Any possibility for a Invincible class carrier?

104th_Maverick

Well there is a mod...

But yes an official "ski jump" ship would be better... Preferably one that operated the NA version, if any... Caveour maybe?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

;4117934']00074F8D00000C1D-0-The_BBC_refused_to-m-40_1424912573862.jpg

With Falklands in the works, is there any possibility to see anInvincible class carrier in future?

Your picture is of HMS Hermes a Centaur class carrier. Razbam have shown WIP images of the Invincible class so we should be good on that front in due course.

A user mod of Hermes already exists.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=209539

As per above get the Hermes Mod its brilliant for the harrier also allows greater take off weight as you would expect so more bombs on target!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Razbam have shown WIP images of the Invincible class so we should be good on that front in due course.

Not interested in mods (but it looks awesome tho) I'm holding out to get it in the actual game so we can use it on public servers :)

Do you have a link for the Razbam pics of the WIP carrier sir?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Yup its a nice page, but those posts are pretty old. I wouldn't hold my breath for a release any time soon..

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well there is a mod...

But yes an official "ski jump" ship would be better... Preferably one that operated the NA version, if any... Caveour maybe?

The Cavour (or the Giuseppe Garibaldi before it) did not operate the NA version, just the AV8B+ to my knowledge.

But of course, I would be all for it :pilotfly::thumbup:

The Cavour (or the Giuseppe Garibaldi before it) did not operate the NA version, just the AV8B+ to my knowledge.

But of course, I would be all for it :pilotfly::thumbup:

I dont think anyone outside the USMC operated the NA off ships. The gr. 5 IIRC is the closest variant bit that wasnt operated off carriers go my knowledge.

The GR.7 and GR.9 are the NA equivalents, the GR.5 had no FLIR and was roughly the same as the base AV-8B other than the ECM and some avionics.

The GR.7 and 9 both flew off the Invincible class initially alongside the Sea Harrier FA.2 and after its retirement.

Hm i thought the 9 had a radar and was more like the av8b+

No, none of the RAF Harriers ever had a radar, unless you count the altimeter of course ;)

The Royal Navy Sea Harriers did, the Sea Harrier FA.2 had the Blue Vixen Radar and AMRAAM which was somewhat equivalent to the Plus in capability, but the airframe, wings etc. were from the original Harrier generation, there was also no TGP or FLIR so they were very different aircraft.

Sea Harrier FA.2

800px-Sea_Harrier_FA2_2_%2814352367186%29.jpg

800px-Sea_Harrier_FA2.jpg

Harrier GR.9

800px-ZG502_73_a_Harrier_GR.9_of_the_RAF_%284710819125%29.jpg

800px-RAF_British_Aerospace_Harrier_GR9_Lofting-1.jpg

Edited by Lordzarj
Added images

The SHAR 2 radar was a properly developed AI radar - not sure if that had any A/G mode like the II+ ex-Hornet radar does, it certainly had look-down over land which was a long way in advance of the SHAR 1 radar which was a modified Seaspray anti-ship radar from the Lynx, of all things. It was only intended to spot larger targets & being originally anti-ship at least worked reasonably at sea... unfortunately it was very rushed. The SHAR 2 Blue Vixen radar became Typhoon's CAPTOR ( somewhat ), so I doubt we're seeing that anytime soon.

To round it up the Indian SHAR1s operating from ex-Hermes got upgraded with an Israeli AA/AG radar.

Reading a Falklands book at the moment ( Hostile Skies ), it seems the GR3 could laser designate - presumably with a fixed laser. I was always under the impression they could just receive, so did the GRx also have a spot designator?

Hermes mod is well worth a look - unfortunately you can't spawn on it yet though. Regardless of that it's another deck to fly off.

Edit: Blue Vixen did have air-to-surface capability.

Edited by Richard Dastardly

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

No, none of the RAF Harriers ever had a radar, unless you count the altimeter of course ;)

The Royal Navy Sea Harriers did, the Sea Harrier FA.2 had the Blue Vixen Radar and AMRAAM which was somewhat equivalent to the Plus in capability, but the airframe, wings etc. were from the original Harrier generation, there was also no TGP or FLIR so they were very different aircraft.

