27" 144Hz or Oculus rift - What will it be?

desertowl

Hello all,

A repost from pc hardware forum, maybe this is a more suited forum.

I have a 24" 60Hz screen with a 1080ti gpu.

I cannot decide between current gen VR or quality 27" 144Hz monitor.

What say you?

If there is simeone here who has both and can provide inside information on what's more useful, it would be great.

10x in advance for the advice!

VR all the way.

For ref, I have a Dell 27” gsync. I always fly in VR

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

27" 144Hz or Oculus rift - What will it be?

Well due to VR I swapped out three 26" monitors and trackIR to a single 34" and use my Rift for sims. I tried to go back a few days ago due to needing to follow a complicated tutorial on paper but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. The feeling of being there is amazing in VR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an Oculus Rift since a couple of months and its really much more realistic than a regular monitor plus headtracking, in fact its much easier to fly as you can judge altitude and depth much better.

My GPU is on the minimum for VR, I have to reduce shadows and effects to the minimun in order to keep 45fps for smooth tracking ... but with your graphics card I'm sure you will be able to do much better than me :)

Keep the monitor for when you want to use the Mission Editor or need to take notes, but for flying the Oculus is much much enjoyable.

Cheers

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks for the comments, my biggest concerns are that a new VR device release is imminent, and the other is spotting and gauges readability (I fly mostly wwii).

However, the consensus in the forum is quite reassuring :thumbup:

VR

Hi to all..since were talking about VR and monitors i would like to know if i can zoom and unzoom with VR since i am planning to buy one. Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

frod - Yep, Zoom works in VR.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Got my Rift in Jan 2017, have not gamed on my monitor since - not any game.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

frod - Yep, Zoom works in VR.

To clarify that a little more, yes there is a zoom in VR, however it's only something like x2, not the ridiculous telescope that is available when using a monitor.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Went from 3 40” TVs, a touchscreen gauge/Helios monitor, and head tracking to a Samsung Odyssey. No comparison. I wouldn’t recommend the lower resolution of the Rift or Vive though if you want to be able to spot bogies and read the gauges.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Don't get the rift...

It's old.

Get the Samsung odyssey.

Also... to directly answer the question :)... I have a 60Hz 40" 4K that does 14ms and I have a Vive. I don't use the 40" 4K for any cockpit sim at all.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Went from 3 40” TVs, a touchscreen gauge/Helios monitor, and head tracking to a Samsung Odyssey. No comparison. I wouldn’t recommend the lower resolution of the Rift or Vive though if you want to be able to spot bogies and read the gauges.

The Rift works fine when setup correctly, so stop spreading misinformation.

Really don't want to get into a mine is better than yours situation but try before you buy. Personally with my fat head I find the oculus rift a lot more comfortable than the Samsung odyssey. Also as I use separate headset the removable headphones was useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your input.

I ended up buying the rift, knowing that in a year's time or so, I would purchase the next gen (and probably upgrade my gpu with it...).

See you in the skies!

:thumbup:

Good choice!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thank you all for your input.

I ended up buying the rift, knowing that in a year's time or so, I would purchase the next gen (and probably upgrade my gpu with it...).

See you in the skies!

I came into this thread late, but have a 27" 144 hz 1440 monitor. Got that before the Oculus Rift. I think you will enjoy the VR a lot.

One thing that I truly believe is that at this stage of VR it will be VERY individual taste. I like the resolution of the monitor, but the emersion of the VR is hard to beat.

BTW, if a game has VR, I do VR.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

I came into this thread late, but have a 27" 144 hz 1440 monitor. Got that before the Oculus Rift. I think you will enjoy the VR a lot.

One thing that I truly believe is that at this stage of VR it will be VERY individual taste. I like the resolution of the monitor, but the emersion of the VR is hard to beat.

BTW, if a game has VR, I do VR.

It’s not a taste thing, it’s an ability to adapt thing. Snowflakes have trouble with adapting and overcoming.

Edited by BigDuke6ixx