Viper academic videos

JamesRothwell

The taxi, takeoff, and steerpoint nav video will be "soon". We just needed to add and adjust a few items before I can create the video. In many ways, these videos are a good tool for us to review and debug the product!

After this video will be an VFR overhead break landing video.

Thanks

Looking forward to this whenever it's ready, the waiting isn't too bad once we know what's in the pipeline and kept informed with your updates.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The taxi, takeoff, and steerpoint nav video will be "soon". We just needed to add and adjust a few items before I can create the video. In many ways, these videos are a good tool for us to review and debug the product!

After this video will be an VFR overhead break landing video.

Thanks

What about startup/coldstart?

• ED Team
What about startup/coldstart?

It will come, the team needs to tweak some features before Wags can record a cold start video.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Wouldn't it make sense to open a new thread called "Viper Mini-Updates" where Wags can post his academic videos only? Just like the "Hornet Mini-Updates". It's quite time-consuming to find his videos hidden among the other posts in this thread. :huh:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Wouldn't it make sense to open a new thread called "Viper Mini-Updates" where Wags can post his academic videos only? Just like the "Hornet Mini-Updates". It's quite time-consuming to find his videos hidden among the other posts in this thread. :huh:

You mean like this one? https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244404 ^^

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

Thank you Wags! The viper just looks amazing!

Intel i7 9700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E, Zotac GTX 2080 TI AMP, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, Corsair H60 liquid cooler, EVGA 850W PS, Cooler Master: Master Case H500, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD | Virpil CM2 Throttle, F-16: Thrustmaster F-16/A-10 Stick, F-18: Thrustmaster F-18 Stick | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | G2 Reverb, J-PEIN Desk mount Throttle, VIRPIL VP-L mount Stick, Cougar MFDs, Generic Custom Built Front Panel, Left Panel and Right Panel, 32 Button Steam Deck.

You made that circuit to land look far easier than I am sure it actually is - nice job. Thanks for the vid!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You made that circuit to land look far easier than I am sure it actually is - nice job. Thanks for the vid!

I sure wish I could land them as well as Wags can. So smooth and perfect. I swear he's got to be cheating somehow! :pilotfly:

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

Interesting, I assumed you'd need to be 'on-speed' with the bracket on final. Nice video.

http://www.185th.co.uk/files/Training/Assessment/F-16_Landing_Tutorial.pdf

Two distinct techniques may be used when landing. One technique is to trim for approximately 11 degrees AOA and to fly that airspeed throughout the

final approach. Attitude/glidepath is controlled by the stick, and airspeed/AOA is controlled by the throttle. This technique allows better pitch control,

better over-the-nose visibility, and a more stable HUD presentation. In gusty wind conditions, the aircraft wallows less, and during the flare, the sink rate

is easier to control. The aircraft will float approximately 800-1200 feet from flare initiation to touchdown. Another technique is to trim for 13 degrees

AOA and to fly that airspeed throughout the final approach. The throttle is used primarily to control glidepath, and the stick controls airspeed through

control of AOA and direction through bank angle. This type of approach primarily allows better control of touchdown point and more efficient energy

dissipation; however, since the aircraft is already at 13 degrees AOA, the flare is more difficult, and care must be exercised to avoid scraping the

speedbrakes or landing firm. The aircraft will float approximately 500-700 feet from flare initiation to touchdown.

You might have noticed that I never talked about the AOA light to the side of the HUD. F-16 pilots rarely look at it. Don't worry about the fact

that the AOA light shows you fast (low AOA while on approach. That is normal. All that is important is that you are in the "green" at the

point where your tires touch the ground. The transition to "green" usually occurs during the flare. As far as airspeed is concerned, it is

generally only referenced during landing if there is a HUD failure or under certain AOA malfunctions.

It is highly recommended that you do not let your AOA while on approach increase beyond 11-12 degrees (unless you are doing short field

approaches). During the flare, the F4.0 program has a habit of allowing the pilot to increase beyond 13 degrees AOA much quicker than in the

real aircraft. For this reason, it is better to err on the safe side and keep the AOA at 11 units. You should figure out an approach to flaring that

will get you to 13 degrees AOA at the moment of touchdown. Be careful with the flare though. Since you are only transitioning from 11 to 13

degrees, it can hardly be called a flare. Don't overdo it.

Q1 landings should occur between 300 feet of the runway threshold and 1000 feet down. If you land beyond 1000 feet of the threshold you

should not pat yourself on the back. Keep practicing until you can land consistently in the Q1 area. Once you get good at landing it will be

possible to set down on the runway touchdown markers quite often.

Straight-in approaches are generally only flown in the real aircraft when weather is bad, when approaches are being practiced, under certain

emergencies, or while heavily weighed. Try doing overhead approaches. Try turning off of base and onto final while only a mile or two from the

runway threshold. This obviously requires more skill that a straight-in approach but it duplicates real F-16 landings to a higher degree. These

approaches can be difficult due to view restrictions imposed by your computer but they are certainly doable.

CONCERNING ILS APPROACHES: While an F-16 visual approach should have you landing 300-1000 feet down the runway, an ILS

approach will have you landing farther down. This is normal though. Accept the longer touchdown. Most pilots, if they break out of bad

weather early, will intercept the 2.5 degree glideslope and land visually. They will generally switch off the ILS to remove clutter from the HUD.

The following is taken from the military FLYING OPERATIONS: PILOT OPERATIONAL PROCEDURES - F-16. While this specific

information does not have much practical value for helping you land the F-16, it does allow you to understand a little bit about real F-16 landing

procedure:

Approaches and Landings.

The desired touchdown point for a VFR approach is 500 feet from the threshold, or the glidepath interception point for a precision approach. When local

procedures or unique runway surface conditions require landing beyond a given point on the runway, the desired touchdown point will be ad usted

accordingly.

Final approach will normally be flown at 11 degrees AOA. Touchdown spacing behind an aircraft while flying a 13 degree approach will be a minimum

of 6,000 feet due to susceptibility of the aircraft to wake turbulence and speedbrake tail scrapes. Minimum pattern and touchdown spacing between

landing aircraft is 3,000 feet for similar aircraft (e.g. F-16 versus F-16), 6,000 feet for dissimilar aircraft (e.g. F-16 versus F-15 or as directed by

MAJCOM or the landing base, whichever is higher. When wake turbulence is expected due to calm winds or when landing with a light tail wind, spacing

should be increased.

To avoid possible speedbrake or nozzle damage, touch down either past a raised approach-end cable, or 500 feet prior to the cable. With centerline stores,

touchdown will normally be past an approach-end cable. Circumstances that may dictate landing prior to the cable include runway length, wind, runway

condition (wet or icy , gross weight, or an aircraft malfunction where full normal braking may not be available. Single-ship or formation landings with

centerline stores may be made across BAK-12 arrestment cables which have been modified with an 8-point tiedown system.

DCS A-10C II Warthog, DCS AV-8B, DCS F/A-18C. DCS F-16C DCS KA-50 III, DCS F-14B. DCS AH-64 Apache. DCS Mirage F1. DCS F-15E.
System: Z690 - i9-12900k - RTX 3080ti - 32gb ram - 2tb NVME - 2x2tb HDD - TM Hotas Warthog - MFG Rudders - Trackir/VR

• ED Team
I sure wish I could land them as well as Wags can. So smooth and perfect. I swear he's got to be cheating somehow! :pilotfly:

No, I just made several landings and used my best one. Even then, it was rather sloppy:

1- Not holding G and altitude constant in the pitch out.

2- Was under G in the pitch out, and this led to me floating out and being offset too far from the runway in the downwind.

As you'll see, it takes practice and have to break Hornet landing habits.

Here are some real world reference videos:

Edited by Wags

I’m gonna have to actively remember to flare. Can’t just slam into the ground, like hornet. :D

Just be grateful we're not getting the Block 30. Landing gear and brakes on the 40's and 50's is way more robust compared to previous blocks. That being said, coming in with the nose up kinda like the Mirage (not quite as aggressively on AOA) you should be fine assuming you're on speed.

System: Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo / Ryzen 5900X / 128gb Trident Z 3600mHz / ASUS TUF X570 / Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO / Asus Tuf RTX 3080ti / Asus Rog 1000w PSU / TM Warthog + TM Pedals

Modules/Terrains: All but the Mig-19, MB-339, P-47, I-16, CE II, and Yak-52

IRL: USAF F-16C AGR Crew Chief / Private Pilot

http://www.185th.co.uk/files/Training/Assessment/F-16_Landing_Tutorial.pdf

Two distinct techniques may be used when landing. One technique is to trim for approximately 11 degrees AOA and to fly that airspeed throughout the

final approach. Attitude/glidepath is controlled by the stick, and airspeed/AOA is controlled by the throttle. This technique allows better pitch control,

better over-the-nose visibility, and a more stable HUD presentation. In gusty wind conditions, the aircraft wallows less, and during the flare, the sink rate

is easier to control. The aircraft will float approximately 800-1200 feet from flare initiation to touchdown. Another technique is to trim for 13 degrees

AOA and to fly that airspeed throughout the final approach. The throttle is used primarily to control glidepath, and the stick controls airspeed through

control of AOA and direction through bank angle. This type of approach primarily allows better control of touchdown point and more efficient energy

dissipation; however, since the aircraft is already at 13 degrees AOA, the flare is more difficult, and care must be exercised to avoid scraping the

speedbrakes or landing firm. The aircraft will float approximately 500-700 feet from flare initiation to touchdown.

You might have noticed that I never talked about the AOA light to the side of the HUD. F-16 pilots rarely look at it. Don't worry about the fact

that the AOA light shows you fast (low AOA while on approach. That is normal. All that is important is that you are in the "green" at the

point where your tires touch the ground. The transition to "green" usually occurs during the flare. As far as airspeed is concerned, it is

generally only referenced during landing if there is a HUD failure or under certain AOA malfunctions.

It is highly recommended that you do not let your AOA while on approach increase beyond 11-12 degrees (unless you are doing short field

approaches). During the flare, the F4.0 program has a habit of allowing the pilot to increase beyond 13 degrees AOA much quicker than in the

real aircraft. For this reason, it is better to err on the safe side and keep the AOA at 11 units. You should figure out an approach to flaring that

will get you to 13 degrees AOA at the moment of touchdown. Be careful with the flare though. Since you are only transitioning from 11 to 13

degrees, it can hardly be called a flare. Don't overdo it.

Q1 landings should occur between 300 feet of the runway threshold and 1000 feet down. If you land beyond 1000 feet of the threshold you

should not pat yourself on the back. Keep practicing until you can land consistently in the Q1 area. Once you get good at landing it will be

possible to set down on the runway touchdown markers quite often.

Straight-in approaches are generally only flown in the real aircraft when weather is bad, when approaches are being practiced, under certain

emergencies, or while heavily weighed. Try doing overhead approaches. Try turning off of base and onto final while only a mile or two from the

runway threshold. This obviously requires more skill that a straight-in approach but it duplicates real F-16 landings to a higher degree. These

approaches can be difficult due to view restrictions imposed by your computer but they are certainly doable.

CONCERNING ILS APPROACHES: While an F-16 visual approach should have you landing 300-1000 feet down the runway, an ILS

approach will have you landing farther down. This is normal though. Accept the longer touchdown. Most pilots, if they break out of bad

weather early, will intercept the 2.5 degree glideslope and land visually. They will generally switch off the ILS to remove clutter from the HUD.

The following is taken from the military FLYING OPERATIONS: PILOT OPERATIONAL PROCEDURES - F-16. While this specific

information does not have much practical value for helping you land the F-16, it does allow you to understand a little bit about real F-16 landing

procedure:

Approaches and Landings.

The desired touchdown point for a VFR approach is 500 feet from the threshold, or the glidepath interception point for a precision approach. When local

procedures or unique runway surface conditions require landing beyond a given point on the runway, the desired touchdown point will be ad usted

accordingly.

Final approach will normally be flown at 11 degrees AOA. Touchdown spacing behind an aircraft while flying a 13 degree approach will be a minimum

of 6,000 feet due to susceptibility of the aircraft to wake turbulence and speedbrake tail scrapes. Minimum pattern and touchdown spacing between

landing aircraft is 3,000 feet for similar aircraft (e.g. F-16 versus F-16), 6,000 feet for dissimilar aircraft (e.g. F-16 versus F-15 or as directed by

MAJCOM or the landing base, whichever is higher. When wake turbulence is expected due to calm winds or when landing with a light tail wind, spacing

should be increased.

To avoid possible speedbrake or nozzle damage, touch down either past a raised approach-end cable, or 500 feet prior to the cable. With centerline stores,

touchdown will normally be past an approach-end cable. Circumstances that may dictate landing prior to the cable include runway length, wind, runway

condition (wet or icy , gross weight, or an aircraft malfunction where full normal braking may not be available. Single-ship or formation landings with

centerline stores may be made across BAK-12 arrestment cables which have been modified with an 8-point tiedown system.

nice one