VR with 2080 TI SLI DCS Crashes?

Naruto

I know VR does not work with SLI cards but I do know that with DCS and SLI with a monitor, its a much more smoother gaming experience since I can see both cards use the same amount of VRAM roughly around 8Gs per card.

Now I had two MSI X Trio cards in SLI mode that I believe DCS ran fine on with my Oculas Rift even though no real advantage in FPS but I got rid of them since I hate MSI and I bought two Asus Strix 2080 TI cards but now DCS crashes when trying to run in VR mode with the new cards. DCS runs fine with a monitor with the Asus SLI mode. Disabling SLI mode with the Nvidia user panel to get VR working with one card now requires me to kill several programs using the task manager and one of them happens to be my warthog which means I have to reboot my PC every time I switch between VR and a monitor every time I enable and disable SLI mode. Quite a pain in the butt.

I could of swore VR worked when I had the MSI X Trio cards but its been a while and don't quite remember if it did or not now. If I disable SLI mode, one Asus card with work in VR fine. Using latest Nvidia drivers.

Anyone else get crashes in DCS with 2080 TI SLI enabled in VR?

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

!

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Maybe I'm the only one lol. Figured they may be more of us out there playing DCS in 20 series SLI or NVLink as they call it now. I may try going back a few Nvidia driver and see if I can get it to stop crashing.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

!

sli is not supported in vr by any hmd

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

sli is not supported in vr by any hmd

Yes I understand that but I could have swore DCS still ran in VR ok with it enabled and didn't crash when I had two MSI 2080 TI X Trios like it does now with two Asus 2080 TI strix. With NVLink, two cards didn't increase in FPS or share the work load but what it did do was share to memory usage to 16 to 18 Gbs of Vram between the two GPUs. It made the game very smooth and not jittery.

I'm just asking if anyone else has crashes running in SLI mode with 20 series GPUs or if the sim actually runs with NVlink enabled, that's all.

OK guys I got my issue resolved. I can now play DCS with 20 series NVlink enabled with both 2080 TI strixs together in VR. I had thought with 32 gigs of ram, I didn't need a windows page file. Well boy was I wrong :). Turns out with no page file set up I would crash DCS in VR mode with SLI and I was also not able to get into any multiplayer servers and would get constant crashes there too. So I put page file back to default and all my DCS crashes are now gone in VR and multiplayer.

Lesson learned. Hope this helps others.

on the internet, it’s often incorrectly suggested, as a way to increase performance.

Yep, was always under the impression from the internet with enough memory, you didn't need windows page file and to turn it off to increase PC performance and having a page file made games run slower.

Edited by Naruto

So have you seen a real improvement in VR with using twin 2080tis?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

So have you seen a real improvement in VR with using twin 2080tis?

I have everything to max settings to high except MSAA is at 2x, setting of 4x kills FPS to around 30 FPS and SSAA off since 1.5 will kill FPS too. PD is set at 2.0 but anything higher than 2.2 drops FPS

and makes DCS unplayable. Can't tell the difference at 2.2 from 2.0 so I leave it at 2.0. It visually looks very good but If I turn off MSAA it looks blurry so I leave it at 2x for better visuals

I am at a constant 45 FPS on the Oculas but once in a while it drops a few FPS for a split second when looking at heavily populated areas. Game play feels really smooth but I get no increase in FPS even with AWS off unless I look straight up into the sky or ocean, FPS will go to 90. So not sure if AWS is turning off and locking me in at 45 FPS most of the time. There is no in between, looking though the HUD, I'm at 45 FPS, look up, it goes straight to 90 FPS, no other FPS in the middle ever shows up. I am not using steam to start VR but using the DCS Updater Utility to start it in VR.

I have not really played around with it since I just got it stable last night and may not have the right programs installed to properly test the FPS. I have only tested it last night will stock DCSbeta version since I want to pass IC in multiplayer. I have not tested my DCSbetaMod version with the VR mod installed yet to see if I can increase the settings more.

One thing that I think helps with how smooth the game play feels whether in VR or using a monitor with NVlink enabled, DCS load another 8 gigs to the VRM of the second card since I believe the VRM is shared with both cards. I actually felt like puking a few times in the F-18 after a few twist and turns last night which has only happened when I first got the Oculas.

Edited by Naruto

Naruto,

Do you happen to have Persian Gulf and FA18 module?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Naruto,

Do you happen to have Persian Gulf and FA18 module?

Yes, I have both.

the rift is designed to run at 90fps.

if that rate can not be obtained, it drops to 45fps and invokes special code to interpolate between the two slow frames to provide a smoother view

I thought turning off aws allowed it to run higher than 45 which I did using the OculusTrayTool by setting DCS to off in a profile and globally?

Yes, I have both.

Could you give this a try? Curious what you see in terms of FPS.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3732526&postcount=10

The setting I used was (toggle the shadows on and off on both sides of the column)

RWc2N9U.jpg

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Could you give this a try? Curious what you see in terms of FPS.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3732526&postcount=10

The setting I used was (toggle the shadows on and off on both sides of the column)

RWc2N9U.jpg

What pixel density do you want me to try it at?

With a PD of 2.0

FPS is all over the place where I seen it go as low as 29 for a split second when looking at populated areas to 90 when looking at non populated areas. Looking out the HUD at cities with tall buildings anywhere from 43 to 65. If I were to fly over a city and bank 90 degrees looking at the buildings, the FPS is in the 50s but once again flying level looking out HD at a city at a distance FPS I would say would be closer to 47 to 50. The FPS bounces all of the place to get a average is not possible. I just feels smooth and did not get jittery. This is with stock DCSbeta no mods.

With a PD of 2.0

FPS is all over the place where I seen it go as low as 29 for a split second when looking at populated areas to 90 when looking at non populated areas. Looking out the HUD at cities with tall buildings anywhere from 43 to 65. If I were to fly over a city and bank 90 degrees looking at the buildings, the FPS is in the 50s but once again flying level looking out HD at a city at a distance FPS I would say would be closer to 47 to 50. The FPS bounces all of the place to get a average is not possible. I just feels smooth and did not get jittery. This is with stock DCSbeta no mods.

Gotcha. Yeah, I tried 2.0 I think. But it didn't seem to make too much of a difference. But Shadows really makes FPS jump all over the place.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

if it’s only doing 45 or 90, and nothing in between, AWS must still be on.

Figured out when I had mostly all the settings maxed out is stayed at 45 FPS but when I lowered settings to test hansangb settings, it fluctuates all over from 29 to 90 depending where I was looking but I would say it averaged around 56 FPS if I had to pick a number.

Now with the VR mod in DCSbeta, I was able to increase MSAA to 4X and SAA to 1.5 with max settings and it stayed mostly at 47FPS in Caucus and 45 in Persian Gulf. Viewing heavy populated ares it dropped to about 40 - 43 FPS.

All in all, I am very happy with my setup. Now I just got to get a Primax 5+. BTW - I had the 2080 TIs OC to +130 core and +800 Memory.

Edited by Naruto