Normandy Colour Palette Oversaturated

twistking

Hello,

now with the work on Normandy continuing, i am planning to buy the map at some point.

However from the videos i saw, i got the impression that the colours are a bit too bright and oversaturated compared to other maps.

Maybe this is something that could be looked into when reworking the textures?

I don't even dislike the "look" per se, but it does not match well with the art style of the modules/assets and the only professional way to archieve a certain "look" - if so desired - would be to have a color correction applied to the whole scene in post processing instead of having the "look" baked into the textures.

I'm really looking forward to the update!

Agreed. Funnily enough, with the DCS Fw-190 A announcement trailer, they managed somehow to make the Normandy map look far better (desaturated during post processing, I know), and when I first saw the video I thought that's exactly how the Normandy map should look like...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I find it odd that it was pointed out the update will be free. It's not adding new area, it's a whole lot of much much needed optimizing, of course it should be free!

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is a good vid showing what Normandy looks like. Yeah, it is a bit high contrast, but it gives good reference for fields, patterns of vegetation, and the colours. I big thing that needs sorting for Normandy is the trees, that are now as bright or brighter than the surrounding grass fields. I wish UM the best of luck with their work. I wish it had come a long time ago, but that they turned around is still a hell of a lot better than nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_3ObdP0IfY

Here is a good vid showing what Normandy looks like. Yeah, it is a bit high contrast, but it gives good reference for fields, patterns of vegetation, and the colours. I big thing that needs sorting for Normandy is the trees, that are now as bright or brighter than the surrounding grass fields. I wish UM the best of luck with their work. I wish it had come a long time ago, but that they turned around is still a hell of a lot better than nothing.

The video is with a cloud layer.

This one has a bit more variety

Best regards

The video is with a cloud layer.

This one has a bit more variety

The first video is way more realistic. The second one looks like a hollywood movie.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

• 3 weeks later...
The first video is way more realistic. The second one looks like a hollywood movie.

And setting the weather to cloudy doesn't fix that?

Apparently it's not just videos - even just searching for "Normandy Sunny Day" brings up the same material. When I step out during summer the same happens before my eyes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=normandy+sunny+day&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4zOiam6zjAhUS-6QKHSTFAfwQ_AUIECgB&biw=2519&bih=1289&dpr=1.5

Could it be relevant to a mild color blindness for some and resulting in a color palette shift that appears different and very unnatural? I once saw a video simulating it and it was an eye opener to me as about every 12th male (8%) suffers from it. https://nei.nih.gov/health/color_blindness/facts_about

Best regards

I have some variation of color blindness, can confirm how things look to one person can be different from another :p Apparently there were numbers and stuff in amongst all those dots, everybody but me could see them :p

Also, DON'T FORGET YOUR GAMMA. I play with about 1.4 gamma. My dad plays with 2.5 or so and it looks like crap.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 6 months later...

We very welcome the SpeedTrees but... it still needs a lot of work.. to be on the same level as the other maps in terms of performance/looks. But I don't know if UM will ever update it in the future..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5