40FPS with Rift S - Is this normal?

spacefox

Hi,

Just wanted to confirm that is this normal with Rift S - I am getting 40fps in VR. I even tried AWS off via occulus tray tool - still the same 40fps.

Without VR, just on 2560x1600 windowed mode - I am getting like 110-115 fps. My settings are low for right now - just textures to high and cockpit textures set at 1024.

I am on the stable build of DCS.

Thanks

Specs: i7-5820K - 4.4 Ghz OC, 64GB Ram, RTX 2070 Super, Rift S

Frames have been locked at 40 (or 45) for a few weeks now regardless of ASW settings , at least for Oculus headsets , unless you have the horsepower to hold 80 (or 90) . IMO , you are doing very well to hold 40 with a 980 , so gradually increase the eye -candy settings and enjoy !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 3 weeks later...

I see 80 in the menu and 40 in game with ASW off which usually drops to 27 during heavy missions. I'm running 1.5 PD and 2x MSAA and it's usable.

ASUS TUF GAMING X670E with AMD RYZEN 5 7600X, 64GB DDR4, ASUS TUF GAMING 4080

Pico 4, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Formally Known As: wpnssgt (google it :smilewink: )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Any way to overcome the 40fps in game limit? Still limited to 40fps on my Oculus S.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Lower your game settings (including objects in the world) so trade FPS for eye-candy?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Any way to overcome the 40fps in game limit? Still limited to 40fps on my Oculus S.

I did a bit of experimenting with this. I always ran ASW on and locked at 40 and it was fine, that was running PD at 1.5 and MSAA x2. But, I was getting the dreaded ghost effect. If I turned ASW off the frames fluctuated between 65 & 70 but it was really juddery. The only way I could run with ASW off and it be smooth I literally had to turn the PD down to 1.1 and lower other settings. Weird. So I’ve now settled on PD 1.3 and switched ASW to auto and it mostly runs at 80fps unless low down with heavy scenery where it switches to ASW on and 40FPS.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Lower your game settings (including objects in the world) so trade FPS for eye-candy?

I am already lowered. To be honest, before 2.55 it was better. I had higher settings with more frames.

My PD is 1.3

ASW is off

My settings are attached ;)

options.txt

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

really, I play on a pimped system , I dont go above 40 fps in the RiftS, unless I look at the sky. there is no hardware that gets you above that. But why would you? For me, the 40 fps is super smooth, I dont think you will enjoy the game any more if you start lowering your settings. Go to multiplayer on big missions, there the fps will decline no matter your settings anyway. As long as I can look around and dont feel notcieable lag, I stopped chasing this fps counter

really, I play on a pimped system , I dont go above 40 fps in the RiftS, unless I look at the sky. there is no hardware that gets you above that. But why would you? For me, the 40 fps is super smooth, I dont think you will enjoy the game any more if you start lowering your settings. Go to multiplayer on big missions, there the fps will decline no matter your settings anyway. As long as I can look around and dont feel notcieable lag, I stopped chasing this fps counter

:thumbup:

Yep that is the key to happiness in VR!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Also stuck at 40 fps on a 2080 super and 5ghz 7700k.

Got curious and dropped the PD down to .5, impossible to see anything with any clarity, and still stuck at 40fps. Made a bunch of graphics changes, still stuck at 40 fps. I wouldn't mind it, except it's very jittery when I look around and sometimes it doesn't even load for a few seconds so I'll be just looking at a black screen until it renders. Rift S.

No idea what is going on or how to fix it. PC Specs-wise, I should be killing the game.

Got curious and dropped the PD down to .5, impossible to see anything with any clarity, and still stuck at 40fps. Made a bunch of graphics changes, still stuck at 40 fps. I wouldn't mind it, except it's very jittery when I look around and sometimes it doesn't even load for a few seconds so I'll be just looking at a black screen until it renders. Rift S.

No idea what is going on or how to fix it. PC Specs-wise, I should be killing the game.

That is quite odd.

Are you running any mods?

Have you tried a repair of DCS?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Same here. No matter what you do, always stuck in 40 fps. PD 1.5.

My specs:

Intel i7-9700K, 32 GB Ram, RTX 2080, SSD Samsung 750 Gb, Rift S, HOTAS warthog.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting 80fps average and 40fps minimum now......NZXT seems to drop 10fps on the average, the big numbers are in non VR mode, both stats are using the same graphics options in game, pretty high TBH.

1944708873_Annotation2019-11-27224025.jpg.bad82157ea25434ca2b67d82ee3bdf9f.jpg

Edited by Phantom_Mark

One thing I do notice, having played a little more on this new setup, it seems to drop into defacto 40fps the closer you fly to the ground, even if the on screen action doesn't always seem to justify the halving of the frame rate, in Dubia I expected it, seems suspicious there is an insta cut to 40 from 80 with little inbetween tho ?

One thing I do notice, having played a little more on this new setup, it seems to drop into defacto 40fps the closer you fly to the ground, even if the on screen action doesn't always seem to justify the halving of the frame rate, in Dubia I expected it, seems suspicious there is an insta cut to 40 from 80 with little inbetween tho ?

That is ASW. With it enabled it will run either 80 or 40.

The Rift S though will interpolate (predict) every other frame to give an end result of the 80 Hz.

Don B

That makes complete sense, thanks for the explanation :thumbup:

You are most welcome, have fun!!

Don B