Advice on how to control the A/C just after take off

Hi guys...

I have flown the Mustang a lot and have actual time in Tiger Moths but I am struggling like mad with the Spit... It just seems so sensitive after take off?

I can get up in the air (not quite as well as the Mustang) but I'm in the air and it is almost as if the aircraft has a mind of its own! Once established in the air, it flies beautifully... Still a bit sensitive but not too bad...

I have tried curves (I have a 10cm in my TMWH) but nothing seems to help with the 30 seconds or so after take off? The Mustang is quite sedate in comparison.

I want to enjoy the Spit as much as I can before the Jug (my favourite) comes along!

Btw, given then have a very similar engine, if not identical (Rolls-Royce Vs Packard) I also think the Spit has superior sounds to the Mustang? Especially when on the ground!

Any advice would be most appreciated! I have tried several ways of taking off (trims etc) and nothing seems to help too much!

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sounds like you might be rushing her into the air. Do you pick the tail up (push on stick, or trim it to do so) on the rollout? Doing this will let it get more speed on the ground to about 120-140. From there you can relax on the push just a bit and she will fly when she is ready and should feel considerably more stable because of it. Also, do not use flaps IF you have been.

If she still wants to pick the nose up, do not let her, keep it down (and use more nose down trim next time) and the climb slight till the airspeed picks up more.

Sounds like you might be rushing her into the air. Do you pick the tail up (push on stick, or trim it to do so) on the rollout? Doing this will let it get more speed on the ground to about 120-140. From there you can relax on the push just a bit and she will fly when she is ready and should feel considerably more stable because of it. Also, do not use flaps IF you have been.

If she still wants to pick the nose up, do not let her, keep it down (and use more nose down trim next time) and the climb slight till the airspeed picks up more.

Cheers for the reply... I start with stick back and then come to neutral and allow the tail to come up and then she wants to lift off herself... Once airborne she gets all kind of skewhiff and takes massively to the right... I have tried less right rudder trim but it doesn't help too much... As a result she also wants to drop the right wing and u just feel like I'm playing catch up all the time.

With the Mustang, I can keep her fairly straight and once in the air, keep her straight too.

I want to love this module as the sounds are great and once in the air i think it's great... Still quite light on the controls though (it seems not a lot of input is needed in comparison to the Mustang?)

Thanks!

The rudder trim gets very effective with increasing speed really fast. You have to use left rudder to counteract this or just trim the rudder back quite quickly. And giving her a little right aileron doesn't hurt either. At least that's my experience.

And yes, you need very little input on the controls. You can actually rip the wings off, if you pull to quick too hard on the stick.

So, letting the speed build to 120-140 before lift off has helped a lot... I have had to trim nose down a little though as 1 notch up tends to have her lifting off before I'm ready...

How much rudder trim should I use?

So, letting the speed build to 120-140 before lift off has helped a lot... I have had to trim nose down a little though as 1 notch up tends to have her lifting off before I'm ready...

I think this is your problem exactly. You shouldn't be lifting off until 120. And the trim should be 2 notches down which helps keep those beautiful big wings from getting too carried away too early. I know some people don't follow that exactly, but that's what I've always done and find it works nicely.

I'd highly recommend doing training missions as it covers this.

I think this is your problem exactly. You shouldn't be lifting off until 120. And the trim should be 2 notches down which helps keep those beautiful big wings from getting too carried away too early. I know some people don't follow that exactly, but that's what I've always done and find it works nicely.

I'd highly recommend doing training missions as it covers this.

Thanks I did the training mission a while back and I'm sure it said to trim 1 notch up?! Will try your tactic as I have seen an improvement already

Thanks chaps!

Thanks I did the training mission a while back and I'm sure it said to trim 1 notch up?! Will try your tactic as I have seen an improvement already

Thanks chaps!

Hey sorry, I just realised I made a very important typo. It is 1 notch down not 2. Good luck!

Honestly setting the trim to -1 seems a bit extreme. I set mine to +0.5. It's a personal preference though, so cheers

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

I believe that neutral position for the elevator trim is two notches up on the indicator (can anyone confirm this?) so one notch nose down would be on notch above the center marking on the indicator. That's where I trim the elevator to for take off and that works fine for me.

I trim the rudder full right but I've heard from others that they use less right rudder trim.

By default, upon spawning in, the elevator trim is set for landing, actually, at +2. Takeoff setting is full right rudder, and elevator trim at neutral (middle of indicator), or slightly higher.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

I have bad habits, in that I dont or at least rarely pre-trim the aircraft, and fly it with my own inputs on take off. This is bad, but it does let me feel more directly what the aircraft is trying to do so I put in the corresponding inputs to correct the situation. Then I trim it out once in the air. It works for me and have no trouble taking off or landing any of the WWII aircraft (to include 2 wheel landings in ANY of them without bouncing).

Applying proper trim from the get go minimizes the need for more extreme inputs for sure.

i set trim slight lower then +1(thickens of the needle on elevator trim gage) than i dont need to use elevator for tail lift so only rudder and a little bit right ailerons.

spawn elevator trim looks like trim for landing but as every good pilot always set t/o trim again after landing you dont want to take off with landing trim or landing flaps set by accident :) its just for safety after landing configure plane for take off :) just a good habit if you fly by check lists than do as check list says but if you fly by memory then yes t/o configuration right after landing :)

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor