[CORRECT AS IS] Question about F16 HSD scale granularity

Sharpe_95

Hi everyone,

I just wondered whether there was any intention for a 7.5/5nm scale for the F16 HSD (ie a level below the current 15/10nm scale)? I dont know if it simply hasn't been developed yet or if there will be no such scale as it is not present on the F16 model ED are making for us?

-S

I think it might be to do with it mimicking the scale of the radar, because you can couple and centre the HSD, in the centre mode you get the same scale as the FCR, when coupled the zoom of the radar denotes the distance seen in the HSD.

And I’m pretty sure our block of F16 modelled probably doesn’t do odd increments

As of 2010, USAF F-16C (block 40/42/50/52) with OFP M5.1+ (TCTO 1F-16-2570 or ECP2602) HSD scale was 5, 15, 30, 60, 120, and 240 nm when depress and 7.5, 10, 20, 40, 80, and 160 nm when centered.

Anything below OFP M5.1+, would be 15, 30, 60, 120, and 240 nm depress and 10, 20, 40, 80, and 160 nm center.

So, HSD in OFP M3.4+ OFP (ECP 2584R-76), M4.2A+ (ECP 3016R-76) etc. would be same as in DCS, so it seems accurate to me.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Hi everyone.

Thanks for your feedback. If I am reading this correctly I belive the general answer is:

'Yes we probably will get the MFD 5/7.5nm scale once ED get round to putting it into the module'.

Many thanks,

-S

The answer is:

The specific version of the USAF F-16C block 50 circa 2007 did not have that versions of the OFP in RL and is up to ED if they want to add it or not.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The answer is:

The specific version of the USAF F-16C block 50 circa 2007 did not have that versions of the OFP in RL and is up to ED if they want to add it or not.

Thanks. And as the post had been labelled 'correct as is' I guess we will have to make do with the 10/15 scale.

Thanks for answers guys :)

-S

Not really crazy if you know the F-16. The aircraft is always been user base (meaning every air force that uses the aircraft has different update/upgrade priorities)

Some air forces have use missile launch detection, reconnaissance pods, conformal fuel tanks, internal jammers for years, USAF never has. Some have use additional chaff and flare buckets on the pylons for years, USAF just started to, and only on older blocks (30/32 in the ANG AFAIK).

Japans and UAE have use AESA for some time now, US is just tarting conversion, again AFAIK, on ANG birds.

But USAF has use over the horizon communications for close to 10 years now, nobody else does. HTS pod are only use in the US.

It is also easier and cheaper for a country with less than 100 F-16 and only one or two version to update its entire fleet when compared to the USAF, considering at one point it had hundreds of F-16 with 8 different versions and many more sub-versions. Luke AFB alone had more F-16 and more versions that several countries around the world.

That is why manuals are very specific what serial numbers the manuals apply to. If a manual does not state the different subversion, the TCTO/ECP/modifications, the year, those manuals are very likely modified and/or incomplete.

Edited by mvsgas
spelling

To whom it may concern,