[NOT A BUG] F/A-18C Started sounding a bit weird ... ww2 prop ?

Worrazen

Well, sometimes, when it's kinda spooling down when you go up high and go to a corner, it feels as if there's a propellor going off, like one of those WW2 propellors, I don't remember hearing that months back, or last year.

I'll do a recording next time to show the example.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Well, sometimes, when it's kinda spooling down when you go up high and go to a corner, it feels as if there's a propellor going off, like one of those WW2 propellors, I don't remember hearing that months back, or last year.

I'll do a recording next time to show the example.

The propeller-like sound in front external views when above 350kts has been there for couples of months now. It was introduced in one of the update earlier this year iirc.

AFAIK, not sure if this sound is realistic to the Hornet and ED has not said anything about it.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I opened a bug report months ago about this "turbo-prop" sound, and apparently it is realistic.

In fact, if you do an F3 view above 350-400Kts, you'll hear the veyr nice and typical whine of the F-18. In F2 view, that whine (without the doppler effect) sounds like a prop.

I read somewhere it's given by a change of air pressure going through the intakes..

Edited by bkthunder

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Great to know it is realistic to the Hornet. I kind of like the sound.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I opened a bug report months ago about this "turbo-prop" sound, and apparently it is realistic.

In fact, if you do an F3 view above 350-400Kts, you'll hear the veyr nice and typical whine of the F-18. In F2 view, that whine (without the doppler effect) sounds like a prop.

I read somewhere it's given by a change of air pressure going through the intakes..

You may be right, im not sure but i personally feel it's a bug. Never heard any such sound from any turbine IRL. If it is realistic its way overdone. Just looked through the F/A-18 sounds folder and i cant find any sound remotely close to this.

The 400 kts whine is a thing. Pretty subjective to weather it is accurate in the game however. Given the only way to know how it "should be" is by recording the sound, externally from the cockpit, transition from 350ish kts to 400, in flight.

Just some perspective ... :)

Great perspective.

This clear the air for me on the authenticity of that sound coming from you Lex. Thanks.

I can't find it right now but ED said it is correct. In the F2 view the camera is moving at the same speed like the Hornet that is why it sounds strange, this effect is meant to be listened in the F3 view.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Okay lovely. The effect being realistic then is fine, but if it sounds like a prop just because the camera is moving with the plane in the F2 view you'd have to test if that's also true in real life, sounding like a prop.

I guess it's fine, the problem is I don't seem to like it as it seems out of place, but I'm probably at fault because a true player would need to be a real pilot first, but even real pilots don't have the F2 view heh.

It's one of those oh well things. I guess not going out to F2 view on purpose should help.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Seems strange that no one has ever heard this sound on any RL flybys? No RL pilots have ever said "oh yeah i hear this lil prop rumble when my wingman is at my 4 or 5 o'c @ 400kts.. It's just this elusive "oh yeah that's realistic modeling of RL".

Doesn't sit well with me. And it's not a 400 kts thing, the sounds increases in frequency as you accelerate up to 500kts. ( not sure where it stops/ or if it does as i have not tested that recently)

Anyway i digress as it doesn't really bother me, what bothers me is how quickly people jump on the "its realistic" bandwagon when there is nothing true to life to back it up.

Seems strange that no one has ever heard this sound on any RL flybys? No RL pilots have ever said "oh yeah i hear this lil prop rumble when my wingman is at my 4 or 5 o'c @ 400kts.. It's just this elusive "oh yeah that's realistic modeling of RL".

Doesn't sit well with me. And it's not a 400 kts thing, the sounds increases in frequency as you accelerate up to 500kts. ( not sure where it stops/ or if it does as i have not tested that recently)

Anyway i digress as it doesn't really bother me, what bothers me is how quickly people jump on the "its realistic" bandwagon when there is nothing true to life to back it up.

It is real. And it does pick up above 400 knots. It is by far most pronounced from inside the cockpit.

.. it is a thing.

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

How about 2 rw Hornet pilots in this very forum who just said that it's modeled correctly? I understand where you're coming from, but in this specific case two real Hornet pilots just answered it for you.

Pretty subjective to weather it is accurate in the game however. Given the only way to know how it "should be" is by recording the sound, externally from the cockpit, transition from 350ish kts to 400, in flight.

That is NOT confirmation of a turbo prop sound. I understand the howl and whine of the F/A-18, i have seen many fly-bys/ displays. I just question the TURBO PROP sound.