Top Speed in NTTR - Barely 200 ?

SnowTiger

I have recently been flying the Gazelle in NTTR as opposed to the Caucus'.

{I don't know if the following is also a problem in France map - haven't checked}

In Caucus map, I have no problem trimming for level flight, initiating Altitude Hold and then winding the Gazelle up to and sometimes over 210 (depending on loadout, fuel and wind direction) with Collective and Torque cranked to the threshold point just before the Torque Lights start flickering (i.e. 96-97% ?).

But in NTTR the collective doesn't really have an effect on Speed while in Alt. Hold.

The nose does drop as if to add speed (when pulling/increasing collective) but the speed barely hits 180-200, even at full power (at the torque threshold described above).

Is it just me OR are others finding the same issue ?

Is Polychop aware of this issue (assuming that it is not just me experiencing it) ?

PS> I will report my findings on this topic when I've had a chance to check this out in the France map (and the patience to wait for DCS 2 and the single aircraft/no vehicle Mission to load).

SnowTiger:joystick:

To be honest I did consider that when I noticed climbing was labored in NTTR.

In Caucus it is 20 deg's and in NTTR "I think" it was 22 deg's.

But I will take a closer look at that today for sure. I don't think the temp difference should be enough to make that much difference in level flight speed but it's worth me taking a closer look at it.

Thanks.

PS> With that said, I take it no one else is noticing my issue (unless there is a climate difference).

Set the NADIR knobs to TERRE and VS DER, this will give you a ground speed indication on the display. I think this is the best way to create comparable speed tests.

However, there are elevation differences between Caucasus, Normandy and NTTR map. Las Vegas is about 2,030 ft (620 m) above sea level.

This affects all helicopters, but maybe the Gazelles design makes the difference more noticeable than with a UH-1 or Mi-8.

It's true that there is an approximate 600m average difference in altitude between Caucus and NTTR. I just never would expect such a drastic reduction in top speed from really little difference in altitude (approx 1800 feet) except in really extreme temperature differences.

But I will definitely consider all of these factors and try some different settings out and see what I come up with.

It sounds to me that there is a consensus that the difference I am experiencing is the same for everyone (not just me) and are accepted due to the above mentioned factors. So that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the replies.

I have recently been flying the Gazelle in NTTR as opposed to the Caucus'.

{I don't know if the following is also a problem in France map - haven't checked}

In Caucus map, I have no problem trimming for level flight, initiating Altitude Hold and then winding the Gazelle up to and sometimes over 210 (depending on loadout, fuel and wind direction) with Collective and Torque cranked to the threshold point just before the Torque Lights start flickering (i.e. 96-97% ?).

But in NTTR the collective doesn't really have an effect on Speed while in Alt. Hold.

The nose does drop as if to add speed (when pulling/increasing collective) but the speed barely hits 180-200, even at full power (at the torque threshold described above).

Is it just me OR are others finding the same issue ?

Is Polychop aware of this issue (assuming that it is not just me experiencing it) ?

PS> I will report my findings on this topic when I've had a chance to check this out in the France map (and the patience to wait for DCS 2 and the single aircraft/no vehicle Mission to load).

Fully loaded M model at gross weight in NTTR: max speed 500 AGL at Nellis 190 km/h, empty, 50% fuel 210 km/h. I think this is fairly correct.

In Alt.hold mode while playing with the collective speed decreases and increases as intended. Max possible speed with load of course will not be higher than ~ 190 km/h

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

If you are disappointed in the low IAS in forward flight, enter a sustained steep-ish turn. Notice that you will have gained 10+ KPH with the same collective setting. I don't know what Mr. Newton would say about that.

Ah...we start again....

Ok....question: how did you manage to keep VSI = 0 in the turn while pulling G´s? If you pull 1G no speed increase of course nor decrease, if you pull more than that speed decreases (like IRL). And it´s very hard to keep VSI at 0 - never gained speed apart when the helicopter was in a turning descent.

You are able to fly a steep (sustained) turn without loosing altitude?? I am not - as the controls are too sensitive to maintain VSI = 0 for a longer period while in a steep turn (>30 degrees). And of course if you want to maintain altitude you have to pull at the stick, thus G´s.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

Ya ... I don't know about the sustained turn method's accuracy, but I am satisfied with the previous answers that explain that Altitude, Temperature and relative humidity (although I'm not sure the latter is modeled in DCS ?) can and do affect the overall Speeds and Climb Rates.

This makes total sense. In fact, while I was already aware of these facts, I neglected to consider them when I noted the difference between Caucus and Nevada. I won't forget it now.