A lot of scratches, maybe a bit less please

razo+r

The Canopy really has a lot of scratches depending on the view angle and the sun. If you zoom in, then it's like increasing by a lot, which makes it really hard to look through all those scratches. Could you maybe put in a bit less scratches?

Hey man, Razbam sold you a used plane.

... as they did to all of us :smilewink:

Previous owner didn't have closable pockets

So all of his junk was flying around in cockpit.

And scratched the window.

I can offer you one from my collection of slightly less used canopies

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aiNGAPm8DJGOiFQ8y43QpTUFNGgqx2JD

Use with your favorite Mod manager. :thumbup:

Edited by DirkLarien

I can offer you one from my collection of slightly less used canopies

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aiNGAPm8DJGOiFQ8y43QpTUFNGgqx2JD

Use with your favorite Mod manager. :thumbup:

Damn, that's a way better crash landing than any of mine :Lol:

Not cool, I just came back here from a 40 something minute session of watching Hot Shots videos on YouTube.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

The Canopy really has a lot of scratches depending on the view angle and the sun. If you zoom in, then it's like increasing by a lot, which makes it really hard to look through all those scratches. Could you maybe put in a bit less scratches?

+1000 Please Razbam fix this.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

+1000 Please Razbam fix this.

This issue has nothing to do with Razbam: the canopy of every aircraft in DCS has excessive scratches, as per 2.5.1 .

I don't understand why they add a "feature" that no one wants and looks horrible.

I agree it's a bit excessive at the moment, but claiming "no one wants it" is just not true. IRL all canopies have scratches, so DCS aircraft should have them as well. It's realistic.

Edited by Elysian Angel
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

i personaly find it ****ing awesome in VR, makes the division between invisible not existing canopy in video game versus feeling something, this is one of the few details i pesonaly thing spread the fake video game sim than relity. I only think it should be tuned down a bit, now it looks like sctaches as you tkae your key and grave the glass, but the effect they wanted to achieve i think is more like the same effect you get on your car when it's due for a wax treatment on the paint, you see the sort wethering effect looking like spider webs reflecting the sunlight, it's should be sorta trnasparent and less opaque, but i would never want those being taken off. :) Maybe jsut tuning down the ALpha Chanel masking it or duno how it's applied, but tuning them a bit to be less opaque

Edited by Doum76

IRL all canopies have scratches, so DCS aircraft should have them as well. It's realistic.

Scratches and crazing are common, but never to the extent DCS does it. I know you said this too so I'm just reiterating. Also, IRL you're ability to see through things is easier because of depth perception, shadows, etc. This is not true when looking at a flat screen a fixed distance from your look-balls.

This and baked in obscuring reflection textures that are especially egregious in the FC3 jets are a serious problem and one I've been asking fixed for a long time. Nobody cares.

Also, RAZBAM's pension for not letting you dim the HUD is a serious problem. All these interfaces between man and machine are hugely important IRL. Nobody cares.

It makes me think there are not enough real world users in the ranks of all the development teams. Or maybe they're falling into the graphics technology trap of "if we can do, we will do it" and never thinking "should we do it?"

IDK, lots of speculation on my part, but this kind of stuff is extremely frustrating for me.

, but claiming "no one wants it" is just not true. IRL all canopies have scratches, so DCS aircraft should have them as well. It's realistic.

i personaly dont want eye-cancer from overexessive "realism". even my car window (10+ years old ) has less scratches and glares...

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

i personaly dont want eye-cancer from overexessive "realism". even my car window (10+ years old ) has less scratches and glares...

Your car windows are made from glass (windshield = laminated, the rest are tempered), which is quite hard and scratch resistant. Aircraft canopies are plastic (acrylic, polycarbonate or similar) which scratches very easily. They are not comparable.

Personally I think there arent enough scratches I can still make out the faint image of land through all the scratches...

I mean man come on i'm all for realism but at a certain point we have to accept that its already hard enough finding targets without labels and now I have to look thru this canopy that looks like the ground crew let mike tyson box a silver back gorilla in my cockpit.

i'm not saying get rid of the scratches cuz I do feel theyre important to the realism but toning them down a bit can't hurt....

Untitled.thumb.png.110f1f962c0e3da2047bb1e4f62a363e.png

Edited by Growling Sidewinder

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

Can this be solved with a skin for the aircraft?

If not, maybe the solution should be a configurable slider for each aircraft, such tha players can chose.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Your car windows are made from glass (windshield = laminated, the rest are tempered), which is quite hard and scratch resistant. Aircraft canopies are plastic (acrylic, polycarbonate or similar) which scratches very easily. They are not comparable.

I've flown gliders and powered aircraft with blown acrylic canopies; whilst far from perfect (especially if someone carelessly drops it) you focus beyond the imperfections and they become far less noticeable, this is of course not really feasible to simulate the shift in focus.

I'm all for some dullness or subtle marks present so that you can 'feel' that there is a canopy there, but not the excessive marks that currently appear.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

whilst far from perfect (especially if someone carelessly drops it) you focus beyond the imperfections and they become far less noticeable, this is of course not really feasible to simulate the shift in focus.

this!

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

This! Exactly.. Perspex scratches very easily.

The scratches are not excessive.

I'm not denying the presence of scratches on canopies, on the contrary (especially in GA where cost is more of a factor). We had cracks on some of the older club operated glider canopies from drops, with patches and anti-travel holes drilled.

Your camera is focused to the canopy, when I fly; I'm not focused on that, I'm looking beyond it for traffic and so on. Those are light scratches along with apparently dirt, not quite what I'm seeing in the Harrier.

Long and short, in my humble opinion, as a flyer; it could do with toning down.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Yeah, look at all those scratches!

...erhem....and how easily you can see through them!

You guys are getting wrapped up around the axel on if the number of scratches is accurate. That's not what matters. What matters is the overall effect of those graphics on the user. If you can't see through the canopy, for whatever reason, then the effect that is causing that needs to be toned down. Like we have already mentioned looking at a flat monitor a fixed distance from your face is very different from how your eyes, position in the cockpit, glass, and objects outside of your aircraft all interact together IRL. Even in the worst conditions IRL you can mitigate the obscuration to some degree and that's just not the case in DCS. Whatever the graphical engine decides to give you is what you're stuck with.