ED Forums - View Single Post - Improved stability and dedicated server - Discussion
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
commandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
However, please keep in mind that the server can also have a massive effect. Many factors can affect network play that range from server hardware, over-populated missions, bad scripts, too many clients based on the server hardware, connection ping/packet loss, etc. Moving forward, we are investigating “official servers” that will offer many benefits. One of the chief items will be that the server and missions must provide a quality online experience. We’ll be talking more about this later in the year.
I appreciate the measured response.

I'm somebody that was playing DCS actively back when the Ka-50 and A-10 were standalone releases and through the initial DCS World release. I've been out of the game since around 2014, but recently jumped back in -- and have been actively buying new modules -- due to multiplayer.

To the point at hand: I remember promises of a coming dedicated server release being made back in those days. Obviously, that's still not here. Am I parsing your statement here correctly that any such release is still pretty far out on the timeline?

Not needing to run the full game client on a gaming machine as a "server" would go an incredibly long way toward addressing quite a few of the issues you just listed.
commandar is offline   Reply With Quote