Harrier Training Missions

baltic_dragon

Heard good things about these missions so tried a few last night, and none recognized the space bar press.

PC

i7 7700k

Gigabyte Z270

MSI GTX 1070

32gb DDR4

500gb EVO 850 SSD DCS

500gb EVO 960 NVMe SSD Windows

This issue comes up regularly not just here. Can't remember the solution exactly, but it has something to do with the user's mapping of the space bar.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

But you always have to wait until the voiceover says to press it.

Not always true, and that is one of the frustrations of the DCS Training Missions. Can't remember how it works in the Harrier, but there are varying standards. Sometimes you can press space in advance and skip the instructor's speech, sometimes you can't. Sometimes if you press just too early, the whole lession breaks down.

I appreciate that these things are all set in ME, but really, ED ought to standardise the way in which these training missions are produced, as it can be very confusing for novice flyers trying to become familiar with a module for whom these are intended.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Welcome to the club, dude...

What does that even mean?

Eh, not sure who you are referring to, but in my case I’m making a suggestion that I have mentioned a few times in the last few years in the vain hope that ED would standardise and help new learners for whom these TMs are designed for. I have got ‘used to it’s flaws’ but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t strive to help others now and in the future.

There are other aspects they could improve on like, sometimes a button press too soon sends the mission into a frenzy, other times an early press moves everything on.

The novice is easily confused by the lack of standardisation in DCS, and it is a shame that even the new modules in the last year or so have no common behaviour.

My harrier space bar was mapped to weapon release but after having no luck with the space bar press triggering the mission I tried clearing the mapping. Still doesn’t work. Example is mission says anchor waypoint 1 and press space bar when ready. Which I do and nothing happens.

PC

i7 7700k

Gigabyte Z270

MSI GTX 1070

32gb DDR4

500gb EVO 850 SSD DCS

No space bar presses are detected. I've tried Short Landing Practice Day, Short Air to Air Refueling, M10 Advanced Handling, and several of the sidearm/mav practice missions. The initial voice-over plays, then it never gets the spacebar press and nothing else plays.

PC

i7 7700k

Gigabyte Z270

MSI GTX 1070

32gb DDR4

500gb EVO 850 SSD DCS

• 2 months later...

Check there is no modifier active.

Also, on the LGB training mission, the radio information for the JTAC is not given. I had to go and look for it in the mission file to be able to extract the freq I needed to set was 144.000.

Can this be included in the briefing or kneeboard?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Check there is no modifier active.

Also, on the LGB training mission, the radio information for the JTAC is not given. I had to go and look for it in the mission file to be able to extract the freq I needed to set was 144.000.

Can this be included in the briefing or kneeboard?

Sure.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, :helpsmilie: I am referring to 3MTA3's post about the training missions not proceeding with spacebar? I purchased the AV-8B last week and downloaded BD's training missions, but I am suffering the Spacebar problem where the mission will not procceed after pressing it, or holding it down.

I was wondering if you managed to solve this problem and how to rectify it?

Thanks in advance.

Just an aside, you don’t have to download BD’s TMs. They are part of the standard Harrier package.

Hi BD,

I've made a bit of a discovery, my Space bar does not work in any of the training missions for any of my aircraft . Yet if I go into the controls and press the Space bar, it detects that it is bound to fire the gun. Yet as soon as enter the cockpit again the Space Bar fails to register its press. Very odd.

I also checked the properties of my OpenBeta shortcut on my desktop and found that it was not running as an administrator, so I checked that box and ran OpenBeta again, unfortunately this did not work as the Space Bar still fails to work in training missions, back to square one.

I also tried, starting Notepad, then starting OpenBeta, when the Space Bar failed to procced the training mission, I Alt+Tab to Notepad, and pressed the Space Bar, and it functioned correctly, but when I Alt+Tab to Openbeta, the space bar failed again in cockpit.

TBH, I am at a loss as to what is causing this error. If anyone else as encountered this problem, and found a fix, I would be grateful if you could tell me how you rectified it, and have my eternal thanks.

P.S. I have run a repair on the OpenBeta.

Edited by ratty13

Is it only Harrier TMs that are affected? Do other modules work ok?

Does the space bar fire the gun when you're in the air?

Hi imacken,

I've just done some testing, and Space bar does not work in any training mission, also I loaded A10 Free flight, Air start, and found that Space bar, Does Not fire the gun, trigger on stick does, yet in controls, the space bar is detected and bound to fire the gun.

The mystery deepens.

This all points to the space bar being assigned to something else as well.

Can you check both the UI layer as well as General in Controls to see if it is designated there.

Hi imacken,

I've just done some testing, and Space bar does not work in any training mission, also I loaded A10 Free flight, Air start, and found that Space bar, Does Not fire the gun, trigger on stick does, yet in controls, the space bar is detected and bound to fire the gun.

The mystery deepens.

What do you have for joystick? Are you using profiles, or DirectX buttonpresses only?