Supersonic Ejection

Tuna-Salad

OK, how would you feel if pilots die if they exceed the design limits of the seat ?

So:

NATO pilots die at greater than 600 KEAS &/or Greater than 50,000 feet

WARSAW pilots die at greater than 755 KEAS &/or Greater than 80,000 feet

That would be like 0.5% of all ejections.

Is it worth coding that ?

?

(Figures from the US Govt study posted above)

I don't know how much coding would be needed, but it wouldn't be amiss in a simulator whose main quality is realism. DCS users are definitely people who appreciate small details.

I was thinking about something like:

0<IAS<400→no injury

400<IAS<600→ injury: when the pilot touches ground he can't walk or stand

IAS>600→ death

Besides, I thought that ejections at very high speeds were not that unusual: don't pilots sometimes try and outrun the enemy in a dogfight? If they are hit by bullets in the meanwhile, they may try an ejection. Or doesn't it happen that someone launches a missile at you and you start going fast hoping that the missile runs out of fuel and then you realize it's close and consider an ejection?

P.S.: DCS will be an awesome simulator with or without this, but it would be better with.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

There was a story of F-15 pilot that survived, but it seriously F***** him up.

HecyxhXDepU

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Ok...however that was not the point...

The OP was about the survivability in such a situation. My point was that it does not matter within the context of the game/sim.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Former aircrew who sat in seats and fortunately never used them. Which is not to say in my 10 years in the AF I didn't know many people who did. Based on that, ACES II is a pretty good seat, know a lot of folks who pulled the handles and lived to tell about it.

Also, had the misfortune of being stationed someplace where we had two ejections in two months time, one fatal, one with serious injuries (that guy was supposed to come to my squadron). The fatality was supersonic and low altitude, high q kills. The serious injuries case was a t-38 at over 500 knots which is in the "serious injuries may occur region of the seat charts.

FWIW in a controlled ejection scenario we always briefed pulling the handles at as low of an airspeed as possible, 200 knots or less is better. Typically, we'll pull the nose up, slow below 200, you in the back go first and I'll follow you out...

The OP was about the survivability in such a situation. My point was that it does not matter within the context of the game/sim.

I don't think that your point is totally wrong: this is a flight sim, but I don't agree completely either.

I just think that this simulator is used by people who wants to learn something about air combat and possibly feel some of the excitement of it (although in real life it's war and it's a very serious thing: it's not just fun like driving a go-kart).

One of the tasks that every pilot has to carry out is to survive and IMO, if a DCS user knows that he dies if he ejects at 700 knots, he will keep that in mind every time he will enter the transonic-supersonic range of speed, like real pilots probably do, I guess.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer