Virpil MT50 - Full Teardown & Score

Aviators

I was willing to buy, but after this video, I have some doubts. is it really so poor as quality?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

Umm ok, but that video seemed to be a very positive review??

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not sure what you're on about, nothing I saw in that video would stop me from buying one.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

OK, I'm confused. That seemed like a very positive review.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Umm ok, but that video seemed to be a very positive review??

And why not? He don't find any "game stop".

Is know since day one that VPC grips shells, buttons, HAT's are made in plastic (and not in jewelry metal) - cast receive 8.5 note, seems fair compared with 10 of the previous teardown - Warthog.

Switches under plastic cap are OMRON (used too by CH and VKB) - better than open copper membrane use in an "famous" stick or switches in Saitek's.

The hot glue fixing connectors make interior looks "handicraft" but are common in low production electronics. Saitek's love this. :D

Wires look's a bit more thick than in CH sticks - know for last decades.

Opera resume: grip assembly are not in Iphone standards, but seems functional. :joystick:

Edited by Sokol1_br

has also created other videos about the hotas warthog and VKB. this of virpil ranked third...

look at the final score

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

OP, are you focusing on the grip, or grip and base?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

• ED Team

Aviators, perfect links, many thanks.

I see only one device created by people with good engineering skill - VKB MCG.

Edited by USSR_Rik

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

Honestly, all 3: VKB, VPC and TMWH have grips that are all about the same. Each have pros/cons or something you might prefer in one over the other.

For me, I cannot stand the short Hat-switch movement of the VKB/VPC. The TMWH Trimmer hat feels so much better.

But anyone would be happy with any of those options. I'm particularly interested in the new VPC stick with additional push buttons on hats. But I don't think I'll get over the the TMWH hat switch.

Does Thrustmaster sell the WH grip separately?

I don't want to advertise negatively. I'm just trying to clarify and understand the product. I was willing to buy, and I hope the VPC team gets better with time.

I don't want to advertise negatively. I'm just trying to clarify and understand the product. I was willing to buy, and I hope the VPC team gets better with time.

No problem, we were just trying to understand what in that video review gave you the poor impression.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I don't see anything "poor" in that grip. Instead a very very good design.

I do say two things, that the amount of hotglue is a good thing, but can make parts swapping just little more difficult.

And the only thing that I personally find as negative is the plastic break leveler that I would think I would some day pull to two pieces.

Otherwise I don't see anything wrong in that grip.

When a cheap Saitek/Logitech grips survive, then those will survive 100th times better.

And when it comes to bases, that is where the difference is.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

For me, I cannot stand the short Hat-switch movement of the VKB/VPC. The TMWH Trimmer hat feels so much better.

... VPC stick with additional push buttons on hats. But I don't think I'll get over the the TMWH hat switch.

In this you are right, Tm HAT's construction use an dedicated spring for add "weight" in HAT operation, VKB/VPC/CH/Saitek use just the micro-switch copper membrane.

I can't stand the DCS input system for the trimmer buttons, you can't do any fine trimming with them as you need to do shortest possible press of any trimming button to get the trimming accurate. I am constantly balancing trimming with half to one degree accuracy and I can get better leveling without trimming then.

The TM WH trimmer is even worse as it doesn't have possibility to quickly tap the trim so you get instant feedback that it is done.

Where a such flexible hat is nice is when you need to do the confirmation by that larger motion of hat direction for example select the the display or weapon.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I don't see anything "poor" in that grip. Instead a very very good design.

I do say two things, that the amount of hotglue is a good thing, but can make parts swapping just little more difficult.

And the only thing that I personally find as negative is the plastic break leveler that I would think I would some day pull to two pieces.

Otherwise I don't see anything wrong in that grip.

When a cheap Saitek/Logitech grips survive, then those will survive 100th times better.

And when it comes to bases, that is where the difference is.

I would like to see a metal replacement for that - the analog operation, coupled with the thin plastic makes it feel very vague for me. Otherwise, I think the new TM50 v2 hits the mark.

Z...

my doubt is seen the low score compared to the warthog hotas.

Is just one guy opinion, most people will consider VKB casting better, but he give lower note for this - probable due issue with embed bolt nuts in some (VKB) grips.

Grips.jpg

VKB grip electronics are completely different - and has advanced features, than Warthog/VPC, but he give same note for Warthog/VKB.

VPC/Warthog grip electronics is the same (CD4021 shift register).

Edited by Sokol1_br

• ED Team

These video are useful 'as is' because of we can see internal grips structure and make our own verdicts. Score and range are personal author opinion, no more, because of no clear criteria.

But regarding Electronics and Engineering: you can just compare 'spaghetti' in TM and VPC devices with wires in VKB - it's enough. A huge qty of hot glue in first two grips also says about engineering... guys, it's 'homemade' design and technology (despite of TM is well known and enough old company). Not too bad to glue some wires in some dots by hot glue, but here we see mass use of it.

BTW, brass thread inserts in VKB grip is sign of good and robust design.

Processor in VKB joystick is modern Cortex 32-bit chip. It allows to get perfect firmware right now and have very good perspectives. Perfect engineering? Surely.

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы