Excessive HUD and Instruments glare?

Breakshot

Ok, just tested with the Mod patch above.

It is marginally better, but as you can see the effect is still overwhelming. Also the HUD filter is not working at all... :helpsmilie:

You have to test with the sun behind you to see the effect.

Screen_170517_155701.thumb.jpg.4d27b54cddb530e495067f3b82b038bf.jpg

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

It's a shader issue.

Sometimes the glass materials are broken during updates and some planes are affected although they were not touched.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

It's a shader issue.

Sometimes the glass materials are broken during updates and some planes are affected although they were not touched.

Yes indeed. But removing that opacity layer should help resolve the issue. This effect is very poorly represented in DCS, best just to get rid of it completely...

Sent on mobile Android via Tapatalk

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

I said that because the texture mod alone can't solve the problem.

Tuning it back to realistic values would be better than removing it completely. This specular shader is necessary and essential since the late '90s

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

I said that because the texture mod alone can't solve the problem.

Tuning it back to realistic values would be better than removing it completely. This specular shader is necessary and essential since the late '90s

Well... the flanker was fine till last friday... Since the late 90s :lol:

There has got to be a way to make this flyable...

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Ok, just tested with the Mod patch above.

It is marginally better, but as you can see the effect is still overwhelming. Also the HUD filter is not working at all... :helpsmilie:

You have to test with the sun behind you to see the effect.

I did test with the sun behind me. My reflections don't seem nearly as bad as yours for some reason.

I modified another dds in the texture zip for glass transparency. It may have helped with the HUD glare/reflections. Check the screenshots out.

New .zip is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/swr1twaf5cp0vx6/SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip?dl=0

Sun location:

GKVfOar.jpg

Cockpit view

DHaHJtgr.jpg

Sun location:

7KoNNCG.jpg

Cockpit view:

xEr2Rtl.jpg

Let me know if that works better for you.

Edited by SinusoidDelta

Which one of the files controls the HUD filter? I see that your mod removes the dark shade of the filter... So when you raise it, nothing happens apart from a blank glass texture coming up... Everything else looks better, apart from HUD still going blank when flying inverted with the sun behind you, but thats something that raising the HUD filter should fix once it works correctly...

Edited by Breakshot

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

You can see the overall effect is better, apart from HUD when inverted.

Note also the screenshots with HUD filter on, vs Off. When its on, it causes complete blurring of HUD like looking through fog... :megalol:

Is it possible to just remove the glow effect entirely and have it as it was pre-patch?

Screen_170518_164611.thumb.jpg.9dfdfac1c6de4601f183a56d2ee8de72.jpg

Screen_170518_164654.thumb.jpg.79ff12f9d06290d3167349f75a7ac688.jpg

Screen_170518_164707.thumb.jpg.7992c31e48f97598bde2b05dcdb858c1.jpg

Screen_170518_164705.thumb.jpg.075529f0478fafcaa8a79b386b91ee9a.jpg

Edited by Breakshot

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Try this one, thesu27_cpt_glass_spec.dds. Just drag and drop the dds file onto the SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.ZIP

The three color channels control separate things.

R is specular intensity. 255 highest

G I think is specular power. The size of the 'hot spot'. 0 being largest. Didnt change it

B is reflectivity. 255 is full reflection.

It was using 247, 12, 247. I reduced to 64, 12, 128

su27_cpt_glass_spec.rar

• Like 3

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Nice, thanks for the tip! Could you also make one with the effect removed completely? Is that possible?

My .dds skills are non existent, so I have no clue what you mean by those numbers.

It would be nice to have a "clean" version, like it was before the patch...

Sent on mobile Android via Tapatalk

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Try this one, thesu27_cpt_glass_spec.dds. Just drag and drop the dds file onto the SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.ZIP

G I think is specular power. The size of the 'hot spot'. 0 being largest. Didnt change it

It looks great, all works as expected! Thanks

Edited by Breakshot

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Thanks to SinusoidDelta, your fix returned the backup compass and cut out a bit of the glare. Thanks to Knock-Knock, your fix removed most of the remaining glare on the cockpit glass. Nice going guys! :thumbup:

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Here is a version that should work with JGSME.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbyfbz159unu03b/Su-27%20Cockpit%20glass%20quick%20fix%20JGSME.rar?dl=0

It tested out ok on my end but use at your own risk.

