How do I increase TPOD visibility range?

sirrah

I post this here, but I might be a DCS wide question. Just noticed it while flying the 18.

How can I increase TPOD visibility?

As you can see in my screenshot, I can clearly see this island (Abu Musa) visually, yet on my right DDI the TPOD is only just coming in visible range (I took the screenshot as soon as the island edge became visible).

As the TPOD can zoom in extremely far, I'd expect it to be the other way around. TPOD view distance > eye sight

My settings:

Viewing distance: Extreme

Preload radius at maximum (not sure if this helps though)

In cockpit:

I have FLIR image activated

Screenshot taken in VR (zoomed in)

88588739_tpodvisibility.jpg.f22ae9ead2ade8e3afd95921fca7e8c5.jpg

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

The litening has a range of +/- 40 nm before it can see something. So even though your viewdistance let you see it, the POD itself won't show anything farther than 40 nm (maybe 42-43 but you get the point) ;)

Proud member of the french Virtual 31ST TOMCATTERS squadron :pilotfly:

Wishing for a DCS SUPER ETENDARD (MODERNIZED ?) :joystick:

Hehe those are two different answers :P

So is it true that the TPOD can only "see" as far as ~40nm? Or is this a bug? :)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I post this here, but I might be a DCS wide question. Just noticed it while flying the 18.

As you can see in my screenshot, I can clearly see this island (Abu Musa) visually, yet on my right DDI the TPOD is only just coming in visible range (I took the screenshot as soon as the island edge became visible).

As the TPOD can zoom in extremely far, I'd expect it to be the other way around. TPOD view distance > eye sight

My settings:

In cockpit:

What happens when you go to the narrow view(at image you are in wide)?

Still cant see the island?

What happens when you go to the narrow view(at image you are in wide)?

Still cant see the island?

Wide or narrow does not make a difference when it comes to draw distance

System specs:

So what you are telling me is that you still cant see it.

Very well.

I don't think you get my point :)

About 2 seconds before this screenshot was taken, the island was not visible on the right DDI. I was able to see it visually (through HUD) long before the TPOD picked it up

System specs:

I don't think you get my point :)

About 2 seconds before this screenshot was taken, the island was not visible on the right DDI. I was able to see it visually (through HUD) long before the TPOD picked it up

Yeah i know.

Your post was very clear.

Wasn't aware of the issue,because i have never activated t pod more than 30 nm away from target location.

+1 weird

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

My settings:

In cockpit:

I've noticed the same issue before now. I assumed it was just some level of detail thing with the game engine as you can be waiting for a while for objects on the ground to start rendering in the TPOD view too.

I've noticed the same issue before now. I assumed it was just some level of detail thing with the game engine as you can be waiting for a while for objects on the ground to start rendering in the TPOD view too.

True, but (enemy) ground units can be seen as soon as ground is rendered. In fact, the farther away you are, the easier it is to detect ground units. When you get closer, other ground objects and clutter become visible (are rendered) and make it more difficult to find your target.

I know.. sort of cheating ;)

System specs:

True, but (enemy) ground units can be seen as soon as ground is rendered. In fact, the farther away you are, the easier it is to detect ground units. When you get closer, other ground objects and clutter become visible (are rendered) and make it more difficult to find your target.

I know.. sort of cheating ;)

Yeah, there's some strange inconsistencies in there. I think I noticed it the most when I was setting up quick test missions and noticed static objects i'd put in as my targets were rendering almost last of all.

• 8 months later...
Has this been fixed yet?

I'm still seeing this as of the latest OpenBeta. Any chance we can get an update on this?

Wondering if there's a file we can change somewhere that will increase the LOD / draw distance for the TGP

The A-10 tpod visibly was way better. The image from Hornet's tgp is not very good, especially in the night. Hope it's WIP still...

