Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

Personally i would prefer to see the livestream and see how its really looking and also running performance wise than to watch a fancy trailer...

Why would a "Fancy Trailer" not show how its "really looking"? And how does this affect percieved performance representation?

Does GA use techniques that do not represent in game footage? If so, I did not know that was the case.

Color me uninformed I suppose. :doh:

Please enlighten me. Never to old to learn!

Wags did say the Livestream is delayed until after pre-purchase is available...so you will get both.

Edited by MegOhm_SD
  • Like 2

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

A livestream obviously gives a much better impression of what the map will look like/be like to fly around in in game than a 2 minute trailer which will obviously be edited and cut to make things look good. Trailers are cool, but I think David is saying he would prefer getting a look at 'gameplay' rather than watching 2 minutes of film with wow factor. The Spitfire trailer was cool, and its great advertisement/hype building but I think at this point many of us are hoping for a bit more 'preview' and a little less advertising.

• Like 1

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Why would a "Fancy Trailer" not show how its "really looking"? And how does this affect percieved performance representation?

Does GA use techniques that do not represent in game footage? If so, I did not know that was the case.

Color me uninformed I suppose. doh.gif

Wags did say the Livestream is delayed until after pre-purchase is available...so you will get both.

a fancy trailer, is very often edited..take for example the spitfire trailer, with the black&white historical look footage...

there is an ingame tool, i think its called record AVI, where you can record every single frame smoothly, and the result is a perfectly running trailer without a single stutter, which doesnt necessarily represent what it would be like when you are actually playing the sim. i think it was GA who gave some recording tips a couple of years ago in a very informative thread...

furthermore, a trailer obviously is not trying to show potential problems/glitches etc, but rather showing the best of the best, in likely quickly paced action scenes, which do look awesome, and are aimed to hype the mood of the beholder. its advertisment.

while a live stream definitely is advertisment as well, its a more "honest" way of it. its definitely more informative, as a livestream is not cut down to 2minutes, consisting of a row of several clips lasting a few seconds, but is 1big clip uncut, also showing "the bad and the ugly".

we already saw a "Normandy" trailer, with the actual spitfire trailer. and while im sure that the real normandy trailer will reveal some new stuff, im sure we all know way more about the map once we saw the livestream.

yes we will get both, and thats cool, but all of the above is why i personally am more looking forward to the livestream than the upcoming trailer which im sure will be awesome as well, but nevertheless it will be a trailer. maybe you indeed learned something from my post. wink.gif

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed
  • Like 1

Color me uninformed I suppose. :doh:

Really??? :doh:

• Like 2

Take a look at my MODS here

Always amazed me how people find an excuse for discussing everything.

Even the most absurd things.

• Like 1

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

A trailer for a game is like a trailer for a movie. It is just what the producers want you to see and has little bearing on the actual quality of the product. GA makes great ones and they are pretty to watch but I take them with a grain of salt.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Always amazed me how people find an excuse for discussing everything.

Even the most absurd things.

+10000 Always baffles me how some people always find the tiniest and most idiotic excuse to complain/moan about the most irrelevant thing :doh:.

I also was waiting to watch Wags' livestream, but we're probably getting the map sooner than expected mates, just look at that.

S!

P.S.: for the record, I haven't ever seen ANY other game more honest with teaser vids than DCS is. Edited or not, as they have be in order to make a vid, they are always exclusively in-game footage as opposed to everything else.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I just rewatched the GA Spitfire video, IMHO it gives a good indication of what the spit is actually like in game now that we have it.

The Normandy map looks great and I am sure the Normandy promotion video will likewise give a good idea of what we will get on release in an enjoyable form, GA video's are of course essential viewing and always so well done.

I am looking forward to whatever we get screenies and video. I am really looking forward to the live stream but maybe with it being after pre-purchase it will be easier to bare than waiting for NTTR was:P

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just rewatched the GA Spitfire video, IMHO it gives a good indication of what the spit is actually like in game now that we have it.

The Normandy map looks great and I am sure the Normandy promotion video will likewise give a good idea of what we will get on release in an enjoyable form, GA video's are of course essential viewing and always so well done.

I am looking forward to whatever we get screenies and video.

+1!!!

I am really looking forward to the live stream but maybe with it being after pre-purchase it will be easier to bare than waiting for NTTR was:P

Ouch, I remember having NTTR when I first bought the A-10C so many years ago and then the map disappeared... yeah, that was a tough wait to finally get it back in my grubby little hands. :D

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

The new screenshots are looking great. B-17 model looks awesome and the reflections off of the fuselage are cool too.

A question for the devs.... A couple buddies and I were looking at the airfields in the background and noticed they are still fairly long. I know it was said somewhere that alot of the airfields in Normandy had SMT plating etc but are there any 'less prepared' airfields on the map as well? Operating from really short grass and dirt runways is tons of fun in these old prop planes.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

*sigh*

was that an echo?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

*sigh*

WIP AI aircraft flying over a WIP map.

Ok, ok, no need to "sigh" Im sorry, I know its WIP, just forget to mention it...it was just a little comment, the model is looking great and I know it will have proper propellers ;)

EDIT: I dont think giving me a bad rep point was necessary Sith...:shifty:

Edited by watermanpc
  • Like 1

Take a look at my MODS here

tik-tok

So is it going to be, trailer fallowed by Out now!!! kind of release?

Would it be the first time?

Specs: i7-4790K @4.00 ghz, EVGA 2080ti , 16GB ram, Samsung 512GB SSD x2.

Gear: Virpil Alpha stick with Mongoos T-50CM2 throttle, Combat-Pro flight pedals, Track ir 5 & Reverb G2

:megalol::megalol: The new B-17 shots are awesome, man I cant wait! And the detail is so good I think the rivet counters may even get tired of counting them!:megalol::megalol::pilotfly::pilotfly::joystick::joystick:

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]