It's twice as large because it contains two directories. One for those with the standalone su-27 and one for those with flaming cliffs.

Thanks SinusoidDelta but small problem is here for FlamingCliffs version (i`m not check for Standalone Su27) - Missing texture in cockpit because you make archive with SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES folder inside. Just archive dds files as SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip. :thumbup:

See attachments

wrong.thumb.png.ec45e368fc870ab69b6b9b412b78526c.png

correct.thumb.png.c3b42315da992e362e3e907b80c2fff3.png

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

asdasdsad

Thanks for the info! The changes I made were basically guesswork. I'm still trying to understand how texture maps work.

Thanks SinusoidDelta but small problem is here for FlamingCliffs version (i`m not check for Standalone Su27) - Missing texture in cockpit because you make archive with SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES folder inside. Just archive dds files as SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip. :thumbup:

See attachments

Thanks for letting me know. I downloaded and unpacked the .rar to check for this problem but I don't see it. The textures were archived as .zip files not as folders when I checked. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding somehow :)

eQnLSb2.png

Here's the updated JGSME compatible version with KnockKnock's su27_cpt_glass_spec.dds:

Edit:

Fixed .zip texture structure according to 238thFalcon's post

Su-27 Cockpit glass quick fix JGSME v1.2

Edited by SinusoidDelta

SD, you will see what i mean if you double-click on that .zip. SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES folder is inside. For correct archive when we open it we must have .dds files in that archive. In your archive when we open it we have folder SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.

Problem is Mods/aircraft/Flaming Cliffs/Cockpit/Textures/SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip/SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES-ZIP folder after extract/install and dcs will not search for dds files in SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES-ZIP folder as is in this pic:

attachment.php?attachmentid=162438&d=1495349896

Must be: Mods/aircraft/Flaming Cliffs/Cockpit/Textures/SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip and ziped .dds files inside as is on this pic:

attachment.php?attachmentid=162439&d=1495350881

Some people that don`t know how to put textures manualy will have MISSING TEXTURE in cockpit because path problem. Just that. Don`t get me wrong, your mod is great and i use it. (but I had to manually insert .dds files / re-do SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip). Maybe you don`t have MISSING TEXTURE problem because you have already inserted .dds files in correct place.

folder.thumb.png.1c544710c82b9db03e9dae914684812b.png

ok.thumb.png.78daebda91b48ce7483b967fe295469f.png

Edited by Falcon_S
  • Like 1

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Im a bit late in the thread but I want to say that while I understand the incoveniences it can cause and that it could be improved, I think the addition of the gauges reflection is very nice and realistic. IRL you would have to deal with them also and I guess at the right spot they can even blind you if they directly reflect the sun light directly in your eyes so I wont call it an "issue".

The problem is that the reflection is too simple and just translates into a perfect white instead of real reflections of different colors/intesities. Also I dont know what the su-27's mfd screen coating looks like IRL but some screens have that kind of "plastic" mate reflection which could be the case of the su-27.

So although it can and should be fine tuned, I think is a great addition which bring a lot of life to the cockpit (where we spend 99% of the time) , its realistic, and a lot of fun to deal with IMHO.

just my two cents.

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

SD, you will see what i mean if you double-click on that .zip. SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES folder is inside. For correct archive when we open it we must have .dds files in that archive. In your archive when we open it we have folder SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.

Problem is Mods/aircraft/Flaming Cliffs/Cockpit/Textures/SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip/SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES-ZIP folder after extract/install and dcs will not search for dds files in SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES-ZIP folder as is in this pic:

Must be: Mods/aircraft/Flaming Cliffs/Cockpit/Textures/SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip and ziped .dds files inside as is on this pic:

Some people that don`t know how to put textures manualy will have MISSING TEXTURE in cockpit because path problem. Just that. Don`t get me wrong, your mod is great and i use it. (but I had to manually insert .dds files / re-do SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip). Maybe you don`t have MISSING TEXTURE problem because you have already inserted .dds files in correct place.