Waaaay back in the initial release of A10C Warthog (beta 1 I think) the digital zoom on the lightning resulted in really low resolution in all modes at extreme range, IIRC this was particularly pronounced in the FLIR modes, as they presumably simulated a lower resolution output for that sensor as compared to the CCD sensor in the pod.

ED changed this quickly and explained that they felt the images were too degraded. My understanding was the math was correct on the initial version, the pixel count was correct and the digital zoom behaved as expected at long range; in other words the images looked like crap at really long ranges. As a side note: there was (as recently as four or five years ago) some vestiges of this original code commented out in one of the sensor .LUA files.

I've never personally seen real TGP footage at these extreme ranges but it would certainly be interesting to see how crisp/clear of an image the sensors can create, presumably there is a lot of digital trickery in the real sensor processing to clean up images.

It seems obvious that what the OP is seeing is a bug or engine limitation and I know my point is a bit OT, my apologies. However it would be interesting to know if ED is revisiting a more realistic TPod limitation for the Hornet and other new modules vis-à-vis digital zoom and it's real world limitations.

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

If the distant texture popup effect on the tpod DDI screen could at least be reduced by maybe blurring it or something..

Still.. I find it strange that my eye sight visual range exceeds the tpod maximum range by such a large margin (see screenshot in my OP)

System specs:

If the distant texture popup effect on the tpod DDI screen could at least be reduced by maybe blurring it or something..

Still.. I find it strange that my eye sight visual range exceeds the tpod maximum range by such a large margin (see screenshot in my OP)

It maybe due to Performance Issue. Though Hornet's Tpod is very low quality compared to A10C. I'll check with A-10 later.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

FLIR page visibly rendering

Hello All,

I wonder if this is how it works in real life, I have not seen this effect so far in videos...

Is FLIR page rendering limited to 45 nautical miles on purpose? Is it a bug or work in progress?

y4miaYLpWsNX-q5zQ9Eqszi7DYvPbZyfoqw651-31xPP0zZ7C6eDT5OkQ3-1DF5yf-FEMxTRXH63kJizJiZbRoYkiC2kzzQ3Tsze8Tfale3Pc7OLxSbirTZAqh-vzMzcGRBa17CKeqJmMkXeWcj4PbAsljSEO9M2o_sdpkiORk_N_Xw-HLlhnxutWEKU8-FILRRocmxqf8-hhMXVBUffMgziw?width=3840&height=1622&cropmode=none

My settings:

y4m0AH8kEtsRtDxnGhtdNDczlK5KYoakEEJ5UcoW3bHMVYOaVKLuD8GHWkQ84fsNI5zU8n0GgbzN3UCnAK20JoH6USugs401xAj4GGx9wFcwNAH_jP1079Z6D25mCciuY-lWUJNryYq4vEq0TI0DPQecp28zEDotbTDYk0U5_1KUHxByDfdfCcxAseBxqGdDADgDGz7I-T52mlGv4gSQeT38w?width=1284&height=778&cropmode=none

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Interesting

I got the same problem.

Yeah, so, if we assume that the slant range for our TGP is about 40 nautical miles - and that assumption is based on public information for AN/ASQ-228, I was not able to find this for our TGP - then it kind of makes sense, however, would it not just be blurry and not rendered at all?

I mean the effect is very poor, looks terrible, to be honest. I guess I would need to see the real-life recording from 28000 feet MSL to find out.

So, I am not about the range itself but about the graphical representation of it.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

This has nothing to do with the TPOD's performance. The ~43 NM rendering range is a limit imposed on all optical sensors in DCS. That limit was set some time ago, in order to limit the performance impact of using such sensors.

It's annoying to see at times, but none of the targeting pods we have in DCS should be able to be useful at that range anyway IRL, so at least we're not losing anything in terms of capability.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I also addressed this some time ago in this thread

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=252421

Although I don't mind the limited viewing range of the tpod (as long as it is accurate), seeing the ground suddenly render (popup if you will) is a bit of an immersion killer imho.

Would be nice if it were to render a bit more gradually

System specs: