, Enemy Aircraft Only, Enemy Ground Units Only, Wingmen Only, All.

I hate labels, but that's just my own opinion.

4. When using the Auto Start up procedure, automatically move the view to the area that is being 'switched on' and highlight the switches so the user can learn.

I'm not sure how fast the auto-start is in the A-10, but if it's anything like Black Shark, your screen will be flipping so fast, retention will be completely out the window.

5. A Tutor mode/First Person View. A player can allow another player to view his/her cockpit if they are having problems so to help guide them through procedures.

The start-up training isn't enough?

Alternatively, having a 2-ship group on the ramp. One calls out the steps over the mic, the other(s) follow along. Their response to you at each step is their flight position (not "check" or "on/off"), in order:

You: Master Arm Switch ON

Second aircraft: Two

Third aircraft: Three

This way, if there's a stall or if someone is stuck, you know exactly who to talk to. It also keeps chatter to a minimum.

Although, I do agree with you on your intent. In a perfect world...Black Shark & A-10 being the exceptions, a trainer variant included in the sim would have people going nucking futs. It would certainly enhance the playability as well as create a parallel with Virtual Squads. Honestly, Nevada would have a soul.

It could also be the test-bed for multi-crew pits, of course leading up to other aircraft requiring them.

One can wish, I suppose.

tell me about it.. specially with parking the aircraft, I once parked inside a red polygon not aligned with the white line in the middle and an F-16 came and shove his nose under my wing, that I had to power up the left engine first and did a turn using it to avoid hitting him.

Agreed, but since most missions come out of Batumi, your heading is inland not seaward... I think one has to remember the heading they fly out from, but still I like the idea.

That would be awesome in my case , SAS:megalol:

Any chance you're flying today?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 3 months later...

The training missions are a bit lacking. I see both sides of the argument. If they are not going to add the features to the game (which would be fine with me either way; I'd just turn them off anyway). More time could go into making the training missions. They are a good start but the holes that are left by only half explaining what to do is more detrimental. For example the ILS system, they don't explain how the pieces fit together and if you do the training and then try to use it in the sim your likely going to fail and just leave you more frustrated. Also real pilots don't just get a 10 minute course that says do this, then do this, then do this. They know how everything works together. ED is doing a great job of making the sims very realistic, but in doing so you need to bump up the training.

For example, F4(original release) is not nearly as complex but the training far surpasses anything ED has put out.

Letting ATC know you have an emergency would be pretty sweet too!

Edited by Smasher

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-------------------------------------------------

DCS A-10, LOMAC(FC2), Falcon 4.0(BMS)

-------------------------------------------------

Intel i7 2600K (OC: 4.8GHz) Liquid Cooled, EVGA GTX 570 HD, 16GB RAM, ASUS P8P67 PRO,SB X-FI Titanium HD