F-14 Q1 2020 Mini-Update

Cobra847

X99h4Of.jpg

Heatblur F-14 - Q1 Mini-Update

Dear All,

Greetings to you all in 2020. We’ve had an amazing year in 2019 at Heatblur, which saw the launch of the F-14! We still can’t believe it - and all of it has been thanks to all of you, who have supported us throughout development and beyond. Thank you for a wonderful year!

2019 was no doubt a hectic year for the team. Not only with the launch of the F-14 itself, but with the post-launch roadmap, and trying to squeeze in as many improvements over the course of the year as possible. While we’re proud of what we’ve achieved and the state that the F-14 launched in, we had a number of unfortunate and significant misses towards the tail end of the year. These include:

• The launch of the Forrestal

• The launch of AIM-54 improvements and TWS-A

• The launch of crew-position overhauls

• Launch of JESTER LANTIRN

• ..a few other more minor bits and bobs

While there are numerous causes for these features being delayed, the primary reason has been the interwoven and difficult nature of some of these additions.

Both AIM-54 additions and TWS-A were developed together, in one leading edge development branch that was very close to launch last year.

Unfortunately, we suffered a large setback with the new missile API in DCS not working as intended in Multiplayer.

Decoupling all of the features that were to launch combined together proved an insurmountable task, and we hectically backtracked and pushed stripped down builds of the F-14 in the last patches of 2019.

These kinds of issues are frustrating to deal with. We’re now working to decouple the features that are working properly from each other and begin to get the rollout of the above features back on track.

We’ve also involved our partners at Eagle Dynamics with regards to the missile API, but we unfortunately cannot offer any ETA on the AIM-54 changes and associated system issues.

Our current major efforts are focused almost exclusively on the above, and we intend to begin shipping features throughout Q1.

We’ll soon be coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the launch of the F-14; and we intend it to be a year of product improvements that we can stand behind and are proud of.

Beyond that; we do not want to see a second Tomcat anniversary without a completed product.

As an addendum, for the first time in a long time, we decided to take some quality time off from development over the holidays.

We haven’t properly done so in many years; and approaching 2020 in a recharged state will allow us to more effectively deliver on our roadmap.

Stay tuned for more information soon. We’ll also be starting to discuss the F-14A much more thoroughly as we steam through Q1.

Sincerely,

Heatblur F-14 Team

T659fSB.jpg

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you guys took some time off, often times consumers and sadly some companies expect devs to be some sort of superhumans that work almost 24/7 with no time off so they can get their new toy. Crunch and overworking is a very bad thing that nobody should wish on others.

Looking forward to what comes from HB in 2020, you guys are amazing!

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Thank you! Some additional questions....

Great update and thank you! Very exciting times ahead for the Tomcat!

The Forrestal looks incredible and it's nice to see the A-6 make an appearance as well.

Could we maybe get a list of what is still to be implemented, on top of the big ticket items?

For example:

Updated/finished B cockpit instruments and details

Improved external lighting

Improved/additional wing vapor effects

Additional official skins for the B

Additional Jester callouts and comms

One big question in regards to the Forrestal...if the Supercarrier is purchased, will it's comms/ATC work with the Forrestal as well?

Thank you again for the Tomcat and all the incredible work you do!

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Thanks a lot for the update. Software development is often like this: lot of work under the hood with no "visible" results, or one that can be shown off to the customers, but this is just as important nonetheless.

Am I wrong to get the feeling that we probably won't see the Forrestal in Q1, and the "A" model before Q3-ish? Just to manage expectations...

So is TWS Auto still bound to the Phoenix or can it be released with the Phoenix as it is?

Are there new targets for F-14A and Forrestal?

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I spent hundreds of hours studying, learning and researching the DCS F-14B, the entirety of my spare time for months for my blog. This wouldn't be possible without having an almost feature-complete EA.

I felt a bit burnt out at some point and this just a hobby for me, not my job! Therefore, I'm very happy about you taking time off, it's something so needed yet so often neglected :)

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Really happy to see the Update.

Glad you guys took a break to recharge, Work-Life-Balance is a very difficult task and should be taken very serious. Menthal Healt is very important.

Keep up the great work, I'm really enjoying the Tomcat so far :D

Thank you. Great realistic update.

-Steve

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Great stuff! Can we expect the numerous, small visual fixes for the 14 to be shipped fairly soon? (proper-B digital engine instruments, fixes to some spelling errors, the additional LAU-7 racks to be textured finally, ejection arming handle fix in the mirror etc.)

Having the Forrestal class carriers and the 14A before summer would sure be a blast!

Edited by Airhunter

Enlightening over the missile changes and makes a lot of sense, thank you for sharing. Obviously you dont want to point fingers, but I don't think you are the first developers to fully feel the way core changes to the game can really mess things up.

We can only hope that you get a clear runway ahead, no surprises or ambush code to deal with. And you know We love you and what you did for us (and we will ask for more like the ungrateful swines we are!)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Delays are never pleasant, but I do like that the new missile API not working in multiplayer implies that they are fixing or at least working on systems that may fix the horrible desync in multiplayer.

Thanks for all the hard work HB. I love the 14B, can't wait to kill myself in the 14A!