Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

Still in development

There is no new info to share, its still in development, but nothing new and interesting to share right now.

What is the stage of development? When do they plan to have a beta with vulkan? 6 months, 1 year?

For improving the performance in VR would be great!!

What is the stage of development? When do they plan to have a beta with vulkan? 6 months, 1 year?

For improving the performance in VR would be great!!

No news yet. When you read the forum you read that the Hornet has now the highest priority. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

No news yet. When you read the forum you read that the Hornet has now the highest priority. :D

I didn’t read it that way.

What I read was that they have a small dedicated team (4 or 5) currently working on new F18 functionality, as discussed by Wags. We have no idea what they’re other 50 or so colleagues are doing. Clearly some will be doing finance, marketing and test roles. Hopefully some of the remaining will include time working on the new dedicated server and Vulkan.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

It's a safe bet that those working on the core engine do not play a direct role in individual module development. Also, switching graphics api's is not the kind of thing you can show off, especially when it's in progress. This is one of those things where we won't get any details until an "it's in internal testing now" type of message. No telling how long this switch will take. It's a complex task with undoubtedly numerous unexpected problems.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Again...let them take their time and do this properly. I just hope we eventually get a very detailed post what went into making this transition and what has changed under the hood. Yes, doesn't really matter to most of us. Still it would be nice to get a better under standing how DCS's engine works!

Look, you're going to spend your money on something sooner or later. Whether or not that's a product that's got native Vulkan support is questionable at best.

Hurry up and wait, solemnly, patiently, and for the love of a 25 page thread... read the previous days' posts!!

I don't always openly list my things. But when I do, I put it in my signature.

As much as I understand Vulkan API doesnt mean higher FPS in every situation and every rig.

If you have a low number objects scene ( high altitude , few aircafts and few ground units ) it should run almost other APIs.

If you have a high number objects scene ( low altitude, many aircrafts and ground units , high LOD situation ) Vulkan should give the best.

Can't really tell for the other sim but DCS has a more detailed terrain , high poly ground units and more chance to have a high traffic situation on air , land and sea.

Just imagine a Dynamic Campaign with populated airports , hundreds of aircrafts , SAMs , armors , civil traffic , ships , infantry units , etc.

Vulkan should give a huge boost of performance.

• 3 weeks later...
As new Vulkan based games show significant higher FPS rate difference between nVidia's RTX and GTX (in favour for the RTX) than non-Vulkan games I'm verry optimistic that ED will give us this sugar as soon as possible!

Looking forward to it :thumbup:

New 2070 RTX card on the way for my new build. I'm looking forward capitalizing on this new tech!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• 1 month later...
Me too, I just dont know if the oven is really turned on.

I am happy when we get more specific information, e.g. a timeline or a time frame for an alpha build.

Which I'm rather hoping ED doesn't provide.

Some of what ED does is VERY complex and the implications are that delays happen.

I'm very happy for ED to say that something is in progress, but save actual dates until either they're dropping an update or are 100% sure of it.

Just look at how many threads have been simple moans, by people unable to accept that things don't always go to timelines in software delivery.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Some of what ED does is VERY complex and the implications are that delays happen.

No problems with delays.

Just look at how many threads have been simple moans, by people unable to accept that things don't always go to timelines in software delivery.

Just ignore them. There are always some people who are like that.

Really looking forward to seeing DCS with Vulkan on my 8GB Vega 64. It beats the GTX 1080 and below at everything else under Vulkan so I am very hopeful to see that on DCS.

Antec P280 | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus 7 | i7 8086K @ 4.9Ghz on Thermaltake 240mm CLC | 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 @ 2400Mhz | Asus Strix Vega 64 8GB | Asus Strix XG35VQ w/ FreeSync

Samsung 960EVO NVMe for DCS and Windows 10 w/ other storage for stuff

TrackIR 5, TM WH Stick + Throttle + TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• 2 weeks later...
So it's been two years, the vr came out, when we sign a petition to implement vulkan or anything that can double the performance? or must we continue to enrich nvidia unnecessarily to have an unplayable vr prerformance?

ED is working on Vulkan already, no ETA though. It won't double performance... depending on your system you may see an improvement.

VR performance will see a bigger boost from something like foveted rendering/eye tracking. Vulkan may have a slight boost but it's unknown right now how much of one, if any.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

what's foveted rendering/eye tracking?
It is a new feature. It is way of making VR render what your eyes are focus on in higher resulotion than your peripheral views instead of rendering the whole view in same resolution.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

It is a new feature. It is way of making VR render what your eyes are focus on in higher resulotion than your peripheral views instead of rendering the whole view in same resolution.

I saw on the intrnet.It seems like a good thing but it does not convince me in many ways.First of all it is an optimization tool, second of all, it will be necessary to see if it imports other problems, lag,peripheral vision got worse a bit etc ... then it will still be a question of marketing, new video cards to support it and new and more expensive viewers.

However still a great idea.

Foveated rendering is the technique I have the most hope for to provide large performance gains in VR. Your foveal vision only accounts for ~8-18° of your visual field. Outside of that small region visual acuity decreases rapidly. When we start getting full field 190° VR headsets, without foveated rendering 99% of that image will be massively over rendered. Even in our current ~50° scuba mask headsets there's a huge potential performance benefit to foveated rendering.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Amusing how many people seem to think Vulkan is a holy grail that will magically double fps or some nonsense. It will help, and remove some bottlenecks. You are not going to go from 30 to 90fps if you're running a potato.

I'm reminded of the timeframe before Arma 3 went to 64-bit. People, despite the devs warning otherwise, expected miracles. When it finally dropped, it unsurprisingly STABILISED fps somewhat and certainly helped with scene loading, etc, but I don't recall anybody getting any BOOST.

There is no magic button that solves performance issues for an inherently demanding application. At the end of the day, those numbers still have to get crunched, regardless of what API you're using. Doubtless we will have a tide of ill mannered ranting and implied incompetency when somebody's six year old rig still struggles to pump out a useful framerate @@

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

It will help, and remove some bottlenecks. You are not going to go from 30 to 90fps if you're running a potato.

agreed.

I had been hoping for a +50% fps miracle with Vulkan, too. Which it is not, as benchmarks show.

btw: DirectX12 seems to provide similar bonus to framerates, cause it uses similar innovations.

But we don't have DX12 yet with DCS. I know.

IMHO, it seems to be all about the "sum of progress" in technology.

So maybe I will get my +50% miracle with:

Vulkan (or DX12) + DLSS + Adaptive Shading + ...

And there is a good chance that, at that time when all of this is in DCS, a RTX 2180 (not 2080!) is available that gives me another +60% fps. ;)