Sea Harrier FA.2

800px-Sea_Harrier_FA2_2_%2814352367186%29.jpg

800px-Sea_Harrier_FA2.jpg

Harrier GR.9

800px-ZG502_73_a_Harrier_GR.9_of_the_RAF_%284710819125%29.jpg

800px-RAF_British_Aerospace_Harrier_GR9_Lofting-1.jpg

Thanks for enlightening me. I thought the at least one of the gr. versions was the sea harrier. Guess not :)

Hermes mod is well worth a look - unfortunately you can't spawn on it yet though. Regardless of that it's another deck to fly off.

Used to be able to spawn on it, did that change recently?

Reading a Falklands book at the moment ( Hostile Skies ), it seems the GR3 could laser designate - presumably with a fixed laser. I was always under the impression they could just receive, so did the GRx also have a spot designator?

I don’t believe so, the device in the nose of the GR.3 was known as the Laser Ranger and Marked Target Seeker, so whilst it could emit it was only in terms of ranging as far as I am aware. It would be pretty inaccurate (and dangerous in combat) to have to point the whole aircraft at the target I would imagine. The marked target seeker would be somewhat like LSS on the ARBS although without the camera, perhaps Pave Penny on the A-10A is a better match. The LRMTS was also used on the Jaguar and Tornado.

I’ve read Hostile Skies but it was a while ago, how is it worded? I thought that all GBU drops in the Falklands were ground designated. Happy to be wrong on all counts though!

Edit: just found this looking for more info on LRMTS, it has nice details on the Falklands GBU drops and says they tried to guide the bombs with the laser ranger on one occasion but it wasn’t compatible with Paveway (you would think they would have known that beforehand).

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1982/1982%20-%202627.PDF

Edited by Lordzarj

Used to be able to spawn on it, did that change recently?

Last few times I tried I've just fallen overboard on spawn, but admittedly I don't think I've tried since the last round of carrier fixes. Might have something to do with being in motion also.

I don’t believe so, the device in the nose of the GR.3 was known as the Laser Ranger and Marked Target Seeker, so whilst it could emit it was only in terms of ranging as far as I am aware. It would be pretty inaccurate (and dangerous in combat) to have to point the whole aircraft at the target I would imagine. The marked target seeker would be somewhat like LSS on the ARBS although without the camera, perhaps Pave Penny on the A-10A is a better match. The LRMTS was also used on the Jaguar and Tornado.

I’ve read Hostile Skies but it was a while ago, how is it worded? I thought that all GBU drops in the Falklands were ground designated. Happy to be wrong on all counts though!

Edit: just found this looking for more info on LRMTS, it has nice details on the Falklands GBU drops and says they tried to guide the bombs with the laser ranger on one occasion but it wasn’t compatible with Paveway (you would think they would have known that beforehand).

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1982/1982%20-%202627.PDF

Pointing the aircraft at the target isn't really any different to using unguided rockets, and back then don't forget most attacks were done at very low level so getting close to the target wasn't so frowned on as today ( in 1982 manpad threat was also tiny ); additionally the Harrier has the worlds best dive brake if you wanted to point from altitude! however yeah, they wanted to bomb Stanley from high level because of the local Roland system & weren't having any luck until they got some Paveway kits, reading between the lines they seem to have got the kits and what amounts to advertising blurb rather than a manual... I guess the thought process went "well, we have a laser on the aircraft, so..."

But yes, as compatible as the Ka-50 for us to have buddy lasing. Would have been an interesting if desperate field mod to make it compatible somehow :p

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Last few times I tried I've just fallen overboard on spawn, but admittedly I don't think I've tried since the last round of carrier fixes. Might have something to do with being in motion also.

Thanks for telling me... :thumbup:

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

The Harrier spawns on the Stbd quarter for me perfectly well and always has done.

Bow spawn for the 72 version or 4 choppers.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

The Harrier spawns on the Stbd quarter for me perfectly well and always has done.

Bow spawn for the 72 version or 4 choppers.

I've had no issues spawning in the harrier or the F14 on either the 73 or 81 versions as of yesterday...

Sharkey Ward has a bit of a mixed reputation...

Was interesting reading about the rivalry( not all good natured ) between the two carriers, and how the Hermes crews seem to get more out of the radar than the Invincible ones.

Sharkey Ward has a bit of a mixed reputation...

Was interesting reading about the rivalry( not all good natured ) between the two carriers, and how the Hermes crews seem to get more out of the radar than the Invincible ones.

from what I heard it was not welcome in the raf how he finish the shutdown of the c 130 when it was about to make a sea landing. but that's old history.