Santa's Helper for the Mi-8

Datek

picture.php?albumid=1304&pictureid=8519

It's Christmas Eve and Santa's sleigh has been shot down by a Grinch squad surface to air missile north of Anapa. His cargo was Christmas presents for all the Russian airbases in the area. Santa has been medevaced and a snow storm is moving in, but those presents still need to be delivered. A single player heavy transport mission (internal not sling-load) in a combat environment during adverse weather conditions, with a Christmas theme. Navigate using the ARC-UD and ARC-9 radios, refuel enroute, have your door gunner at the ready, and save Christmas!

Your Mission: Pick up the presents (3000 kg internal cargo) from the crash site, and deliver them to Krymsk, Krasnodar, and Maykop airbases. Grinch squad is active in the area. You have 2 gun pods attached in case you want to shoot something, but it's not required. Your allies will take care of the bad guys at each encounter eventually. You will be landing at 2 different airfields enroute so you can rearm then if you need too. The best part is, you get a cookie at the end.

Fully voiced. Jazzy Christmas tunes included, and a little humor. Total mission time approx 2 hours (or longer if you decide to go see the King at mission end). *Installation instructions: Download and place the file in C:/users/(username)/Saved Games/DCS/Missions

Mission Download: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2221202/

Helpful YouTube tutorials:

Mi8 Radio Naviagation by Deephack:

Use of the Mi-8's Doppler system and ARC-9 / ARC-US ADF radios by SocketSeven:

picture.php?albumid=1304&pictureid=8521

picture.php?albumid=1304&pictureid=8522

picture.php?albumid=1304&pictureid=8524

Edited by Datek
Formatting and grammar.

Datek, here's another solution. Try changing GROUP DEAD to GROUP ALIVE LESS THAN and set it at 1%. This works for AI groups (not tested yet for player and client) and it can easily be noticed in your triggers and changed back to GROUP DEAD once this is fixed. :xmas:

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Datek, here's another solution. Try changing GROUP DEAD to GROUP ALIVE LESS THAN and set it at 1%. This works for AI groups (not tested yet for player and client) and it can easily be noticed in your triggers and changed back to GROUP DEAD once this is fixed. :xmas:

Thanks Winston. In this case its only one air unit, so unit dead should do the trick. That's good to know for future reference in case things break again.

• 11 months later...
cool. I'll fly this again this year. It's a great fun mission.

Thanks Datek :D

SD

It's a holiday tradition to help out Santa. If you find doing it again boring, you can always go visit the king. He says he's having a blue Christmas without you. Find his song on the radio and it will lead you right to him.

• 2 months later...

heya, love this mission. and since its snowing where i am in march, i thought i'd try this again later on. but wanted to ask if it works with 2.5?

i'd try it out myself but i can't currently.

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

heya, love this mission. and since its snowing where i am in march, i thought i'd try this again later on. but wanted to ask if it works with 2.5?

i'd try it out myself but i can't currently.

It should, but I haven't installed 2.5 yet. Waiting for it to get sorted out a bit more. If it doesn't work, open it in the mission editor and save it. That should work to update any older mission to the current version. Let us know how it goes if you fly it!

• 1 year later...

This mission is hilarious. I love it :)

My radio signals did not seem to activate until I had been flying for a minute or so, which meant I spent fifteen minutes on the ground fiddling with the radio thinking I had done something wrong. Is that how the mission is supposed to work, or should I be able to tune the beacons & music while I'm still at the airport?

This mission is hilarious. I love it :)

My radio signals did not seem to activate until I had been flying for a minute or so, which meant I spent fifteen minutes on the ground fiddling with the radio thinking I had done something wrong. Is that how the mission is supposed to work, or should I be able to tune the beacons & music while I'm still at the airport?

I'm glad you enjoyed the mission! The radios used to work immediately but DCS is constantly changing and things don't always work as they should. Opening a mission in the editor and then saving it sort of updates it to the current DCS version so that can sometimes fix things.

I'm glad you enjoyed the mission! The radios used to work immediately but DCS is constantly changing and things don't always work as they should. Opening a mission in the editor and then saving it sort of updates it to the current DCS version so that can sometimes fix things.

Awesome :) This whole mission is a treat. It convinced me to learn how to use the navigation radios for the first time (nothing else has). I would love to see more charming content from DCS like this! Great job :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...