DCS: F-14 - Brickdust's "Drunken Sailor" VR Friendly Cockpit

Fubarbrickdust

Wow, thank you very much. You are great. :)

I give 3.0 a try for this exercise day. If had some issues to activate my tacan as pilot. The lower numbers are to big, i see no space between them, just a blurrywhite mess even with VR Zoom. I think that should me more like the original where i never encounter that problems. The problem is not that the numbers are not readable. But for me the numbers touch so its really hard to see.

No problem, it was quite a good QOL suggestion.

Are you saying there's an readability issue on the pilot TACAN wheel/numbers with the mod? - I'll look into it and correct/roll back if so.

Thanks,

Brick.

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Quick update with pics on RIO pit progress...

Only really posting as I'd had a bitch of a time and then a breakthrough with the push buttons/back lighting...not really apparent from flat images, but still.

Wanted to mark the occasion. Totally self serving...won't make a habit of it.

RioCtrVAN.thumb.JPG.099701dd4d6ecd46a4e86a670201dc7e.JPG < Vanilla -- Mod > RioCtrMOD.thumb.JPG.b8f13eac6a5830bda09e47671540d64e.JPG

The rest is moving along nicely.

Brick.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Quick update with pics on RIO pit progress...

Only really posting as I'd had a bitch of a time and then a breakthrough with the push buttons/back lighting...not really apparent from flat images, but still.

Wanted to mark the occasion. Totally self serving...won't make a habit of it.

[ATTACH]208932[/ATTACH] < Vanilla -- Mod > [ATTACH]208933[/ATTACH]

The rest is moving along nicely.

Brick.

Fantastic work! Do you have any idea as to when Heatblur will fix the custom cockpits bug?

Modules: F-14A/B, A-10C, F/A-18C

Hardware: Thrustmaster T.16000M, Samsung Odyssey Plus

System: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.90, EVGA FTW3 1080ti, ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, G.Skill Trident Z 16GB @2933, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, 2 x 1TB HDD in Raid 0

I strongly support this. Does it pass IC yet? I only really fly the Cat online sooo that matters to me.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I strongly support this. Does it pass IC yet? I only really fly the Cat online sooo that matters to me.

It will once he updates it for Custom Cockpits. See Below.

Mod updated to v0.3 - See 1st post for details

NOTE ON PROGRESS:

Saved Games 'Custom Cockpit' availability - this is gonna have to wait a bit longer as it isn't working on the HB/ED side. They are aware and it's been submitted and acknowledged as a issue/bug.

Cheers,

Brick.

Modules: F-14A/B, A-10C, F/A-18C

Hardware: Thrustmaster T.16000M, Samsung Odyssey Plus

System: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.90, EVGA FTW3 1080ti, ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, G.Skill Trident Z 16GB @2933, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, 2 x 1TB HDD in Raid 0

Mod Updated to v0.4

Mod updated to v0.4 - See 1st post for details. Thought I'd push this update out as 'life' has me pretty busy over the next week...

Biggest change: RIO pit well underway! Changelog below :thumbup:

v0.4 - RIO Pit Underway. Buttons Buttons Buttons!

- 1st pass on the RIO pit done. All centre and majority of left panels complete. All pushbuttons + back lights reworked.

- Reworked compass instruments (after suggestion from forum member 'Larkis', thanks for the idea!).

- Added pointer marks to RIO radio selector switch knobs.

- Fixed TACAN dial number legibility issue from previous release.

It's looking highly likely that the next release will be the final one before moving on to the next 'VR Friendly Pit'...

Plans are to finish off the RIO office, of course. Add the BE option for the rear. Iron out any fixes that are needed. And hopefully have the mod IC compliant via the Custom Cockpit option...Obviously depending on wether the fix from ED/HB is in place by then.

If the latter doesn't happen in time, I'll be keeping my ear to the ground and update the mod as soon as it does.

Cheers,

Brick.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have my computer at the moment so can't check but just before you shoot off to work on other cockpits there was a knob in the RIO seat that was really hard to see what direction it was pointing... I think it was a TACAN one, possibly the radio. Don't suppose you can see about adding contrast to the lines that some of the knobs have or adding lines where they dont have one at all?

I don't have my computer at the moment so can't check but just before you shoot off to work on other cockpits there was a knob in the RIO seat that was really hard to see what direction it was pointing... I think it was a TACAN one, possibly the radio. Don't suppose you can see about adding contrast to the lines that some of the knobs have or adding lines where they dont have one at all?

Hey RoyMi6,

The current F-14 pit is still the focus as it’s not 100% done yet, I won’t be moving to the next till it’s dusted. The recent pace of updates has taken a hit as work is very busy at the moment, and I’ve just done a Z390 platform upgrade/OS wipe so that’s hampered productivity also.

As for the pointer knobs - are you using the latest release of the mod (v0.4)? As I added exactly what you describe to the RIO radio function selectors with the release. I can’t remember if I did the TACAN selectors as well, but if not I’ll have a look and add it (and any other knobs that would benefit) to the list.

Cheers,

Brick.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

Has anyone noticed a FPS improvement in VR with the F14 with this mod or does it only improve instrument visibility?

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Has anyone noticed a FPS improvement in VR with the F14 with this mod or does it only improve instrument visibility?

Heya westr,

My mod does not downscale/reduce texture size or remove mipmaps, I preserves the file quality and size as per HB's original textures, so performance should be the identical.

There is a mod out there that halves the resolution/file size of the F-14 pit textures. Which could help if you're running low on VRAM. By a chap called Japo32 i believe. A search of the 'User Files' section on the main DCS site should dig it up for you.

Cheers,

Brick.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

Heya westr,

My mod does not downscale/reduce texture size or remove mipmaps, I preserves the file quality and size as per HB's original textures, so performance should be the identical.

There is a mod out there that halves the resolution/file size of the F-14 pit textures. Which could help if you're running low on VRAM. By a chap called Japo32 i believe. A search of the 'User Files' section on the main DCS site should dig it up for you.

Cheers,

Brick.

Thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Just downloaded this mod and tried it out in a LANTIRN training mission that I have used for a while. It is superb!

Many thanks for taking the time to create this. I feel like I can really start learning in more detail now in VR.

Great stuff.

Edited by Mule

Just downloaded this mod and tried it out in a LANTIRN training mission that I have used for a while. It is superb!

Many thanks for taking the time to create this. I feel like I can really start learning in more detail now in VR.

Great stuff.

Thanks for the kind words, Mule. I'm really glad that peeps are finding the mod helpful.

I've just done a PC rebuild and am gearing up for the final push to get it done and finished. However, Blue Flag MP has been pulling my DCS focus a bit! It's awesome! But I think I need to knuckle down and get back on the task...It's looming on me like an unpaid bill! lol!

Cheers,

Brick.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brick,

Even with the increased clarity of the Rift S, I was still struggling to read what I was clicking on.

Thank you so much for this work, I can finally knuckle down and learn this plane.

Cheers.

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 4.8 GHz |32 GB RAM 3000 MHz C15 | 1080ti | H150i | Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB m2.NVMe | Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1 TB

Rift CV1| Rift S| TM Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind pedals | NLR v3 motion platform

Vaicom Pro https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=198297

SimShaker for Aviators https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=175028&highlight=Simshaker

Point CTRL https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Brick,

Even with the increased clarity of the Rift S, I was still struggling to read what I was clicking on.

Thank you so much for this work, I can finally knuckle down and learn this plane.

Cheers.

You are very welcome good sir. Glad it's helping out :thumbup:

How's the RIO's pit? It about ready for release yet?

Heya reaper,

Irritatingly, work and real life has drastically reduced my free time recently. What little DCS time I've had I've chosen to do a bit of flying and venturing into MP as well as enjoying the Rift S.

That's not to say the project's abandoned, far from it...it's quite near to being done, just a few more panels on the back seat to go.

Out of curiosity, are you using the most recent version (0.4)? Reason being that the bulk and business end of the RIO pit is in that release, I'd say about 75% of the panels. Check it out if you haven't, it may well tide you through.

Cheers,

Brick.

Mod Updated to v0.5

Hey all,

Thought I'd best do a little update as it's been a while - I was gonna wait until the whole thing was complete, but as the going's been a little slow of late I'll throw up what has been worked on.

See 1st post for link: HERE

Changelog:

v0.5 - More RIO Pit...but not all.

RIO annunciator and warning lights complete.

Additional RIO panels reworked - RWR, ECM, CMS, Lights & COMM/NAV CMD.

A few roughmet errors fixed.

Cheers & thanks for all the kind shouts and encouragement :thumbup:

Brick.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to thank you for your work. The mod has made flying the Tomcat much easier in VR (I can actually read things).

If you get time please keep up the good work.

Thanks again.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

hey Fubarbrickdust, thanks for the mod! This days I´ve been trying to learn the RIO office and it´s almost impossible to differenciate when a button is pressed or not, as I barely can see the text lights. I hope your mod solves this.

One question, though: Is it a proper cockpit mod? meaning, can it be selected in the options or it just replaces de vanilla files?