HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I am also noticing the "haze." I lifted off with an F-18 and once I got to 20,000' everything looked washed out. First instance of the washed out colors that I've seen. I also played The Forest for a short time, and saw the same. Not sure if there is a settling that could be easily adjusted to increase saturation slightly. In any case, the haze was a let down. I may have to try that mod out to reduce it. It is distracting.

Intel i7 8700K / ASRock Pro 4 / 32 Gb Patriot Viper 3200mhz DDR4 / Founders Edition RTX2080 / 250 Gb Westgate SSD for OS / 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD / Win 10 - 64bit / HP Reverb / VKB Combat Stick & Thrustmaster WarthogThrottle / MFG Crosswinds Pedals / 32 Input Button Box / Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Lucky me. Started up my Reverb and have two dead pixels in the right lcd. Not happy right now.

Intel i7 8700K / ASRock Pro 4 / 32 Gb Patriot Viper 3200mhz DDR4 / Founders Edition RTX2080 / 250 Gb Westgate SSD for OS / 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD / Win 10 - 64bit / HP Reverb / VKB Combat Stick & Thrustmaster WarthogThrottle / MFG Crosswinds Pedals / 32 Input Button Box / Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Lucky me. Started up my Reverb and have two dead pixels in the right lcd. Not happy right now.

Return it, $650.00 should be dead pixel free.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Ok. So I learned I had stuck pixels, not dead pixels. Sorry, I misunderstood what I was looking at. Happy to report they cleared using the RBG videos you can find on You Tube. After a reboot, I confirmed both screens are working with no stuck pixels. Learn something new every day, as they say.

I am also noticing the "haze." I lifted off with an F-18 and once I got to 20,000' everything looked washed out. First instance of the washed out colors that I've seen. I also played The Forest for a short time, and saw the same. Not sure if there is a settling that could be easily adjusted to increase saturation slightly. In any case, the haze was a let down. I may have to try that mod out to reduce it. It is distracting.

That haze was one of the reasons I returned my Reverb a couple of months ago.

IMO, the Index is a superior headset in every respect except resolution, and even the difference in that is not so great when a higher SS/PD value is used.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Well, as I've said before, there is a lot more to a good headset than just a basic resolution number!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Well, as I've said before, there is a lot more to a good headset than just a basic resolution number!
I currently have both an Index and a Reverb. While it is possible to push the Index with SS & PD to get closer to the Reverb clarity the performance starts to suffer as you find yourself pushing far more pixels in my experience.

The great thing with the Reverb is it can be run at native or lower resolution and still look very clear.

I think people get put off the Reverb because they think they couldn't drive it with their hardware due to its high resolution where in fact it is easier to drive because it doesn't need loads of over sampling like lower res devices.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I currently have both an Index and a Reverb. While it is possible to push the Index with SS & PD to get closer to the Reverb clarity the performance starts to suffer as you find yourself pushing far more pixels in my experience.

The great thing with the Reverb is it can be run at native or lower resolution and still look very clear.

I think people get put off the Reverb because they think they couldn't drive it with their hardware due to its high resolution where in fact it is easier to drive because it doesn't need loads of over sampling like lower res devices.

We could debate this forever, but there is so much more to this than simple res numbers as I said. There is comfort, build quality, tracking, audio and speaker quality, no WMR, sweet spot, image quality, etc. etc.

IMO, the Index is the better choice, but others may feel differently.

Regarding the SS topic, it doesn't involve pushing more pixels than the Reverb, that depends entirely on your settings.

We could debate this forever, but there is so much more to this than simple res numbers as I said. There is comfort, build quality, tracking, audio and speaker quality, no WMR, sweet spot, image quality, etc. etc.

IMO, the Index is the better choice, but others may feel differently.

Regarding the SS topic, it doesn't involve pushing more pixels than the Reverb, that depends entirely on your settings.

For me personally to get even close to the Reverb I pushed the Index to significantly higher SS such that it was performing less well. That was my experience.

I agree about resolution not being the be all and end all. However, visual clarity has always been my issue with VR and the Reverb finally gets us where I hoped to be.

The Index is close though and has many better attributes so it depends what you want, which can be hard to know without trying!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

For me personally to get even close to the Reverb I pushed the Index to significantly higher SS such that it was performing less well. That was my experience.

I agree about resolution not being the be all and end all. However, visual clarity has always been my issue with VR and the Reverb finally gets us where I hoped to be.

The Index is close though and has many better attributes so it depends what you want, which can be hard to know without trying!

Of course, it's down to personal taste, but I have owned the CV1, Vive Pro, Reverb and the Index, and I would say that the Reverb had the least 'visual clarity' of them all. Not in terms of pixels - obviously! - but in visual quality, dynamic range and contrast. Also, as someone else mentioned above, there was a hazy feel to the Reverb terrain image that I didn't like.

Of course, it's down to personal taste, but I have owned the CV1, Vive Pro, Reverb and the Index, and I would say that the Reverb had the least 'visual clarity' of them all. Not in terms of pixels - obviously! - but in visual quality, dynamic range and contrast. Also, as someone else mentioned above, there was a hazy feel to the Reverb terrain image that I didn't like.
On another forum someone said they would take the clarity of the Reverb even if it was in black & white, so it shows how personal preference dictates what we mean by clarity! I wouldn't go that far, I would agree the Index is a bit better in terms of those things you describe and the "old" OLED displays better still but I would trade the clearness of the image.

On another forum someone said they would take the clarity of the Reverb even if it was in black & white, so it shows how personal preference dictates what we mean by clarity! I wouldn't go that far, I would agree the Index is a bit better in terms of those things you describe and the "old" OLED displays better still but I would trade the clearness of the image.

Purely personal again, but I didn't find the Reverb to be that much clearer, a bit, yes, but not a lot, especailly with higher SS on the Index which my system can easily handle. And that is another aspect of how these comparisons are very subjective, the performance and image quality depends a lot on the system it is running in and what settings you are able to run.

Purely personal again, but I didn't find the Reverb to be that much clearer, a bit, yes, but not a lot, especailly with higher SS on the Index which my system can easily handle. And that is another aspect of how these comparisons are very subjective, the performance and image quality depends a lot on the system it is running in and what settings you are able to run.
Agreed although I am running a 8600K @ 5GHz and also a Palit RTX2080Ti, so pretty similar systems.

I think I need to have another go with the Index & DCS because I feel I am missing something, or it could just be my concept of visual quality differs, which is more than possible!

Owned both the Reverb and the Index, kept the Reverb and sent the Index back.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Yes indeed. I tested all three headsets (Rift S, VI, and the Reverb) and the Valve Index would win in DCS if not for being a good notch down on resolution IMO. Clarity is so critical to the nature of the mission play in spotting lights, targets, etc. at great distances. Also, in reading many gauges and small fine text. I could care less if the colors are slightly less bright on a tank I need to spot from afar and then blow up.

For winning in DCS clarity isn't everything - it's the only thing. :smilewink:

Looks like reverb had a hard time if there would be a version of Index with same resolution :music_whistling:

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

FYI - Those with dual monitor and/or SLI set up with a Reverb, I found having those active was causing DCS to be jittery even when I had CPU and GPU frametimes around 11 -18ms. I couldn't figure out why DCS felt like it had slow FPS when looking out the sides of the cockpit looking at terrain objects even when I had a constant 43-45 FPS with Reprojection enabled. As soon as I turned off both SLI and my second monitor, DCS complete smoothed out with the Reverb.

Well sad weekend update.

My Reverb has started to have problems after 3 weeks. This is the ShopBLT version with the cable clip. I also did the cable mod to provide strain relief. I've only used it seated for DCS and even then mostly looking straight ahead.

I first noticed, "snow" kind of like you used to get with old TV's when the reception was not good, overlayed on the scene to varying degrees when I looked down and right.

Then trying to "fix" this problem by turning the cable resulted a loss of one eye picture (black) then Both.

Further futzing with the cable restored the system to function, but I'm still getting periodic snow and random black outs.

I'm gonna contact HP soon to get it exchanged.

Anyone get a Gen2 version yet?

How fast is the exchange process? Do I need to send it in and then they exchange it, or do they send me one, and I send the bad one back. (Pro Version)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well sad weekend update.

My Reverb has started to have problems after 3 weeks. This is the ShopBLT version with the cable clip. I also did the cable mod to provide strain relief. I've only used it seated for DCS and even then mostly looking straight ahead.

I first noticed, "snow" kind of like you used to get with old TV's when the reception was not good, overlayed on the scene to varying degrees when I looked down and right.

Then trying to "fix" this problem by turning the cable resulted a loss of one eye picture (black) then Both.