Thanks for explaining! I understand the issue now. :doh:

I re-packed the texture .zip's without the folders, just the textures. It should work fine with JGSME now:

Su-27 Cockpit glass quick fix JGSME v1.2

Edited by SinusoidDelta

Im a bit late in the thread but I want to say that while I understand the incoveniences it can cause and that it could be improved, I think the addition of the gauges reflection is very nice and realistic. IRL you would have to deal with them also and I guess at the right spot they can even blind you if they directly reflect the sun light directly in your eyes so I wont call it an "issue".

The problem is that the reflection is too simple and just translates into a perfect white instead of real reflections of different colors/intesities. Also I dont know what the su-27's mfd screen coating looks like IRL but some screens have that kind of "plastic" mate reflection which could be the case of the su-27.

So although it can and should be fine tuned, I think is a great addition which bring a lot of life to the cockpit (where we spend 99% of the time) , its realistic, and a lot of fun to deal with IMHO.

just my two cents.

meant to comment on this earlier. I totally agree the reflections could be improved. I think it's just a matter of

For a long time I was using c@sper's HD F-15 Cockpit. At some point the glass reflections on the gauges became so over bearing I had to stop using it. I don't have photoshop and at the time I didn't know a .dds plugin / previewer called normalmap existed for GIMP 2.8.

Any changes I made here were a complete shot in the dark. I've read a lot more about texturing dds but still don't fully understand it. :dontgetit:

I'm still experimenting with how alpha layers work with rgb maps work with in general and DCS specifically.

Maybe some more people with knowledge of texturing can chime in?

just my two cents.

I perfectly agree with your two cents ;)

And I'm sure those reflections are being tweaked while ED is working on the new engine including the PBR rendering and even considering additional rendering techniques that wouldn't kill the frame rate.

We should have a better idea of the result in Normandy with the warbirds as they're probably the current priority.

Afaik the L-39 have a different and much more subtle fake reflection rendering on the instruments glass and that's also something that makes the cockpit so pleasing.

One other thing to consider with the fake reflection is that they look like wallpaper on surfaces with a stereoscopic rendering (mostly VR, but it's possible to have an idea of the issue with the anamorphic rendering). So that's something ED is also probably considering while modifying the existing textures.

I'm eager to see a polished result in our cockpits.

• Like 1

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

I perfectly agree with your two cents ;)

And I'm sure those reflections are being tweaked while ED is working on the new engine including the PBR rendering and even considering additional rendering techniques that wouldn't kill the frame rate.

We should have a better idea of the result in Normandy with the warbirds as they're probably the current priority.

Afaik the L-39 have a different and much more subtle fake reflection rendering on the instruments glass and that's also something that makes the cockpit so pleasing.

One other thing to consider with the fake reflection is that they look like wallpaper on surfaces with a stereoscopic rendering (mostly VR, but it's possible to have an idea of the issue with the anamorphic rendering). So that's something ED is also probably considering while modifying the existing textures.

I'm eager to see a polished result in our cockpits.

Yap, they are being tweaked no doubt. Look at the reflections in the F-86 gauges in Normandy map...they look great!

Take a look at my MODS here

The front console also has some issues. Looks like some of the textures are buggy:

screen_170529_005946azufk.jpg

screen_170529_005949fou0i.jpg

As you can see the lower section starts to look like a pixel mix.

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi | Intel i7-13700K | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Elite | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-600 | MSI RTX 3080 12GB | Seasonic TX-850 | 2x Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Samsung EVO 870 4 TB | Acer XB241H | Win 11 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | Logitech G502 Proteus RGB | Corsair K70 | Corsair MM300 PRO | TM Warthog Throttle | VIRPIL WarBRD w/ Warthog grip | VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 grip | VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base | SLAW Device Viper RX v2 | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO

The front console also has some issues. Looks like some of the textures are buggy:

As you can see the lower section starts to look like a pixel mix.

That's the "missing texture" texture filling in for the spec map. I've got that happening on the Su-33 but not the 27?

edit: looked closer and noticed those pics are from Su-33 :doh: