Precision landing practice. A single player mission.

So I just finished up building my first mission ever, and decided to share it with you all because it ended up being fun and challenging.

You start at a FARP outside Sochi, and are tasked with flying to and landing on an offshore oil rig. After taking on cargo on the oil rig, you proceed north into Sochi, and land on a high rise to pick up some soldiers. You will have to land on the tallest part of the building. Be careful not to crush the soldiers. After landing without killing anyone, land on the deck of the Oliver Hazzard Perry to offload your cargo and the soldiers. Then fly back to the FARP to complete the mission.

In order to keep things interesting, It takes place at dawn on a stormy day. There is a 5 knot wind and some turbulence. Because you will be either very lightly loaded, or very heavily loaded, you will find handling dramatically different between landings. It's tricky, but not impossible!

This mission gives text prompts to tell you what to do, flares and smoke markers to mark landing areas, and failure/victory conditions. The helicopter doors and windows also open and close. :joystick:

If you have suggestions, comments, or bugs, please tell me! :helpsmilie:

Bk2sB1h.jpg

DS66QPW.jpg

GJTACpF.jpg

B8NaEIj.jpg

3F3bBKE.jpg

HzWIKGo.jpg

Download from dropbox here!

Download from ED's website here!

Edited by Socket7
  • Like 1

Practice makes perfect.

I am intrigued I made several missions attempting to evacuate units from roof tops and failed. Will try to play this in the next couple of days. Thank you :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you for this, Ive been looking for an interesting scenario to practice landings with the Mi-8. Very cool :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Great to see good variation of weather.

I look forward to playing it on Friday.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I am intrigued I made several missions attempting to evacuate units from roof tops and failed. Will try to play this in the next couple of days. Thank you :)

Well, with troop transport currently broken, it's actually just a trick to simulate it. :)

When you meet the landing conditions the group of soldiers are de-activated, and weight is added to the helicopter, simulating them getting on. If the mission was transporting them to another building, I could have another group of soldiers hidden at the landing point. When the trigger condition is met, the soldiers are activated, and the weight is removed from the copter. The ship landing made it to hard to try making the soldiers appear again.

I got the idea from a guy called Belgeode on youtube.

Practice makes perfect.

Squishing soldiers will reflect negatively on your performance review!

At least, I set a trigger for that, after accidently squishing one myself without any consequences. Never did accidently hit another to test it... :music_whistling:

I'm currently working up another mission, doing search and rescue in a snowstorm with the ARK-UD, the ARK-9, and Doppler navigation. It's windier, more turbulent, visibility is lower, and if you take to long, you just might get shot at. No rocking boats this time though!

After I finish with that mission, I'll have to sit around a while learning some mission scripting. I've done everything straight through the mission editor so far, and I've found some rather annoying limitations. I want to add time based scoring to both missions, and while I can set up triggers to keep track of the score in a flag, I can't push that value to somewhere the player can see it.

Thank all of you for the kind words. It's much easier to spend hours making these things when you know that other people enjoy them too. :D

Practice makes perfect.

I completed the mission first time with not too much difficulty although the turbulence about the boat seemed stronger for some reason. Thanks for the mission:thumbup:

Good luck with your next one

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am truly inspired by your flying skills without the pitch and roll stability autopilot channel Bel. That one is supposed to say on! I usually fly without the altitude, or yaw channel, but end up quickly heading to the scene of the crash without pitch and roll! :D

Another helpful tip would be using the doppler hover meter just above the vertical velocity indicator. It's vertical velocity meter responds much faster than the normal VVI

As for the Roman candle style flares, they should not cause too much performance loss, only one is fired every 20 seconds. I had some SERIOUS FPS loss though when I accidently set a trigger to fire a new can of smoke off every single second with the continuous trigger. :)

What I've found hardest about landing on the Perry is that it rocks back and forth. You end up target focusing on it, and trying to rock back and forth in time with it. Then your whole copter starts rocking back and forth and everything goes downhill fast.

Edited by Socket7

Practice makes perfect.

LOL I agree on landing on the Perry. I knew it was rocking and I was trying NOT to focus on that as much, but obviously I got caught up in it. It was most noticeable once I had finally landed on it.

I tried flying with that pitch and roll stability on, but it wobbles way too much for me. It feels much more natural with it off. I seem to have a smoother hand when it is turned off, so I just got into that habit.

I did not know that about the doppler hover meter. I knew it did SOMETHING, just not quite what. I will have to pay more attention to it when I fly your snow mission.

And yes, my very first Mi-8 mission "Saving Boris & Ivan", I made that same mistake with setting off smoke markers on continuous trigger.... let's just say the lag was REAL.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YouTube ~ Twitch

Nice mission, love the weather. The mission was finished too quickly.

Now the snow mission..

Now then... the ARK UD... um. lets open the manual.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I actually made up a small tutorial mission for the ARC-UD (Is it ark? arc? I think its ARC)

Let me know if it helps, and what's missing. I'm not sure I did a great job at explaining everything.

If you can use the ARC-9 to find an NDB, you're most of the way to using the ARC-UD.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmcquppis239lov/landing%20practice%20V1.miz?dl=0

Practice makes perfect.