Further futzing with the cable restored the system to function, but I'm still getting periodic snow and random black outs.

How fast is the exchange process? Do I need to send it in and then they exchange it, or do they send me one, and I send the bad one back. (Pro Version)

How long was your typical running session and your longest so far before it crapped out on you?

How long was your typical running session and your longest so far before it crapped out on you?

Typical playtime for me is ~2 hours, max about 3 (rare), or 1hr (common) about every other day, and a bit more on weekends.

In terms of crapping out it started on Saturday, no issues prior (3 weeks I've had it), its entirely cable/connector related, so it will fail instantly if the cable is wrong. I can set it up, and have it be fine though, it has no relation to time played, just if the cable/connector gets the wrong pressure on it I will either see the snow, or it will crap out entirely, but a bit of futzing can get it right back to normal.

I think the snow, is an issue on the vid cable side (interference/crap shielding?)

I think the blackouts are the unit loosing power temporarily. If you are playing its recoverable, though I have had more hard crashes with DCS since installing WMR/Rift while playing DCS. Initially they were Nvidia driver related (fixed by fresh reinstall), but I do get some random blue-screens here and there.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Typical playtime for me is ~2 hours, max about 3 (rare), or 1hr (common) about every other day, and a bit more on weekends.

In terms of crapping out it started on Saturday, no issues prior (3 weeks I've had it), its entirely cable/connector related, so it will fail instantly if the cable is wrong. I can set it up, and have it be fine though, it has no relation to time played, just if the cable/connector gets the wrong pressure on it I will either see the snow, or it will crap out entirely, but a bit of futzing can get it right back to normal.

I think the snow, is an issue on the vid cable side (interference/crap shielding?)

I think the blackouts are the unit loosing power temporarily. If you are playing its recoverable, though I have had more hard crashes with DCS since installing WMR/Rift while playing DCS. Initially they were Nvidia driver related (fixed by fresh reinstall), but I do get some random blue-screens here and there.

I was getting the same issues on my first Reverb after I did the cable mod. I recommend on your next one, not to bend the cable and just leave it alone and hang down. I left my new Reverb cable alone and have not had any issues so far. There should be no reason to do the mod anymore with the slip on clip as I suspect the cable may be getting damaged by putting those sharp bends in them for the mod. Just my two cents, take it for what is worth.

Well sad weekend update.

I would check ShopBLT and see if you qualify for an RMA. I cant recall exactly what their policy is, but I think I read that they will replace defective merchandise but you need an RMA to do it. Ah screw it, I just copied from their site. This isnt all of it.

"IMPORTANT: You cannot return any item without an RMA number and the manufacturer's packaging. Do NOT return items to the originating warehouse. You MUST obtain an RMA number first. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Defective and factory sealed items can be returned for replacement, store credit, or refund within 30 days of the purchase date. "Defective" means an item is non-functioning, incompatible with your operating system, or doesn't function as described or advised by the manufacturer. "Factory Sealed" means an item is in 100% resalable condition, with all manufacturer's seals intact. "Purchase Date" is the day we shipped your order, noted on your receipt. You must obtain a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number from us to process any return or replacement, within 30 days of the purchase date. You MUST obtain an RMA number online at ShopBLT.com, using the Returns / Exchanges link. RMA numbers are NOT issued by telephone. You cannot return, replace, claim a lost shipment, or request an RMA number 31 days or more after the purchase date. RMA requests submitted on or after 5:00 PM eastern time are treated as submitted on the following business day."

I would so try to RMA it with a new one. You may qualify, and who knows, ShopBLT might replace it with a newer one made week 31 or more. Cant hurt to find out.

Well sad weekend update.

Damn that's unfortunate because I was hoping you would have gotten a revision 2 but no one really knows except to go by the date on the device. I'm waiting a bit until some people that ordered from HP to see how they fair out.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I was getting the same issues on my first Reverb after I did the cable mod. I recommend on your next one, not to bend the cable and just leave it alone and hang down. I left my new Reverb cable alone and have not had any issues so far. There should be no reason to do the mod anymore with the slip on clip as I suspect the cable may be getting damaged by putting those sharp bends in them for the mod. Just my two cents, take it for what is worth.

Yeah I actually undid the mod at this point and its at least not worse. I never introduced any sharp curves in the cable either, I just ziptied the connector to the side of the set to keep things linear.