Briefing Map Route Leg Planning Notation (numbers)

Anyone know where I can read up more on the system of route planning used to mark the legs on the briefing maps:

7P3HOOY.png

JRpnKVd.png

I think that, in the first example, I am seeing the [strikeout]speed[/strikeout] distance above and time (? I think?) below, followed by the heading, while in the second example it's just bearing above and [strikeout]speed[/strikeout] distance below.

Is this standard notation in GA? Or just military? Or just Russian military aviation? Is it standardized convention as to what the number mean and how they are written? If so, why are these two maps different?

Edited by Bearfoot

I was wondering the same exact thing... I couldn't make heads or tails of it when trying the campaigns out...

My best guess was this in the top picture:

distance (KM)/Altituide x100(M) and the number to the side with the degree was the heading to fly to.

for example from Java to Leningori head 114 degrees for 59km altitude of 1600 M.

In the bottom photo my guess is this and why they are different I have no idea:

Heading(DEG)/Distance(KM) for example from waypoint 1 to 2 is head 249 degrees for 45 km

Those are my best guesses, i'm not exactly sure but I want to know what these really are too! Maybe then I can resume the campaigns because without understanding these notes I am lost as well.

My understanding si this:

First picture, [time (min)]/[distance (km)] * heading

Second picture, heading/[distance (km)]

I'm not sure though.

My use of heading above might as well be track, true or magnetic I don't know. If you have missions corresponding to the pictures you can use the planing tool during briefing to measure distance and track and compare.

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

At a closer look I realized time and distance shall be swapped in my description above:

First picture, [distance (km)]/[time (min)] * heading

Second picture, heading/[time (min)]

I believe the small squares in the first one are 2km a side. I remember that mission.

WP2-WP3: 8km 2min

WP3-WP4: 6km 2min (massive climb takes longer time)

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Interesting. I thought this would have been documented somewhere, and I was one of the odd ones out that missed it! I've been digging through various navigation manuals, charts, etc., and have not seen this notation ... yet I vaguely remember seeing something like this in some sort of helicopter operations manual?

• 3 weeks later...