Replacement of Potentiometer in Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Unfortunately not. I tried for a long time, before giving up.

The ones Saitek use are made specifically for their throttle quadrant and are not good quality. You can use WD40 or the like for a while, but each time it lasts for less long before it needs doing again.

I ditched mine after 4 years and made my own controls instead.

It isn't just Saitek that uses low quality components, though. Logitech did the same with their very expensive G940.

Don't quite understand the "shaking hard" bit though?

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

All three axis are shaking the whole time. Using as a throttle is nearly impossible, because of missing precission and some planes doesn't really like, if you are shaking at the throttle that way.

Its the same problem with my saitek pedals...those I send back to saitek last week, reaction unclear...

I read about saitek and shaking axis looks like a widespread problem.

People keep harping on about not using WD40 - I'm a radio technician (my first trade) since 1983 and I have always used it and never had any issues at all because of it. I also used it many times to clean up vintage amateur radio gear.

Have yet to see any concrete proof that it's bad for electrical contacts, too.

Use what you like, though - just saying :)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

is it possible to replace them with some better ones?

The ones Saitek use are made specifically for their throttle quadrant and are not good quality.

Possible is (if the new pot fit, see bellow), the issue is the potentiometer used in joystick/throttle have the resistive trail done to be read in ~30/50 degrees (made under order) - to match the movement of joy grip or throttle lever.

Conventional pot' (the one that you find do buy in shops or online) have typically 270 degrees trail.

Using this 270 degrees pot' you are not able to vary the voltage send for controller from 0 to 5, but ~1/3 or more, what result in lower resolution send by controller to games.

But if you install this pot' will work, the issue is:

If this Saitek throttle controller are 10 bits - 1.024 points, you now are able to reach only ~340 points due the less turn in pot, and thus low voltage variation (Well, still better than CH joy/throttles resolution = 8 bits, 256 points). :D

Other issue is the pot physical size: you need the same size to fit in place of the old, the same diameter on axis, same length and same position of D recess (if used)... to replace the old without adaptations.

Anyway look at AliExpress, are a good choice that you find there pot' made specifically for joysticks, since this is all China made.

Or maybe the solution came from disassembling one these PS-3 replacement mini-stick, they use the same kind of 30/40 degress pot' and at least visually they look like the "ell cheapo" used be Saitek... :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Thumbstick-Analog-Stick-Joystick-For-Playstation-3-PS3-Controller-/221823990263?hash=item33a5bd79f7:g:ClwAAOSwPcVVoGo-

Each came with 2 pot's.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Finding one the right size to fit is the big issue here - I and many others (I spent a very long time searching the internet and kept finding the same situation) have been unable to source one that will even fit, let alone have the required electrical properties.

I think this may have been a deliberate move by Saitek - and is normal in business today.

Make something that requires the unit to be repaired or serviced in the company workshops - therefore increasing profits. Either that or make it so that the item must be repurchased when it fails.

Morally corrupt, but it's the unfortunate way of things these days.

If you do happen to find one that will fit - do let us know so we can spread the word ;)

Kneeboard Guides

• 1 month later...
People keep harping on about not using WD40 - I'm a radio technician (my first trade) since 1983 and I have always used it and never had any issues at all because of it. I also used it many times to clean up vintage amateur radio gear.

Have yet to see any concrete proof that it's bad for electrical contacts, too.

Use what you like, though - just saying :)

I got some bad experience with it. But well... It was a long time ago, I don't remember any specifics.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

Great information in this thread! I am also considering replacing the worn-out spiking trim pots on my Saitek throttle quadrant.

However I wonder if someone could please clarify a couple of things for me.

(1) When I inspect the rotation angle of the lever, it is about 85 degrees, about 80 degrees of rotation in the potentiometer range and about 5 degrees in the detent (switch) range.

However, in post #7, Sokol1_br writes of a resistive trail of 30 deg to 50 deg. Which is it?

(2) The pot when inserted in the Saitek quad behaves as if it has a switch in the detent at the lower extreme. How is this achieved practically? Is it done via the firmware flashed to the controller? Note that the potentiometer itself does not have a switch at either extreme.

Thank you!

Chakko.

Edited by tomahawk66

Just a guess, Saitek firmware can use specific value at end or start of pot' reading, e.g. 0 or 3,2 volts to activate the button.

With a multimeter you can measure the actual potentiometer and evaluate his real "electric effective range". Use the resistance scale.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Nope, looks like that since Saitek's are "disposable" no one care in find a replacement solution for their "so, so" pot's. :)

One by one replacement a Hall is not available, but you can DIY a solution, probable need operate with linkage (like R/C) since levers is very close.

Anyway talk to Rel4y, he are able to make one: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Edited by Sokol1_br

I started to clean mine, and now its just laying around here in parts... For weeks! =(

This is not really fun to work with and if I have to redo this often... Should I just throw them in the trash? Been using them for not much needed axis, like nozzles on harrier, rotor brake in helicopters etc. but not really sure if it is worth the trouble.

• 9 months later...

Hmm, was hoping for a better outcom on this.

Kinda makes me wonder about the market for a long-lasting precise competitor to this... maybe using Hall or Magneto Resistive sensors instead of cheap pots?

Edit:

Hmm, that thread Sergey_Pe posted from Avsim, do I understand it that the last poster there used the pots from a gamepad joystick, successfully??! And that it was cheap, and very much longer lasting, possibly better quality pot, like a CH or Thrustmaster pot ?

Seems like the results aren't yet certain, if I understand it was just tried this weekend... but this is potentiometrically good news!

Edited by Rick50