9k33 Osa SAM vertical radar tracking angle limit?

D4n

So, trying the Osa in DCS, it seems it looses track of enemy jets right above the SAM (at several km altitude). Does anyone know if this is realistic? I would expect the radars to be able to turn up 90° upwards, am I wrong?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

So, trying the Osa in DCS, it seems it looses track of enemy jets right above the SAM (at several km altitude). Does anyone know if this is realistic? I would expect the radars to be able to turn up 90° upwards, am I wrong?

Most ground based radars cannot mechanically or electronically scan 90 upwards. It is just how such systems are designed. In real life air defense is multi layered which means SAM units mutually support each other's weak spots.

I have attached a generic SAM envelope. You can notice the V shape which dictates min range because of how the radar system is designed.

SAMenv.jpg.e0025d56ab3586078f7ccf8fa99bf087.jpg

tested in mission editor, an F-15 Ai flew over me, and my radar lost track, although I was able to aim that high right at the F-15.

I guess also that it's unrealistic that Osa needs 20 seconds or more to lock and fire at a target that is just 5 km away? (I imagine it can do in 5-10 seconds)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

But I think the "in range" message is accurate, I think it calculates if the enemy aircraft is in no-escape zone or not... And SAM Sim didn't work for me, although I followed all steps of some tutorial I found.

I guess also that it's unrealistic that Osa needs 20 seconds or more to lock and fire at a target that is just 5 km away? (I imagine it can do in 5-10 seconds)

It isn't, the 20 seconds takes into account operating the various systems, settling time for the radar, gyro spin-up for the missiles and a couple other things. These older SAMs don't have rapid reaction times, the SA-15 can do 5 seconds at its best though, just like in the sim.

In DCS Is not implemented yet switch on tracking radar only. That’s why is 20 seconds because DCS make you turn searching radar and tracking radar at the same time such thing is not realistic. But remember we don’t have a full simulated SEAD module yet so it is a fair situation at the moment. The Harrier have such capability but better let them test and learn at this stage.

Ones the F-18 become a module for the public the Air defenses in DCS must become more capable close to a real unit.

See in youtube the F-16 downed in Serbia for more details

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow, didn't know Kub also has optical tracking mode :) What do you mean by full simulated SEAD module?

Lol please. Specify which part. In CA module I CAN disable radar, and enemy Kh-25MPU WILL lose track... So DCS 1.5 working fine already...

Lol please. Specify which part. In CA module I CAN disable radar, and enemy Kh-25MPU WILL lose track... So DCS 1.5 working fine already...

In current DCS You can only turning off all the radar system including tracking radar.

Tracking radar only is what you can see in the Serbian video. Tracking radar is much more faster to become combat ready than searching radar. When you use tracking radar with a tactical information of the enemy position you can ambush the enemy easier, also the tracking radar signal is harder to detect by surrounded RWR because is not a 360 signal. Also several launcher unit can be set with the same frequency to play a defensive tactic turning off and on the tracking radar to evade incoming missiles.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Whoa, I watched the documentary (

) and are MOST surprised that even with lost hydraulic, the helicopter is able to still fly under control?? O_O

Not that much, why you asking? You a forum moderator for this sub forum? We were just asking about the radar mechanic related to the film, then I saw the hydraulic thing which also is related to DCS.