HORTON Ho229 v4+ by Polychop Simulations

borchi_2b

The 229 is popular with so many people for reasons I've never understood. It's a failed prototype and pure UFO material. Everytime I see it in a flight ''sim'' I boo loudly.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

failed prototype. Well it was a prototype.

And the only flying one did crash, which was entirely on the Jumo004 engines which had terrible reliability. The actually intended engines were HeS011.

It is an experimental plane which is kinda weird for a combat simulator, but then we have the KA50. lol. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Are there any WIP screenshots ?

Ho-229 is beautiful and pure aerodynamical shaped aircraft. Acording to documents it has great performance.

I am looking forward to this module !

Edited by ZaHaDum

"Ніяка в світі сила нас не зламає, бо нас коріння наше в землі тримає"

Ka-50 and Su-25T were both low production units, but they did see combat as others mentioned.

The 229 is a prototype. Is ED turning into a certain snail mascoted simulator now, or what?

In general, the 3rd party devs need to quit taking such a random shotgun style scattered approach to tgeir lists and try to focus on specific themes and make sure they have matching aircraft.

Seriously, what is this PROTOTYPE from WWII even supposed to fly against?

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Are there any WIP screenshots ?

Ho-229 is beautiful and pure aerodynamical shaped aircraft. Acording to documents it has great performance.

I am looking forward to this module !

Yes, there are. Check the first page ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ka-50 and Su-25T were both low production units, but they did see combat as others mentioned.

The 229 is a prototype. Is ED turning into a certain snail mascoted simulator now, or what?

In general, the 3rd party devs need to quit taking such a random shotgun style scattered approach to tgeir lists and try to focus on specific themes and make sure they have matching aircraft.

Seriously, what is this PROTOTYPE from WWII even supposed to fly against?

Christ on a bike. This is linked to your post in Chit-chat isn't it?

You don't have to buy it you know, nor does any developer have to develop what you'd like them to either.

There are so many unique German WW2 designs that would be incredible to fly. The 229 included. I love how they all have their own little quirks and it isn't your standard FBW laden modern super fighters or even 1960's fighters that are stable. These things were brutal to fly but if you mastered them it was actually flying a plane and not dampeners and FBW's flying for you. There are so many German wonder weapons I would love to see in DCS for the sole reason that you're actually flying a plane and not a computer.

Yes, there are. Check the first page ;)

That post is dated 2014 year. We need fresh news !

and May the Force be with you QuiGon =)

"Ніяка в світі сила нас не зламає, бо нас коріння наше в землі тримає"

The 229 is popular with so many people for reasons I've never understood. It's a failed prototype and pure UFO material. Everytime I see it in a flight ''sim'' I boo loudly.

For me the Ho 229 represents the pinnacle of WW2 German aircraft design like few other planes. Truly revolutionary and unusual, not just an early design for the common 1950s pattern jet fighters. One of the few advanced late war projects that actually reached flying prototype state.

For me a worthy project, if there is enough data available to accurately simulate it in DCS. Since they had actual prototypes, one even still existing, and not only a collection of drawings, I don’t see why it should principally not be possible to create a realistic simulation.

Being able to fly the most remarkable designs of all eras and see how they would perform in certain situations is a great part of my fascination for DCS. It is in in depth technically orientated sandbox sim and as such not just a tool to replay historic conflicts as some competitors.

With all the additional AI planes planned for the Ww2 assets pack there will be enough material to create some interesting combat scenarios for the Ho 229.

so were getting into proto/experimental & blueprint aircraft now? oh god no.....

Whats next the A12 avenger module?

At least the V3 actually flew test flights ( but that was not even combat capable), but the V4 construction was barely completed.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

[...]

At least the V3 actually flew test flights ( but that was not even combat capable), but the V4 construction was barely completed.

The V3 is the frame that got captured by the US forces and is the one being restored in the USA nowadays. It never flew and was the version by Gothaer Waggonfabrik to get into production. The V1 was a sole glider and the V2 was the version that did 3 flights before it crashed on the fourth flight because of engine failure and killed the test pilot:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

There are manyyyy modules under development. If you don't want a horten, don't buy this one (if it's ever made).

Its not about wanting to buy it or not, but ecouraging to focus on development on something that actually flew, saw service, was extensively tested, and better yet aircraft that saw actual combat deployments.

Im pretty sure people here can see an issue of trying to "simulate" aircraft within the category of Incomplete Prototypes, and or outright blueprint or concept aircraft. There's a reason why aircraft go through extensive testing before they are adopted for service. Some examples to to confirm listed Paper data. the designers envisioned from the design aren't bogus ( that in actuality performs as it was envisioned), and to discover overlooked teething issues. Until then its all arguably still theoretical. Horten V4 was not only never test flown, It merely just a partially finished pro type. Only V1 (glider) and V2 ( jumo 004 engined), respectively ever saw a handful of test flights, and the latter flamed out while in the flight test process.

aircraft like the Ka50 and Su25T were at least extensively tested in controlled environments, before going on to being fully combat capable and having that limited production run. In addition to testing these did even did see some limited combat usage. So with aircraft like that, there are far more validacy in the DCS environment than the Horten despite not seeing any major service or mass adoption of those specific models.

Thus at this rate a Me163 and or even a HE162 would make more sense at this point, as a compliment to future ww2 german jet like the Me262a1 ( planned by VEAO).

whats next after the horten ? the TA183? maybe also the E50/75/100 tanks for ground forces? Better not to open this rabbit hole to begin with. its almost bordering speculative fiction going for such aircraft like the horten v4 or above like the V5 or V6

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I spent many, many, hours flying the Horten in other sims, imagining myself as a Luftwaffe test pilot. I love the craft, and personally hope to see it in DCS one day. We all play for different reasons. Prototype or not this is an iconic plane that's been featured in games going all the back to Secret Weopons of the Luftwaffe. Along with Normandy, the current ww2 planes, give me the 163, p-38, p-47 and a flyable b-17 and I would have everything I ever needed in a ww2 sim. I know I am not alone.

I spent many, many, hours flying the Horten in other sims, imagining myself as a Luftwaffe test pilot. I love the craft, and personally hope to see it in DCS one day. We all play for different reasons. Prototype or not this is an iconic plane that's been featured in games going all the back to Secret Weopons of the Luftwaffe. Along with Normandy, the current ww2 planes, give me the 163, p-38, p-47 and a flyable b-17 and I would have everything I ever needed in a ww2 sim. I know I am not alone.

except those aforementioned weren't study sims like DCS..... and im guessing the version featured were V2 or V3 at most?

A luftwaffe test pilot would never have flown anything above the V2. V3 completed but never Flown. allies captured it. V4 barely completed construction, anything above v4/5 ( implied by V4 +) has no place in DCS. V6 did not exist physically at all as an airframe. It was entirely paper / model concept.

So honestly even such a A developer is going for the Ho229, Anything above the V3 is entering into realm of la la land. ( the Jumo 004s fit into the V3 airframe, even though tested only on the V2/) Maybe if it was FC3 grade, but honestly you can't make a legit study grade "simulation" of something that did not exist.

Even 2 type developer of known arcadey mmo type flight games ; 1 with a certain Snail mascoted Logo, and another with a 2 arrows in a circle did not go above Ho229 V3 model , themselves very understanding similar obvious reasons already mentioned here......

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

[...]

Thus at this rate a Me163 and or even a HE162 would make more sense at this point, as a compliment to future ww2 german jet like the Me262a1 ( planned by VEAO).

Despite the fact that I would love to fly the Horten, you´re absolutely right. Some other jet aircraft that saw some combat would make more sense. For example an Arado Ar-234, the first jet powered bomber used in WWII.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
The ME-262 was operational. The horton did I think 3 glide tests and never flew with engines running. It's impossible to get good data for it.
There has been a project from Northrop that used the "glider model" and its data to develop something they now call a stealth bomber...

In addition there was a series of test flights with the H.IX v2 at Gotaer Waggonfabrik in Feb.1945 powered with the Jumo 004 jet-engine.

It just didn't make it beyond the prototype phase. Yet it has been the foundation to the B-2 project.

Northrop actually built a replica to evaluate the Ho 229s capabilities...

So the question is more how easy can one get access to their wind tunnel data etc.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

There has been a project from Northrop that used the "glider model" and its data to develop something they now call a stealth bomber...

In addition there was a series of test flights with the H.IX v2 at Gotaer Waggonfabrik in Feb.1945 powered with the Jumo 004 jet-engine.

It just didn't make it beyond the prototype phase. Yet it has been the foundation to the B-2 project.

Northrop actually built a replica to evaluate the Ho 229s capabilities...

So the question is more how easy can one get access to their wind tunnel data etc.

Northrop never required Horton to build a wing flyer bomber or a "foundation to the B-2" has only a Hoax. The XB-36 was signed on 1941 and engine work strart on 1942.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_YB-35

The engines of the XB-49, was Allison J35, a engine started to a improve of the General Electric T31, build on 1943.

The ME-262 was operational. The horton did I think 3 glide tests and never flew with engines running. It's impossible to get good data for it.

This has already been discussed. They are doing everything to make sure this thing will behave realistically or it won't happen:

Hi Guys, a little update on that project.

We received some help and some good advices to collect real data on the Horten. We are about to get over 300 pages of declassified paper soon too. We will evalute them and decide in combination if we have a good source of info or not. I will also try to contact some institution soon too, cause there should be real life data available in some way.

If we can manage to get enough info on the flightbehavior and what it should be, we will probably proceed with that beauty. Untill then it is still on hold. I guess during the first quarter of the Year 2016 we will decide about the fate of this project.

Sincearly

Sven

Hi everybody,

I do read fears about the flightmodel quite often here. We still will try to produce a plane that will behave like the original did or would have behaved.

We got some address and a good hint on some info that I already started to pursuit.

The documents have not arrived yet but I contacted another source last week, but do to the fact that we are into the Gazelle release at the moment, I did not focus to much on the HO229 lately. I try to see the upcoming week if the guys I contacted last week are able to help out or want to helpü out. Will see.

What I figured is, that there are informations available on the exact airframe and how it behaves.

Many ways lead to rome guys.

Nevertheless, I wish a happy weekend

Sven

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg